Asus Rog Maximus XIII Hero No Room for a "PCIEX" card

cemster

n00b
Hello,

I am building a WS with an Asus Rog Maximus XIII Hero Mobo...

When I install an ASUS DUAL-GTX1660TI-O6G-EVO card to the first PCI connector: PCIEx16_1

The small PCIEX1 connector is buried under the GPU card!

The second PCI connector: PCIEx16_2 would work but then the manual says that use the PCIEx16_1 slot is assigned for installing a single GPU card...
So I lose the small PCIE slot. I have a 'UAD-2 SOLO PCIE' card that I need to install...

So how am I going to do that? I wish I could use PCIEx16_2 instead.

Any idea how to solve this problem?

Do you have any other cards to install?

If you've just got the two cards, options with a three slot gpu seem to be:

a) put the gpu in the first x16 slot, put the other thing in the second x16 slot; it'll probably make the first slot x8, but whatever.

b) put the gpu in the second slot, it'll probably work fine, but limited to x8, I'd guess. Then you can put your thing in the chipset x1 slot. The chipset x16 slot would be blocked by your gpu, I think.

c) put the gpu in the first slot and the other thing in the chipset x16; it looks like an x1 card in there won't turn off sata ports, but an x2 or x4 would.

d) something with a riser; pci-e x1 risers are all over, widely used for mining, but seem to be pretty flexible.

Thank you toast0, for your very usefull post...

Yes, I also have a SATA card for extra HDDs...

I think option "D" is the only valid choice for me. I am happy to hear, such instruments exist. Fortunately for me, Asusu Hero comes with an apparatus
that supports heavy GPU cards so that they don't sag...

cheers

I won't put any water block for possible shower on my mobo... It is not a matter of "if", it is a matter of "when"...

@ toast0
I realized the riser is not what l thought but it is a delightful twist. Especially if I can find a USB3.2 version it would be super...

I won't put any water block for possible shower on my mobo... It is not a matter of "if", it is a matter of "when"...

@ toast0
I realized the riser is not what l thought but it is a delightful twist. Especially if I can find a USB3.2 version it would be super...
The risers are marketed as USB 3 because they use a 9-pin USB 3 cable, but they're not actually USB, so there won't be any 3.2 version.

It's really not. Even if it were, off the shelf coolants are generally non-conductive and won't fry your motherboard. I've never killed hardware water cooling and I've been doing it for 15 years and I change computer hardware more often than most people change the oil in their cars.

What I've heard is that; nonconductive fluid in time will become conductive due to collecting ions and then being charged by ions...

And the fact that you never had a problem with LQ might lay on your habit of replacing them like oil... ;)

Back