Asus P5E-VM HDMI: best matx ever?

pvhk

Gawd
ASUS P5E-VM HDMI
2542_b.jpg

big_photocopier22.jpg

p5e_vm_hdmi_back.jpg

the new G35 will be released soon!
It might be the P5K-VM killer which is at the moment the best matx board in my opinion!
Futuring the igp intel GMA X3500 dx10 ready

2.jpg

Untitled-1.jpg

4601_4_ASUS_P5E-VM_HDMI.jpg

Full solid caps
Black PCB apparently
ICH9R: so full raid abilities like the G33M-DS2R
HDMI out with DVI adapter
SPDIF out like the P5K-VM
IEE1394 with VIA
Atheros L1 PCI-E Gb LAN
support nex gen 45nm cpu

look at the bios options!!! unbelievable!
vDRAM
vChipset (NB)
vFSB
vChipset (CPU PLL)

Memory tuning from 533mhz to 1333mhz!

CPU Voltage Auto]
[Auto] [1.7000V]
[1.6875V] [1.6750V] [1.6625V] [1.6500V] [1.6375V] [1.6250V] [1.6125V] [1.6000V]
[1.5875V] [1.5750V] [1.5625V] [1.5500V] [1.5375V] [1.5250V] [1.5125V] [1.5000V]
[1.4875V] [1.4750V] [1.4625V] [1.4500V] [1.4375V] [1.4250V] [1.4125V] [1.4000V]
[1.3875V] [1.3750V] [1.3625V] [1.3500V] [1.3375V] [1.3250V] [1.3125V] [1.3000V]
[1.2875V] [1.2750V] [1.2625V] [1.2500V] [1.2375V] [1.2250V] [1.2125V] [1.2000V]
[1.1875V] [1.1750V] [1.1625V] [1.1500V] [1.1375V] [1.1250V] [1.1125V] [1.1000V]

CPU Voltage Reference [Auto]
Configuration options: [Auto] [0.63x] [0.61x] [0.59x] [0.57x]

CPU Voltage Damper no more vdroop?? :eek:
Configuration options: [Auto] [Disabled] [Enabled]

PLL Voltage [Auto] +++
Configuration options: [Auto] [1.50V] [1.52V] [1.54V] [1.56V] ~ [1.76V] [1.78V]

DRAM Voltage [Auto]
Configuration options: [Auto] [1.80V] [1.82V] [1.84V] ~ [2.40V] [2.42V] [2.44V] :eek:

FSB Termination Voltage [Auto] +++
Configuration options: [Auto] [1.20V] [1.22V] [1.24V] ~ [1.46V] [1.48V] [1.50V]
Setting a high FSB termination voltage may damage the chipset and CPU.

North Bridge Voltage [Auto]+++
Configuration options: [Auto] [1.25V] [1.27V] [1.29V] ~ [1.67V] [1.69V] [1.71V]

North Bridge Voltage Reference [Auto]
Configuration options: [Auto] [0.67x] [0.61x]

South Bridge Voltage [Auto]
Configuration options: [Auto] [1.05V] [1.20V]

Some of the following items appear when you set
AI Overclocking
to [Manual]
and [N.O.S.]

CPU Ratio Control
[Auto] [Manual]
The following item appears when the CPU Ratio Control item is set to [Manual].
Ratio CMOS Setting [9]
Use the <+> and <-> keys to select the CMOS ratio values.

FSB Strap to North Bridge [Auto]+++
FSB Strap will be adjusted automatically by FSB Frequency and DRAM Frequency.
[Auto] [200MHz] [266MHz] [333MHz].
http://www.hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1031741754&postcount=131

PCIE Frequency
[Auto] [100] [101] ~ [149] [150]

DRAM Frequency
[Auto] [DDR2-667MHz] [DDR2-800MHz] [DDR2-834MHz]
[DDR2-888MHz] [DDR2-1000MHz] [DDR2-1112MHz] [DDR2-1333MHz] :eek::eek:

DRAM Timing Control [Auto]
Allows you to set the DRAM timing control. Configuration options: [Auto] [Manual]

