ASUS releases bios updates for x570 boards

Testing out version 2702 as we speak... hoping for no random reboots...

wasn't stable for me, back to 2402.

CROSSHAIR VIII FORMULA - WHEA LOGGER ERRORS

"Reading about the BIOS issues I thought I'd been doing OK. Updated to 2402 a week or so back...then started having unexpected restarts.​

Digging into it, I found WHEA-Logger errors occurring regularly. The errors seem to have coincided with installing 2311 although I didn't seem to be getting the restarts until 2402. I just installed 2701 this afternoon and am already logging WHEA errors.

It almost seems like they usually occur on an idle system. I haven't had a restart during several recent encoding sessions that ran 80+% for 24+ hours straight.

I run pretty much everything on AUTO with DOCP enabled - g.skill 3600/CL16 2x16GB. I've never fooled with SOC voltage (a bit with CPU core and LLC settings).

I may try going back to 2206....

ROG Crosshair VIII Formula
3950X
32GB g.skill Ripjaws 3600/CL16 RAM
Kraken X62 280mm AIO"

CROSSHAIR VIII FORMULA - WHEA LOGGER ERRORS

"Reading about the BIOS issues I thought I'd been doing OK. Updated to 2402 a week or so back...then started having unexpected restarts.​

Digging into it, I found WHEA-Logger errors occurring regularly. The errors seem to have coincided with installing 2311 although I didn't seem to be getting the restarts until 2402. I just installed 2701 this afternoon and am already logging WHEA errors.

It almost seems like they usually occur on an idle system. I haven't had a restart during several recent encoding sessions that ran 80+% for 24+ hours straight.

I run pretty much everything on AUTO with DOCP enabled - g.skill 3600/CL16 2x16GB. I've never fooled with SOC voltage (a bit with CPU core and LLC settings).

I may try going back to 2206....

ROG Crosshair VIII Formula
3950X
32GB g.skill Ripjaws 3600/CL16 RAM
Kraken X62 280mm AIO"
This may be a stupid question but have you tried a full CMOS reset between BIOSes? Usually I just reset the BIOS to defaults before flashing but a few times I've run into issues after a BIOS update that were fixed with a CMOS reset.

This may be a stupid question but have you tried a full CMOS reset between BIOSes? Usually I just reset the BIOS to defaults before flashing but a few times I've run into issues after a BIOS update that were fixed with a CMOS reset.

Other vendors cropping up with issues.... lots of issues with BIOS on newer AMD:

"Note that Gigabyte uses a very specific naming scheme for their BIOS updates and this BIOS has a letter behind the number so it is a beta BIOS. OC.N has a lot of reports of WHEA errors with this particular BETA."

https://www.techpowerup.com/forums/...rboards-via-bios-updates.275373/#post-4403920

I have no issues with my C8H and 5800x - I think I am on the 2402 beta still? Whatever one was out on Zen 3 release.

I probably won't update until the next AGESA version with PBO2 / Curve Optimizer.

Other vendors cropping up with issues.... lots of issues with BIOS on newer AMD:

"Note that Gigabyte uses a very specific naming scheme for their BIOS updates and this BIOS has a letter behind the number so it is a beta BIOS. OC.N has a lot of reports of WHEA errors with this particular BETA."

https://www.techpowerup.com/forums/...rboards-via-bios-updates.275373/#post-4403920
I've seen a CMOS reset fix similar issues related to agesa updates on am4, there's a good chance it won't fix it but it would certainly be high on my list of things to try in that situation.

Good luck sorting it out soon, been there done that(my worst was a gigabyte board too) and it can be frustrating. I decided to wait until there's a good BIOS out for my board before I even try to get one of the new CPUs this time.

Reactions: erek
like this
sad, just realized the recent BIOS i'm stable on is the Beta BIOS
1606863710211.png

Version 2402 Beta Version2020/11/04

Heard Ryzen 1 was rough
First edition EPYCS weren’t much better. I am a fair ways behind on my BIOS updates on one of my host servers because I am deathly afraid to do them before I have a secondary server built for it. Hopefully next week..

like this
is this related as a topic?

I was running as ASRock x570 Steel Legend and I think PBO damaged my 3700x .. having to constantly restart windows explorer after system goes idle for any length of time on auto or XMP or with mild OC on ram/fclk.. was no longer able to do fclk @ 1900, but my RAM still can do 3800 CAS 18 just fine ..I've since just regulated my setup to 3600 CAS 16 w/fclk @ 1600...

I have since bought an ASRock x570 Taichi with same results with 3700x. I picked up a 3800xt place holder (no more windows explorer issues) and started a warranty replacement for the 3700x through AMD.

