ASUS ROG Strix-E in use for one week, now shuts down and system won't restart

x509

2[H]4U
Has anyone else had this problem with an ASUS board?

This morning, I was using my system when it suddenly shut down. Twice I pressed the power button and the system booted up to Windows, only to shut down within a minute or two. After that, all I get when I press the power button is the fans spin for maybe 2 seconds and then they stop. I've done that a half-dozen times. I've turned off the PSU, waited until the RBG lights on the motherboard go out, then turn on the PSU, and then press the power button. System still won't start.

When i first installed this board, a week ago, it would intermittently not boot up or hang on the ROG splash screen. But that was a week ago and it has been trouble-free since then. Until now.

I'm running BIOS 1.408 and the 19.30 version of the chipset drivers. Other drivers are the latest available from the ASUS website. The video card is the same one I was using before I upgraded the system, because I haven't decided on a vid card upgrade yet.

Does the post code give you any hint at what's wrong? Or just sitting at "AA" as if everything's fine?

I just tried to start again. I think the first post code is 14, but that lasts for only a fraction of a second. Then the code is 00 and the system shuts down.

I have used the CH8 and the X570-Pro and I haven't had any issues like you're describing.

I would think that there's some other part of your system malfunctioning as you don't have a post code long enough to tell you. If it were just the board, you would get a post code to tell you what's wrong.

I'd start with testing the PSU and the memory.

Reactions: DrDoU
like this
I just tried to start again. I think the first post code is 14, but that lasts for only a fraction of a second. Then the code is 00 and the system shuts down.

You can try re-flashing the bios but the "00" is not good news. Might have to RMA, especially if you're positive the PSU is good. And asus support is a godawful so I hope you don't have to.

You can try re-flashing the bios but the "00" is not good news. Might have to RMA, especially if you're positive the PSU is good. And asus support is a godawful so I hope you don't have to.

I agree about ASUS support. I went through that awful support about 18 months ago with a friend's build. Right now, who knows what the turnaround would be on an RMA.

There is this thread in the general motherboard forum about a Gigabyte Aorus board that had about the same problem. Like 70+ posts.

So based on the comments in this thread and that other thread, I'm going to test out the motherboard and graphics card for any shorts. If I don't find any, then I will have to pull the motherboard out from the case, and test out all the PSU leads with my PSU tester. My PSU is a Corsair AX 850, been rock solid for years. I will also test out CMOS battery voltages and probably replace that battery. Then I'll put it all back together and see if it boots up. Either way, I will call ASUS. I just checked their website and because of corona virus, they have suspended all phone support. Chat only.

I sure hope that I don't need to RMA this board. It worked just fine for a week.

So it's time for an update. I'm the OP iin this thread, and I'm happy to report that my is back up and running. :D (y)

So I stripped out damn near everything from my case except the PSU. Following a suggestion in this thread, https://hardforum.com/threads/gigabyte-x570-aorus-master-wont-power-on-solution.1993194/ I removed the CMOS battery overnight and tested it.

Then I used this tester https://www.newegg.com/thermaltake-...ltake_dr._power_tester-_-99-109-003-_-Product to verify that the PSU was good. I don't use this tester very much but when I need it, it replaces having a spare PSU.

So first I installed just the motherboard/CPU/RAM along with the CMOS battery. Powered up into some indeterminate state, but fans were spinning and it didn't shut down. Then I installed the video card and keyboard/mouse and booted into BIOS. I got some messages about restoring BIOS settings, and the system clock was all wrong, but no big deal to make things right. Then installed SSD and booted into Windows. Then I installed the USB 3 ports card, plugged in the front panel USB and it still all worked. Then the 3 HDDs. Still all worked.

So I'm happy that my rig is up and running, but I will definitely be chatting with ASUS tomorrow. Because of COVID, there is no phone support right now. I am thrilled that I don't need to do an RMA. :D (y)

So it's time for an update. I'm the OP iin this thread, and I'm happy to report that my is back up and running. :D (y)

So I stripped out damn near everything from my case except the PSU. Following a suggestion in this thread, https://hardforum.com/threads/gigabyte-x570-aorus-master-wont-power-on-solution.1993194/ I removed the CMOS battery overnight and tested it.

Then I used this tester https://www.newegg.com/thermaltake-ac0015/p/N82E16899109003?Description=thermaltake dr. power tester&cm_re=thermaltake_dr._power_tester-_-99-109-003-_-Product to verify that the PSU was good. I don't use this tester very much but when I need it, it replaces having a spare PSU.

So first I installed just the motherboard/CPU/RAM along with the CMOS battery. Powered up into some indeterminate state, but fans were spinning and it didn't shut down. Then I installed the video card and keyboard/mouse and booted into BIOS. I got some messages about restoring BIOS settings, and the system clock was all wrong, but no big deal to make things right. Then installed SSD and booted into Windows. Then I installed the USB 3 ports card, plugged in the front panel USB and it still all worked. Then the 3 HDDs. Still all worked.

So I'm happy that my rig is up and running, but I will definitely be chatting with ASUS tomorrow. Because of COVID, there is no phone support right now. I am thrilled that I don't need to do an RMA. :D (y)
Update. I ran memtest and found out that I had a bad RAM stick. So I did the RMA with Crucial and that took maybe 2 weeks round trip. New RAM has been in the system for a month now, rock-solid. I'm an even happier camper. :)

i got the same board and love it but i did have some rather wierd issues my self with it not posting sometimes and i found reinstalling my cpu fixed all that for some reason. And been running the new beta bios and it works great posts faster and i get a better overclock with it.

i got the same board and love it but i did have some rather wierd issues my self with it not posting sometimes and i found reinstalling my cpu fixed all that for some reason. And been running the new beta bios and it works great posts faster and i get a better overclock with it.
I just looked at the ASUS website but I didn't see any beta BIOS. Just 1502. Where can I find the beta?

Back