FSB/CPU External Frequency Synchronization
FSB Frequency [333]
Displays the frequency sent by the clock generator to the system bus and PCI bus.
The value of this item is auto-detected by the BIOS. Use the <+> and <-> keys to
adjust the FSB frequency.
The values range from 200 to 800.

asus P5E-VM
cpu support

cannot wait....I want it bad!!
The motherboard
The test

Other tests on the web:
http://www.silentpcreview.com/article785-page1.html
http://www.vr-zone.com/articles/Asus_P5E-VM_HDMI/5427-1.html
http://www.ocworkbench.com/2007/asus/p5e-vm-hdmi/g1.htm

Abits got an MATX fatality SLI supporting board dont they?

that thing takes my vote.

Impressive. Only thing why the hell is the power connector behind IDE and memory ?? Also any info on sound codec? Is it crappy Realtek or ADI SoundMAX?

EDIT: Alright I see ALC88x. Shame .)

That looks darned sweet, pvhk. Doesn't really offer enough over current boards to warrant an upgrade, but if you are looking for something new, that would be it.

Abits got an MATX fatality SLI supporting board dont they?

that thing takes my vote.
No... what are you talking about?

OMG!!!!:eek::eek::eek: That's probably going to be the *almost* most perfect mATX motherboard EVER! I mean, it's only missing the open-ended 4x PCI-E slot for CF/extra disk controller! And since most people don't use CF or high-speed PCI-E expansion boards, that can basically be the perfect board... Sweeeet! Probably that will cost something like €150 for several months, but appart from that...

What does one do w/ an Matx motherboard w/ HDMI?
Well, it really depends on how good the G35 chipset is decoding HD content. You'll definetely NOT game with that motherboard (unless G35 becomes a DX9/Dx10 monster, but that's not very likely, is it? lol), but if HD content decoding is good, you can live without a dedicated GPU for that...

Impressive. Only thing why the hell is the power connector behind IDE and memory ?? Also any info on sound codec? Is it crappy Realtek or ADI SoundMAX?
As for the IDE placement, that unusual placement it's usually (hehe) due to power routing/distribution. It's still better than the ASRock approach, IMHO, though... hehehe What I would like to know is how on earth will it be possible to use the COM1 header... lol I'd still change the IDE and Floppy connectors, though I guess that probably causes someone a headach with PCB track management...

Acording to the first picture pvhk posted (board layout), if you look on the bottom-left corner of the board, you'll see an "ALC" codec chip. That means it's got a Realtek chip, probably either the ALC888 or ALC889. My guess would be the 889, because of HDCP. I don't think ADI has HDCP-ready codecs yet, so you're stuck with Realtek for HD-ready mobos.

Now, some questions for pvhk, since he's the thread starter, and ALWAYS has ALL the info about motherboards... hehehe

1) WTH is that "ASM" card/jumper block? TPM? Turbo Memory? ReadyBoost hardware?

2) What is that "AAFP" jumper block for? And, if you have SPDIF out on the back of the board, why the SPDIF jumper block? Digital out, maybe?

One thing I noticed: have you guys looked for the CPU fan header? Heck, all the fan headers for that matter... Rather odd placement for all but one of them (the Chassis fan 1)

Looks like the gamers' mATX board... I sure hope that thing is a killer OCer.

pvhk, please do tell us when that thing is available, and whenever you have ANY more information about it, ok?

Cheers.

Miguel

I can imagine some cable management issues with all them connectors behind memory but I'm still using IDE although maybe it's time to go SATA only. And the fan headers are rather crazy too but the PCI-E is now second so there should be some space to get to them without removing the graphics. I don't believe that X3500 will be good in anything else than some modified benchmarks. Otherwise nearly perfect board.

P.S.: I'm ADI fanboy since my first Yamaha DS-XG :D :D

P.S.: I'm ADI fanboy since my first Yamaha DS-XG :D :D
I understand ADI codecs are better than Realtek ones, especially when using positional sound.

