Asus P5E-VM HDMI: best matx ever?

I'm pretty sure the 'problems' you are having are because of your auto settings (maybe even the RAM). You have to bite the bullet and set NB, PLL and FSB on manual (like I said before, references and SB can stay on auto). When you try setting those 3, lower (temporarily) your multiplier and your memory to take them out of the equation.

Hmm.. I set FSB, NB, PLL, and SB on lowest settings, but left everything as it is (this was before I saw ur post), and I got 15 hours stable on Orthos (FSB 334).

I wont be able to do any more trials until the weekend, but I will give that a try too

thanks!

Hmm.. I set FSB, NB, PLL, and SB on lowest settings, but left everything as it is (this was before I saw ur post), and I got 15 hours stable on Orthos (FSB 334).

I wont be able to do any more trials until the weekend, but I will give that a try too

thanks!

But that's good! SB can stay on the lowest setting or Auto it doesn't matter. The rest is for you to try.

But that's good! SB can stay on the lowest setting or Auto it doesn't matter. The rest is for you to try.

Hmm.. my problem was that a few weeks ago I could get 338Ghz (3.70GHz) stable for 24 hours on P95, but now P95 and orthos fails within 2 hours at those settings. Now I'm running FSB324 (3.67GHz). It's not that ~30MHz is a big issue, but it just makes me feel better to get the next whole tenth of a GHz :D

Also, I could get DDR2-1066 on FSB266 but not FSB320, no matter what I try, it won't post at that ram speed. :confused:

G.Skill wasn't too helpful after finding out the board isn't listed as DDR2-1066 compatible :(

Hmm.. my problem was that a few weeks ago I could get 338Ghz (3.70GHz) stable for 24 hours on P95, but now P95 and orthos fails within 2 hours at those settings. Now I'm running FSB324 (3.67GHz). It's not that ~30MHz is a big issue, but it just makes me feel better to get the next whole tenth of a GHz :D

Also, I could get DDR2-1066 on FSB266 but not FSB320, no matter what I try, it won't post at that ram speed. :confused:

G.Skill wasn't too helpful after finding out the board isn't listed as DDR2-1066 compatible :(

I don't think it's a RAM issue. If you can get 1066 you can get 1066. Full stop.

My guess:
When you get 266/1066 you are on a 200 strap so 266 is not a ridiculous increase from 200. When you attempt 320/1066 you are still on the 200 strap (it's often important to know which strap you are on so don't leave the strap on auto) and that's a pretty big increase (from 200 to 320). My guess is that you need to put voltage into the NB, FSB (similar amounts) and the PLL (not as much) to make it work. When you do 334/100x you are on the 266 strap and again not too much of an increase so works easily.

I don't think it's a RAM issue. If you can get 1066 you can get 1066. Full stop.

My guess:
When you get 266/1066 you are on a 200 strap so 266 is not a ridiculous increase from 200. When you attempt 320/1066 you are still on the 200 strap (it's often important to know which strap you are on so don't leave the strap on auto) and that's a pretty big increase (from 200 to 320). My guess is that you need to put voltage into the NB, FSB (similar amounts) and the PLL (not as much) to make it work. When you do 334/100x you are on the 266 strap and again not too much of an increase so works easily.

That makes sense... but unfortunately it didn't work out as well as I'd have liked (or I missed something...)

I upped NB and FSB voltage by 0.2V from lowest, and PLL voltage 0.1V from lowest... but still no luck with FSB1066 (fsb 334). Does that seem like enough? I'm not sure how sensitive the NB/FSB is with voltage.

I tried FSB 337 again, and Orthos failed at 2 hour 40 minutes :(

That makes sense... but unfortunately it didn't work out as well as I'd have liked (or I missed something...)

I upped NB and FSB voltage by 0.2V from lowest, and PLL voltage 0.1V from lowest... but still no luck with FSB1066 (fsb 334). Does that seem like enough? I'm not sure how sensitive the NB/FSB is with voltage.

I tried FSB 337 again, and Orthos failed at 2 hour 40 minutes :(

Which strap is it FSB334/DDR21066?

I cannot seem to find a similar situation to my issue - my vdroop on this board seems to get up to .3v at higher voltages? I have yet to try the vdroop mod but I have voltages reporting at 1.3v at idle if I set 1.5v in the BIOS, with 1.2v under load. Using the cpu's AUTO voltage setting, I get no drop at idle and 0.07v under load. I'm finding it nearly impossible to clock my cpu higher than when using stock voltages of 1.175v. Don't these drops seem a bit excessive, even for this board?

I can only get my processor stable at 3.8GHz (AND 4.0GHz) when using BIOS voltages of near 1.6v - about 1.3v under load in cpu-z.

