ASUS Rampage III Black Edition (RARE)

Markyip2

n00b
So this is both a notice and a question to this forum. I'm selling an ASUS Rampage III Black Edition: https://www.ebay.com/itm/333788093921?_trksid=p2471758.m4704

This is last board ever produced for X-58 and was the first "Black Edition" ASUS ROG motherboard. I would argue it classifies (no pun intended) as a rare item. Works brilliantly, and I'd still be using it today if it weren't for COVID taking me off the road and giving me time to finally upgrade my rig.

I've been selling used PC hardware here and there on eBay for years. I always go in with low expectations and am typically quite satisfied with how bids go, but I've never seen anything like this. Is there a rational reason folks are bidding upwards of $500 for this board, or should I be suspicious? I never play around with minimum bids. I just use the eBay recommended starting price, which on this board was $112. We're only half way through the auction time and this board has quite a few watchers on it and already more than 20 bids on it. (It's generating more activity than the RTX-2080-TI I sold last month for about $850.)

Is this to be expected? What am I missing here?

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
It appears to be a pretty good example, and having the box/contents also helps the price. You should have taken a macro photo of the LGA-1366 socket pins to get more bidders. Considering most X58 boards still go for $100-$200 (minus the Chinese knockoffs), this Rampage III B.E. is pretty saught after as one of the greatest X58 boards out there. It will likely go for around $650-750 if I guess correctly based on the last boxed version selling for $525 in a foreign country several months back. A lot of people artificially inflate the price on these things for their own reselling purposes as well, so enjoy it while you can. At some point we'll be back to the low prices where you can pick up used hardware for next to nothing. It is recent trends of YouTuber's pimping 'retro' and 'rare' hardware for PC gaming.

That said, I'm a pretty large collector of rare hardware and I'd never pay anywhere near those prices. The people who buy this stuff at the $300+ mark are either bolstering their own market, or they are part of the "I want it now" culture where they blow their money in a stupid way because they don't know how to find stuff like this at good prices (or don't want to put in the effort).

Thanks! If this ends north of $750, it will have sold for more than I paid for it 10 years ago (even after accounting for inflation!) Thanks for the tip on taking a pic of the pins. I can add that to the listing.

Ouch...

I sold mine WITH an i7-970 for $140 bundle on reddit very recently. Not going to sleep good tonight.

GLWS, nice piece of kit/history, I'd even use it today to replace my existing (and still working) vanilla Rampage III Extreme. Hoping I get a decent chunk of my money back too when it comes time to finally part out my current system.

Back