However, I don't like one MAJOR thing about ADI: their drivers. I mean, from my experience, they are actually worse on driver support than Creative, and that's rather difficult... First of all, ADI doesn't have a driver download page, as far as I know. We have to wait for the board manufacturer to issue new drivers (and since ADI codecs are usually found on Asus boards, that means one or two drivers during the whole lifetime of the board... :(). Second, driver functionality. My P5B Deluxe has an ADI codec which has been struggling to have positional audio enabled through drivers... It's been a mess...

Ok, /RANT :p

As for the PCI-E being the second slot, I guess that's not bad. Hopefully there won't be excessively long PCI-E 1x cards (the Theatre 550 cards are long, though...) that interfere with that. Having the CPU/Northbridge/RAM slots lower on the board seems good for CPU socket and RAM airflow, though. Let's see.

Cheers.

Miguel

Yeah the drivers for my p5b-vm were disastrous as well. But after couple(dozens :D) emails to Asus tech support all is well and you can't beat playing BioShock with true EAX ;)
Ontopic: Now I realize that the power connector placement will actually help airflow too, at least in my case. Can't wait to hear how this board performs!

One thing I have learned about mobos, especially on the mATX side of things, is never judge the mobo till you have seen performance reviews. Most Intel mATX mobos cant OC worth beans so I'll wait and see what the early testers get out of this new mobo before I get excited about it. :D

you're damned right, but i feel confident with the hdmi board!
The p5e-vm do being designed for "professionnal" use, it is not totally surprising to see its bad ocing result!
The P5E-VM HDMI on the contrary is designed for home user ,so....

How much will the Asus P5E-VM HDMI be when it is released and when?
That's something I'd also like to know. G35 appeared on the Intel website a while ago, and there are downloads for the chipset available at least since last month.

I read somewhere it should have been released by August, or something, but problems with voltage controllers for the IGP held it back. My guess is that it will probably be available for the Xmas shopping season, but I wouldn't hold my breath for it.

As for price, tipically new top-line mATX boards from Asus go for €150/$150 (typical 1:1 conversion rate due to taxes and such) at launch. Some of them (like the P5K-VM) drop €30 to €50 really fast, while others (like the P5LD2-VM) have enough "staying power" to NEVER drop the launch price... Let's just hope this one is a "dropper" hehehe

Cheers.

Miguel

I'll guess $125-$150 US at release. Seems to be a common price range lately for these better Intel mATX mobos that OC. I'll take another guess NE will price gouge it for higher though. :D I hope to build another pc come mid-November so I'll keep my eye out for this one although the P5K-VM would do me fine since I wont need all the fancy stuff.

asus seems not to follow intel 's specifications!
Indeed , g35 was meant to be paired with ICH8 southbridge

What are your thoughts about missing PCI-E lock feature? On my p5b-vm this causes quite substantial problems. In order to raise FSB you must raise PCI-E frequency otherwise the board won't post. Problem is that when you raise it above 125 MHz the board won't detect hard drive - maybe limitation of ICH8. Also the PCI-E graphics card shows corruption in 3D running stock - maybe problem with my 8800 GTS which is not exactly OC champion. I've read somewhere - sorry can't find it right now - that this has to do something with X3000 and how it's integrated. I hope Intel will resolve this and design G35 from scratch rather then making it only extended G965.

the pcie can be locked on every new chipset since g33 (even xpress1250)!
needless to raise it !!! for example; fsb up to 500 with pcie@100 with the p5kvm! ;)
On the p5e-vm hdmi: pcie can be locked too!

What are your thoughts about missing PCI-E lock feature? On my p5b-vm this causes quite substantial problems. In order to raise FSB you must raise PCI-E frequency otherwise the board won't post. Problem is that when you raise it above 125 MHz the board won't detect hard drive - maybe limitation of ICH8. Also the PCI-E graphics card shows corruption in 3D running stock - maybe problem with my 8800 GTS which is not exactly OC champion. I've read somewhere - sorry can't find it right now - that this has to do something with X3000 and how it's integrated. I hope Intel will resolve this and design G35 from scratch rather then making it only extended G965.
the pcie can be locked on every new chipset since g33 (even xpress1250)!
needless to raise it !!! for example; fsb up to 500 with pcie@100 with the p5kvm! ;)
On the p5e-vm hdmi: pcie can be locked too!
AKAIK, every non 945-based chipset starting with at least the 955X (Intel or otherwise) supports PCI-E lock. Technically, the 945-based chipsets also support it, but the implementation of PCI-E lock on these chipsets is rather flacky, and tends not to be effective most of the time, even if you specifically say you want it locked.

