Asus Strix Z390i 9900k compatibility

I'm looking to purchase a mini-itx board (specifically, the Asus Z390i) along with a 9900k but there was a review on Newegg that concerned me. The guy said he had to buy an 8 series CPU just to update the bios to be able to support a 9900k. Is this true? Should I be looking for another motherboard because of this? And will I run into this same problem with any other brands?

The original BIOS on that board, version 0238, only supports 8th-gen chips, and 9th-gen chips were supported from BIOS version 0311. So it's possible that if you were shipped an original BIOS-equipped model you wouldn't be able to use the 9900k without an update via a 8th-gen CPU.

If it has to be mini-ITX your best bet would be to look at the Z390-I Aorus Pro Wifi board from Gigabyte as it will support 9th-gen chips out of the box, or you could look at the other (white-tier) ITX boards listed here:
https://www.overclock.net/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=250662&d=1548963030

You may not be able to overclock a 9900k much on an ITX board due to cut-down VRM sections if that matters at all.

I believe you, but how is that possible? 390 chipset was FOR that generation cpu. Wasn't the 9900k part of the "first released" batch of cpus?

If it was... that's bad planning on manufacturers part.

Thought it was for the 8XXX series and came out a nudge before 9XXX? Could be wrong...

edit: looked it up. Right around the same time, but technically hte Z390 beat it by a nudge to market. They were developed together, but that doens't mean it was ready on day 1.

Back