New Beta BIOS from ASRock's x570 Taichi 3.80 seems to be back on track for above XMP RAM settings stability

No mention of PBO2 yet...bummer.
Yea thats some bullshit. May be they need more time but their X470 already has AGESA 1.1.8.0 so I am confused why they wouldn't have their newer boards updated by now lol. Probably because they went straight to 1.1.8.0 on those. I guess we just gotta wait. i have been looking in the bios and couldn't find that shit even this latest one. oh well!

(no way i'm trying this until i hear about a truly stable release... been a nightmare on these bioses... see: https://hardforum.com/threads/asus-...v2-pi-1-1-0-0-patch-b.2002763/post-1044788792 )

BIOS
Version 2402 Beta Version
2020/11/04 20.13 MBytes
ROG CROSSHAIR VIII HERO (WI-FI) BIOS 2402
"1. Update AMD AM4 AGESA V2 PI 1.1.0.0 Patch C
2. Improve system stability
3. Improve DRAM compatibility

Example: https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/...FI/ROG-CROSSHAIR-VIII-HERO-WIFI-ASUS-2402.ZIP

d3athf1sh
AGESA, stability and compatibility. Stop pushing Intel XMP RAM up AMD's arse.

man, you got that 5800X quick

Have you ever seen an Intel review with the word "disappointment?" in the thumb nail? Have you ever seen an AMD review that didn't have the word "disappointment?" in the thumb nail? Is this brain washing?

For what its worth, i'm on 3.40 and my system is absolutely stable.
https://www.reddit.com/r/ASRock/comments/jj1b6q/x570_taichi_bios_v360_released_today/

It's hard to find too many things dedicated to the X570 Taichi, and, of course, there's confirmation bias here. People with perfectly stable systems don't have any reason to make a comment about it.
Sure, 3200MHz is an AMD ram speed. 2666/2933/3200/3466/3733 AMD. 2800/3000/3200/3400/3600/3800 are all Intel XMP speeds. Stop watching utube and read AMD's website at launch. AMD FX4300/FX6300/FX8300 1600/1866/2133/2400. 266MHz steps on AMD. Intel is 200MHz steps. 2400/3200/4000 are on both lists.

why should i have to manually intervene at totally stock XMP settings for stability?
seems unacceptable
totally stock XMP settings. XMP is an Intel Trademark and Intel 200MHz steps. AMD is 266MHz steps.

Giving 3003 the good old college try... FurMark and Prime95... didn't crash

though... still saw WHEA-Logger Event 19 (not under load even)

"A corrected hardware error has occurred.

Reported by component: Processor Core
Error Source: Unknown Error Source
Error Type: Bus/Interconnect Error
Processor APIC ID: 0

The details view of this entry contains further information."

Giving 3003 the good old college try... FurMark and Prime95... didn't crash

though... still saw WHEA-Logger Event 19 (not under load even)

"A corrected hardware error has occurred.

Reported by component: Processor Core
Error Source: Unknown Error Source
Error Type: Bus/Interconnect Error
Processor APIC ID: 0

The details view of this entry contains further information."
Maybe there's a flaw in core 0 causing hardware errors? I mean, I don't doubt the firmware/microcode could be the cause, but a faulty cpu is also possible.

like this
Maybe there's a flaw in core 0 causing hardware errors? I mean, I don't doubt the firmware/microcode could be the cause, but a faulty cpu is also possible.
it is possible...

also i did clear my CMOS a few times this time, manually

it is possible...

also i did clear my CMOS a few times this time, manually
ended up crashing again, back to the WHEA-Logger 19 events spamming.

Trying this now:

https://www.techpowerup.com/forums/threads/whea-logger-event-19-errors-on-3900x.274510/

"There's also another aspect to try when running into WHEA errors; there are two domains on Ryzen that have C-states.

The first is for the CPU and easy to access under whatever Advanced CPU Settings menu you have, can help if you have issues in idle.

The second is disabling the data fabric C-states, useful if you push the memory controller or Infinity Fabric hard. I only know that on Gigabyte it's found under CBS > DF Common Options, but it may be under a different name on other brands. Disabling it should prevent the IF from idling, which is obviously very unhelpful on desktop.

Logically speaking, if you have trouble pushing IF without WHEA errors/instability/USB errors/PCIe problems, you can try both disabling data fabric C-states, and enabling Uncore/SOC OC Mode (both ways to stop Infinity Fabric from downclocking or going into a lower power state).

EDIT: on Asus the CPU menu C-states is Global so it controls both CPU and DF C-states."

Reactions: Nobu
like this
Version 3101 Beta Version
2020/12/25 20.38 MBytes
ROG CROSSHAIR VIII HERO (WI-FI) BIOS 3101
Improved system compatibility
Updated AGESA code to ComboV2PI 1190
Updated graphical firmware
Improved RAID function
Improved system performance

Back