Asus P5E-VM HDMI: best matx ever?

I'm having a weird issue with my P5E-VM HDMI - It won't boot into Windows when I have a Q9400 CPU with an 8800GTX or 8800GTS + X-Fi (It works with either the video card and no X-fi or X-fi and onboard video). I just get a flashindg cursor after post.

Strange thing is that if I use my C2D E6400 it boots up and runs fine with any hardware combo I have tried....

Note: Using 604 BIOS

P5E-VM + HD4770:
10100.jpg

10k broken...:)

I have a weird problem. CPU-Z is reporting my AUX temp as 119C. Anyone have any ideas? I htink I'll just turn it off, wait for it too cool, restart, and see if the reading changes. If not, then it should be a thermometer/CPU-Z problem....

Still a weird error. I've never seen anything like that before. What is AUX for anyways?

EDIT:

Rebooted, let it cool, still at 119.

Last edited:
have the same irrelevant value report for a long time!
I simply don't rely on it....
my board is still runing fine since the beginning.

Thanks.

I only asked because I'm having lots of issues with rebooting. Its at 0604 BIOS. I think it might be my 2 Corsair 800 mhz RAM sticks since someone mentioned some issues. It'll reboot but not post and I can only get it to boot correctly by triggering the system's overclock failure. I wonder if the board isn't undervolting my CPU.

Its a E6400 and the voltage is at 1.13.

Has any current micro board come close to the P5e-vm in OCability? They come up once in a while on the FS/FT forum but go quickly and are rare/expensive everywhere else.

As far as single card mobos go nothing has beaten the P5E-VM HDMI that I know of. The DFI comes closest to it. May actually beat it. However the DFI allows for dual video cards and that why many enthusiasts have migrated to it instead of the P5E-VM. Its a great overclocker too. DFI mobos genrally allow for much more tweaking options when it comes to overclocking. Not sure which of the two has had the highest fsb overclock. I know they both have gotten quite high.

Eh, this is REALLY weird. I can't adjust anything CPU related in my bios, I can change stuff but it never takes and there are no warnings. My RAM stuff can be changed but not my CPU/FSB/etc... I'm going to try reflashing it. I've never seen this ever happen.

Eh, this is REALLY weird. I can't adjust anything CPU related in my bios, I can change stuff but it never takes and there are no warnings. My RAM stuff can be changed but not my CPU/FSB/etc... I'm going to try reflashing it. I've never seen this ever happen.

Clear the CMOS maybe?

Good Call. :)

UPDATE:
I booted again this morning and my FSB dropped to about 1/2 of what it should be... I then reflashed the BIOS and cleared the CMOS. I tried resetting the overclock on the CPU but CPU-Z reports differently than the bios saying its booting at 277 instead of 300...

UPDATE2:
Turns out that the heat sink was too tight. The clue was that it was being about 10 degrees C hotter than it should be.

Last edited:
If anyone has killed one of these boards and has a spare backplate, please PM me.
I picked up an open box model from Newegg and it's missing one.

Still troubleshooting, but I'm having Vdroop issues at stock settings, to the point where the board will not reliably post. I''ve upped my vcore to 1.3 so far and still bios is listing just under 1.25
Stock for my e8400 is 1.26
I haven't even attempted to boot into an OS yet.
Pencil mod or bad board?

Edit:
I think I have a bad board. I'm not terribly surprised, since it was 'open box'.
It won't reliably power up....like a car with a weak battery, it tries to start on the first few tries (fans start to spin up) but fails. Leave it for 10min or so, and it will boot fine. Restart, and it fails again. This sounds like a power issue to me.
The rest of my system works fine with the old 945gc board.

Last edited:
P5E-VM + HD4770:

10k broken...:)

Hi, I think that's awesome.
What temperatures are you getting (idle / load) please ?

My GeForce 8800 GT idles above 50 degrees (with 3rd party cooler) and over 80 degrees on full load.
Might exchange it for the Radeon HD 4770 soon.
It's not about the performance so much for me but more about the cool(er) running system.

It's 80W vs 110W.
It's 40 nm vs 65 nm.
It's GDDR5 vs GDDR3.
It's the fact, that the 4770 even outperforms the 8800.
The 4770 is on rank 18 while the 8800 is on rank 26 on the list of best graphics cards.

The board 3 posts above went back to newegg...so much for open box.

I just got my new p5e-vm installed for some shakedown testing and already have a pet peeve.

There is a ~15-20 sec delay between post and bootloader (grub in my case).
All empty sata/pata channels are disabled and the boot drive is first in line. Am I missing something?

Some overclocking results with rig in sig:

System will do 3.6 stable with fsb set to 400 and everything else to 'auto'.