As for GPU and/or HDD misbehaving, that's exactly because of lack of the PCI-E lock. Up to 115MHz, usually every component handles the extra speed; from that mark up, SATA ports may become offline (or data corruption may happen), and PCI-E-based hardware (HD Audio, GPU, integrated LAN, etc.) begin to fail. From 125MHz up, usually only the IDE and PCI ports work - because they use buses other than the PCI-E... lol. That's not a problem with the G965 chipset, it's a limitation of the other components. Nevertheless, the G965 IS a lousy OCer... :p

As for G35, it seems it's a completely different IGP from any other Intel IGP on the market today. I say this because I've read a few months ago they were having problems with voltage chips and whatnots, meaning they were not working on something existing designs, materials and techniques would work with. Which is a good thing, the GMA era (everything not X3000 and X3100, and even these have some things in common) has last long enough. It started with the GMA910 (915G) and the first generation of LGA775 boards. It's time to put it to rest already.

The MB has indeed a black PCB!!!!
My next board for sure!!!!
I just hope performance is as good as it seems on that image...

Sweeeet!!!

I am SOO drooling over this board... Only thing missing is the launch date. Though here in Portugal it usually takes abouth a month, month and a half, for boards appearing on the manufacturer's websites to be available on the market.

Cheers.

Miguel

Made a mistake , i wanted to say that since g33: raising the pcie is useless when one want to bump fsb over 333....;)

AKAIK, every non 945-based chipset starting with at least the 955X (Intel or otherwise) supports PCI-E lock. Technically, the 945-based chipsets also support it, but the implementation of PCI-E lock on these chipsets is rather flacky, and tends not to be effective most of the time, even if you specifically say you want it locked.
G965 had issues too.

G965 had issues too.
Oh, that's news to me. Thanks for the info.

Hmmm... If I didn't know better (which I don't, actually... lol), I'd say the G965 was simply a 945G chipset with slight modifications to the memory controller and a new IGP... If that's true, then it was a very bad move from Intel, and means that probably the 965GM is a 945GM-derived chipset and also suffers from the same issues... :mad: Thankfully, laptops don't usually OC... lol

At least the G33 is a good OCer (it seems the G31 is limited to 340MHz), let's hope G35 goes the same way, and using the IGP, if it's not much to ask... :rolleyes::D:cool:

Cheers.

Miguel

Pvhk,
You planning on testing one out? I'd love to read your thoughts and tests about it. Also any word on how soon? :)

Either get this or the Asus P5K-VM. When is this going to be available? I will wait till pvhk get his hands on it and do a review. :)

Pvhk,
You planning on testing one out? I'd love to read your thoughts and tests about it. Also any word on how soon? :)
yes it will be my next mb!
i'm planning to run full test on it when it will be available. (meaning full ocing test...)

And we Americans are left wiping the drool from our chins. Any word on a US release date? I was saving up for the DS2R, but this looks like it's going to be THE mATX board to have. I wonder if Gigabyte is coming out with anything new. Hopefully they won't skimp on things like the dividers again....

I was going to get another P5K-VM for another build later this month but if the P5E-VM is good and availble I might get it just to try it out. Gigabyte and ASUS have been doing some nice competition in this area so I would think Gigabyte will respond with something. We'll have to wait and see i guess.

I've pre-ordered this board from a swedish reseller and the expected delivery date is set to November 17:th... Can't wait :)

When I got home last night I was surprised to find out the money I planned to use for my next build came early :eek: so I may not wait for the P5E-VM mobo. I also found out the new 8800GTS release is December 3rd and I dont want to wait that long neither. I'll go with the 8800GT. Its availble now.

Back