ASUS Prime B365M-A secure boot

jonwil

n00b
I have an ASUS Prime B365M-A motherboard with a Core i5-9400F CPU running Windows 10 with all the updates.
When I run the Microsoft tool to check for Windows 11 compatibility it says "This PC can't run Windows 11. This PC must support secure boot".

Can anyone tell me if this motherboard/CPU combo will be able to run Windows 11? Do I need to install a newer BIOS update? (and if so, is there a guide on the easiest/safest way to do that?)
Is there a setting I need to change in the BIOS?
Or am I out of luck with this hardware?

Last edited:
Check Your Boot Menu in the UEFI BIOS settings for Secure Boot... if it is enabled. Also check if TPM settings are enabled in BIOS or they call it something else. PTT or something like that.

I enabled the firmware TPM in the BIOS and I selected "Windows UEFI Mode" for secure boot settings as well as the option to load the default secure boot keys. But the windows health check still says that there is no secure boot support.
EDIT:
The windows tpm.msc tool says its detected a TPM manufacturer "INTC" version "303.12.0.0" specification "2.0" so I obviously have a TPM 2.0 compatible system (now that I turned it on in the BIOS).
The "system information" page says "unsupported" for the "secure boot state" so it looks like either there are secure boot options I still need to mess with or this ASUS motherboard can't do whatever Windows is looking for on secure boot (which would be strange given that I bought the motherboard in January of 2020)

Last edited:
make sure legacy is off(sounds like already) and that CSM is off and make sure the bios is up to date while your at it.

I tried turning CSM off but when I did that, the system no longer saw my Crucial CT500P1SS8 NVME SSD (didn't even show up in the list of recognized drives anymore) and the system would no longer boot (just went back into the BIOS) and I had to turn CSM back on to get it to even see the disk, let alone boot from it.
How can I solve this so I can get secure boot working? (and then install Windows 11 when the option becomes available to do so)
Do I need to wipe the disk and do a complete reinstall from scratch (windows and apps and etc) in order to get the BIOS to see this disk with CSM disabled?
Do I need different hardware (e.g. different SSD) to make this work? Could my SSD be installed in the wrong slot on the motherboard (the motherboard has one slot next to the CPU and another one below the PCI-E x16 slot and that SSD is in the one below the PCI-E x16 slot with nothing in the slot closest to the CPU)

I have no other M.2 drives in this system, all the rest of my storage is SATA.

If getting this to work requires reinstalling everything (or requires doing things with a risk of damaging hardware or causing data loss) I probably wont bother and will just stick with Windows 10 for now but if there is something I can do that's easy and low-risk I would love to know about it.

yes. you need to disable all legacy stuff, put your m2 drive in the top slot and start over. you could also leave it all alone and wait for release, then manually install it from the iso. that now seems to bypass the tpm stuff.

So its not possible to have an SSD in the bottom slot and have it be usable with the legacy stuff turned off?
I was thinking of buying some more storage (either a 500GB NVME SSD or a 1TB NVME SSD) and putting it in the top slot and then using that new one as the boot drive and the existing 500GB as extra storage but if its not possible to use the second slot (the one below the PCIE x16 slot) and have secure boot enabled and CSM disabled then there is no point buying more storage.

Back