With cpu multi down to 6, memtest ran stable at 425 with the following settings:
PLL 1.58
DRAM 2.0
FSB 1.32
NB 1.37
timing 6 6 6 15 (remainder on auto)....Crucial, 2GB sticks, DS ddr800 unbuffered
Everything else auto

I tried setting the cpu multi back up to 9 with the above settings but could not successfully post, even with Vcore as high as 1.32. Is Vdroop the culprit?

edit:
Vcore reported as 1.17 while priming both cores when set at 3.6/fsb400/vcore auto edit: enabling voltage dampener improved Vdroop to 1.21

cpuZ reports the following SPD settings for my ram: 5 6 6 18 24 1.8

I noticed both the bios and memtest are both only seeing 3328MB of my ram. wtf? I'm using both yellow slots. edit: forget that last line....I had memory remapping disabled. fixt

Last edited:
update:
Ram passed memtest 445 @1.85V
CPU passed 5 rounds of IntelBurn 425/3825/Vcore auto

It will boot to windows desktop at 445/1.35V but crashes on the first round of IntelBurn. I'd rather not overvolt any further with a Wolfdale.

Last edited:
Hi,

Does anyone here using Asus Xonar DX on PCI-e? Could it perfectly fit or it may bounce due to RAM slot?

Thanks

Last edited:
I have built two systems using the Xonar DX and P5E-VM HDMI; no fit issues are present.

Although, you might have to remove the sound card to change the RAM unless you are very careful.

I have built two systems using the Xonar DX and P5E-VM HDMI; no fit issues are present.

Although, you might have to remove the sound card to change the RAM unless you are very careful.

Hi setscrew, can you please provide some screenshots please?

Thanks,

BS

Sure this has been answered but in 85+ pages it will be hard to track down.

does the built in HDMI port carry sound?

My E8500 is doing 3.8ghz no sweat with Xiggy Dark Knight. I just wish I knew why sometimes this board/OS locks up on boot up sometimes before it hits Vista loading screen. BIOS, voltage, OS rebuild, different HDD have had no effect, still does it randomly.

Other then that, great board.

complete.jpg

closecooler2.jpg

night2.jpg

No, it doesn't

Enable the "Digital Audio (HDMI)" device and you get up to LPCM 7.1 sound with this HDMI 1.2 output.

Anyway, the max fsb on mine is 498 which thankfully is about all my e8400 needs. A Corsair H50 mounted in a Sugo SG03 works so much better than a GeminII with the replaced psu fan exhausting the heat. Hot air is still pooling up top so a blow hole is in order.

ARRRRRRGH! Unbelievable!!!. Since day one i've been having issues with this mobo rand locking after POSTing but before Windows attempts to load. I thought it was Vista and or my craptastic seagate HDD all this time but I just had those replaced with Win7 and a new WD 640gig AALS and I STILL get random lockups that I have to press the reset to clear and try to load again

Does anyone elses board experience this?

You tried to clear the CMOS and then Load Optimized defaults and start from there? I know that when I upgraded the BIOS I didn't Load Optimized defaults and I was having a few problems.

ARRRRRRGH! Unbelievable!!!. Since day one i've been having issues with this mobo rand locking after POSTing but before Windows attempts to load. I thought it was Vista and or my craptastic seagate HDD all this time but I just had those replaced with Win7 and a new WD 640gig AALS and I STILL get random lockups that I have to press the reset to clear and try to load again

Does anyone elses board experience this?
Mine does every now and then ( at least one/two times per month ). could be my OC on my E8400 @ 3.6 or my bios version ( never been updated ). It seems like it does not recognize my Sata HDD during post some times. I don't think it's the HDD or OS (win xp) but with the sata port / bios.

Mine does every now and then ( at least one/two times per month ). could be my OC on my E8400 @ 3.6 or my bios version ( never been updated ). It seems like it does not recognize my Sata HDD during post some times. I don't think it's the HDD or OS (win xp) but with the sata port / bios.

I do experience boot lockups too. Very rarely though. Same thing: after POST and before Windows loads. I'm wondering if it isn't a BIOS setting in Auto mode that's responsible.

Is there any way to turn off the "boot to windows" count down during post !!! I hate having to press ESC just so I don't have to wait 10 sec's before it will load windows >_<

I'll check/ play around with my bios settings to see if I can resolve the post lockup. but it might be hard to get a fix on the problem because it does not happen all the time ?

Is there any way to turn off the "boot to windows" count down during post !!! I hate having to press ESC just so I don't have to wait 10 sec's before it will load windows >_<

I'll check/ play around with my bios settings to see if I can resolve the post lockup. but it might be hard to get a fix on the problem because it does not happen all the time ?

The boot to windows countdown is news to me. Is it some form of AHCI/SATA detect delay? Or boot to DVD delay? (both are BIOS settings IIRC. I can't remember their exact BIOS name).

The boot to windows countdown is news to me. Is it some form of AHCI/SATA detect delay? Or boot to DVD delay? (both are BIOS settings IIRC. I can't remember their exact BIOS name).
Not sure if its a AHCI/SATA detect delay ( I am able to bypass it by pressing the ESC button). This might only be on my bios version (original version), It might have been removed on later bios versions.

To lazy to update the bios :rolleyes:

Back