Asus P5E-VM HDMI: best matx ever?

Not sure if its a AHCI/SATA detect delay ( I am able to bypass it by pressing the ESC button). This might only be on my bios version (original version), It might have been removed on later bios versions.

To lazy to update the bios :rolleyes:

I don't even know if it's a BIOS or OS issue. It is a countdown to Windows, no? So that could mean it's an OS thing. Why would the BIOS mean countdown to windows? what if you had linux?

I would flash the BIOS but the 0604 is the only current version still, looks like Asus moved on with supporting this thing

Last edited:
My bios version is 0405 :p

I'm sure I could get rid of it if I flashed it to a newer one, but everything works find in ver.0405 so I guess I'll just put up with the post countdown to windows.

Doesn't seem to be doing it as much now with the new HDD and Win7 after a few more days of using it after the rebuild. I guess this is as good as its gonna get until I upgrade the system again.

i ran e6750 on this. oc @ 400fsb no problem. Recently upgraded to e8400, and it randomly locks up time to time on stock fsb.

I rly don't get it.
the only thing I can think of is the psu. which went from my mushkin 580 to stock antec80plus 350w.
running 1 hdd no cdrom 4gb ram with onboard vid..

Do you guys think it's a power problem?
I don't think so.. especially with no video card and on stock. I mean i used to oc e6750 with 7900gs... on this same 350w psu.. lol

does anybody encounter "chassis intruded... system halted" during boot?

change cmos bat, reset bios, still same error

does anybody encounter "chassis intruded... system halted" during boot?

change cmos bat, reset bios, still same error
page 2-32 of the manual: Chassis intrusion connector. The chassis intrusion sensor or switch sends a high-level signal to this connector when a chassis component is removed or replaced. The signal is then generated as a chassis intrusion event.

Remove the jumper caps only when you intend to use the feature.

Sounds like you need to put the jumper back on or make sure the jumper is making contact with the pins if you are not using this feature. :)
If you are using the chassis switch, make sure the button switch is in the closed position, if it is closed and still giving you that report then it might be a bad switch.

Last edited:
flash bios to lower version then back to 0604 = same problem

jumper setting of chassis intrusion connector is in the right place. tried other jumper, didnt work. also tried chassis intrusion of a stacker, didnt work also.

any other ideas????

NichoTL:

Hey there! Long time no chat. Not sure if you remember me. It's been just over a year since I last logged on. I haven't been doing anything with my hardware since last time. I've been pretty busy with life...moved a couple of times from a home to apt and back to a home last week so I'm still busy unpacking and fixing stuff around the house.

I was hoping we could continue where we last left off. To refresh your ram I still have the same equipment (should be in my signature/profile)...q6600, 8GB OCZ ram, p5e-vm hdmi with pencil mod, ocz cooler. The good news is that my pc is now in an unfinished basement which has no heating yet so sitting on the cold floor helps keep it cool. I can run all 4 cores at about 48C and 3.66GHz...however, I haven't been able to get it stable higher than that.

How have you been anyway. Any hardware changes for you? Was Santa generous to you?

NichoTL:

Hey there! Long time no chat. Not sure if you remember me. It's been just over a year since I last logged on. I haven't been doing anything with my hardware since last time. I've been pretty busy with life...moved a couple of times from a home to apt and back to a home last week so I'm still busy unpacking and fixing stuff around the house.

I was hoping we could continue where we last left off. To refresh your ram I still have the same equipment (should be in my signature/profile)...q6600, 8GB OCZ ram, p5e-vm hdmi with pencil mod, ocz cooler. The good news is that my pc is now in an unfinished basement which has no heating yet so sitting on the cold floor helps keep it cool. I can run all 4 cores at about 48C and 3.66GHz...however, I haven't been able to get it stable higher than that.

How have you been anyway. Any hardware changes for you? Was Santa generous to you?

Hey I'm still around but I don't have the P5E-VM HDMI anymore. I'm currently concentrating (on the computer side of things) on building miniITX machines. Even then I don't spend that much time on it at all. Thing is, I don't play UT3 anymore so my performance requirements are now pretty low. So overclocking is not as important for me...

No worries. I often find myself relieved when I've been working on something for so long to finally have it over and done with. So much less stress and more time. So I think I'll abort my little project and leave it at 3.66 GHz. Saves me some time. Though I wish I'd know exactly what to do to increase that since I have so much temperature room to play with (only 48C) now at full load.

Anyhow, I'll see ya around and thanks for all your help again.

Yikes. You know you have an old pc when you're the last one to post a message here and its date is a year and a half old.

Nevertheless, my p5e-vm hdmi and q6600 has proven to be a very powerful system for my needs.

I have a strange problem with it. I've got a few random BSOD's lately so I thought I'd reapply a fresh coat of pencil mod. I doubt I'm modding the wrong resistor and I've already tried several different pencil types, 2, HB, 3H and stroking it many times back and forth but now I can barely boot up to Win'7 x64. When I finally am able to login without a restart, I'll startup Prime95 and usually I can't get the torture test to last more than about 20 seconds.

I have the same settings in the BIOS (saved) and I've tried reloading them but I still keep getting the BSOD's...always the same error: 0x00000124...Pc works fine if I disable overclocking and set it to the stock (ugh!) 2.40 GHz. I tried increasing the voltage from 1.4857 to 1.52 but that's not helping. Has my cpu had enough perhaps? Or is it the mobo?

Still have mostly the same hardware as shown in my signature...minus the Asus EN9600GT which I still have but don't use.

Any ideas on what else I can try? I heard you can also use a conductive pen but I don't know what a conductive pen would look like and I'm not sure if Walmart or Staples would have these. And I doubt they'll know what a conductive pen is too so that means I must be able to tell the difference between a normal pen and a conductive pen.

I'd appreciate some help.

Today I retired mine (incl q6600) to my backup server I run a couple of times each month.

What a nice piece of troublefree hardware that mobo was! :cool:

This thread started in 2007... last post was from 2012 which was a necro bump from 2010....

So thank you, we needed another person to necro this thread.

Funny, I just dug up my P5E-VM HDMI yesterday to try to solve the RAM issue. I had 4x 2GB OCZ Dominator PC2-8500 (2.1v) that suddenly doesn't want to work anymore, the max I can do is install a single stick to get through a POST.

Anyone have any ideas ? I've already tried putting more volt on the RAM and northbridge...

A very old thread I know but im curious as i'm still using this mobo as my HTPC build platform but I need to rebuild it with WIndows 7 and ditch Vista finally. Does anyone know if this mobo will even see a 4 terabyte HDD even on the latest bios dated late 2008?

I'd say you shouldn't have problems with drive size on sata. I've got 2TB drive working on P5W-DH Deluxe, P5N-E SLI, and Maximus I Formula. All of them came before G35/G45 and this board, I think.

I'd say you shouldn't have problems with drive size on sata. I've got 2TB drive working on P5W-DH Deluxe, P5N-E SLI, and Maximus I Formula. All of them came before G35/G45 and this board, I think.

But are you using them as boot drives or standalone?

I've got it installed as secondary drive, first is ssd. And it is internally installed, connected to the motherboard. Linux boots properly out of it too.

I cant believe this thread is still alive
Imagine, you were not present on [H] when the thread started.
That's 5 years before you joined!

I still had notification enabled so I received an email a few days ago again when somsone refreshed it.

It was a good board. I'm still with ASUS today as you can see below.

I still have this board, as an extra system. It's still iffy with 4 sticks of 2.1V memory...

I'm doing it...resurrection! My uATX machine I built in 2009 with the P5E-VM HDMI as it's backbone finally died overnight...I had a q9550 in it and this morning it was off...I can't get it on, or post..Nada...Disconnected everything except the ps and the cpu and the green LED lights but nothing happens when I hit the power switch...goodnight sweet prince..I've been using it as a Plex server for relatives...they are all "WHAT HAPPENED" texting me...

Alright...here goes...I have this board and loved it...I had it running a plex server for family so they wouldn't bother my gaming PC with cpu/bandwidth. The Power supply died...I bought a new one...Boot fails because the power supply fail nuked the SSD. Fine, I did the who 30 minute power/fix thing and that still failed.
So I find myself trying to install windows 10. That was completed however I am at a 100% loss as to how i ever and how to get the ethernet adapter installed. It's the Atheros on-board LAN. This was working before the drive was nuked. I have the original utilities CD but even in compatibility mode the install errors out.
The device manager just shows a Other Device: Unknown Device for the LAN...
Has anyone gotten the LAN driver installed for the Atheros Lan on this board for windows 10? I am BAFFLED!!!

Back