I cannot seem to find a similar situation to my issue - my vdroop on this board seems to get up to .3v at higher voltages? I have yet to try the vdroop mod but I have voltages reporting at 1.3v at idle if I set 1.5v in the BIOS, with 1.2v under load. Using the cpu's AUTO voltage setting, I get no drop at idle and 0.07v under load. I'm finding it nearly impossible to clock my cpu higher than when using stock voltages of 1.175v. Don't these drops seem a bit excessive, even for this board?

I can only get my processor stable at 3.8GHz (AND 4.0GHz) when using BIOS voltages of near 1.6v - about 1.3v under load in cpu-z.

Which processor are you using? :eek:

Try disabling CPU voltage damper, apparently it helps some people

Otherwise, you will have to do the Vdroop mod. It takes 3 minutes and works extremely well. A lot of people have Vdroop problems with this board, and that fixes it for most of us :)

Which processor are you using? :eek:

Try disabling CPU voltage damper, apparently it helps some people

Otherwise, you will have to do the Vdroop mod. It takes 3 minutes and works extremely well. A lot of people have Vdroop problems with this board, and that fixes it for most of us :)

E0 Q9550. For the BIOS to get the same actual voltages as the VID that are used when set to AUTO, I have to set my bios to 1.25v. I then get 1.175v in the BIOS reading and cpu-z when idle and 0.95-1.05v under load. My actual VDROOP does seem to remain within spec as it's 0.1v but my starting voltages are way off.

E0 Q9550. For the BIOS to get the same actual voltages as the VID that are used when set to AUTO, I have to set my bios to 1.25v. I then get 1.175v in the BIOS reading and cpu-z when idle and 0.95-1.05v under load. My actual VDROOP does seem to remain within spec as it's 0.1v but my starting voltages are way off.

Yes, I understand what you're saying. This is very common with these boards... try the Vdroop mod, it should help. ;)

Here are some pictures of my new PC case LOL.
Well, while changing the VGA cooler, I have decided to put my Silverstone SG01 to the side and let my workhorse breath a little.

Here we go ...

18-03-09_1448nd9d.jpg

The fan of the PSU is temperature regulated but runs always at lowest speed because for a 120mm fan, it's rather quite.

18-03-09_14491m27.jpg

18-03-09_1450ncft.jpg

You can see Intel's ultra low profile cooler.
The fan runs with around 860 rpm, that's dead quiet.

18-03-09_1451te43.jpg

18-03-09_1452inz3.jpg

I bought the RAM just because of the dragon eyes, LOL.
Haven't looked into tweaking my RAMs yet. Is it worth it ? I mean are we talking about a noticeable difference ?
I think the voltage of 1.8v is rather low (which is good), but the whole memory tweaking subject is a mystery to mee tbh.
Too much wired and strange stuff I have read about it, I definately don't look through there.

18-03-09_1453kdbw.jpg

I can't hear the VGA cooler when fanmate II is set to lowest speed, but it gets annoying loud when turning to highest speed.

18-03-09_1454ngrd.jpg

The Northbridge cooler which gets too hot in my opinion.

18-03-09_1455wi8c.jpg

Since the HDD is so close to my ears, I can hear occasional grinding (of course).
But having switched off really everything in Vista ...

the indexing service
virtual memory
system restore
hibernation
superfetch
and even automatic update

... I can still hear it grinding & clicking frequently.
I know it's a real science of what the HDD does, but have I missed something on my list above ?
Using the Resource Monitor, it shows SVCHOST as cause for the highest data transfer (reading).
I wished Vista was more transparent and wouldn't let a noob like me in the dark.

18-03-09_14581cdy.jpg

18-03-09_1459fexp.jpg

Argh, blurry !

18-03-09_15007dy1.jpg

Spec

Motherboard mATX Asus P5E-VM HDMI
CPU E8400 Wolfdale
RAM 2 x 2GB Geil Black Dragon
HDD WD01EACS
PSU Silverstone ST50EF-Plus SC
VGA eVGA GeForce 8800 GT
PC case custom built LOL

Hi, im having a problem with my mobo using the onboard videocard through the hdmi, when I leave my pc on and turn off my samsung 46" series 5 lcd tv when I turn it back I hear those dong or beep sounds but sometimes my pc doesnt show anything and pressing the mouse and space bar does nothing, I just shows input hdmi 1 on the tv. Not sure if theres settings anywhere to fix this, also I turned sleep/hibernation off just a normal screen saver

i have a samsung 46" that i use the vga input. I find that the tv gets very confused if it is on the input for the pc and you end the video connection...whether via shut down or sleep or what not. My solution has been to switch to another active input before shutting down...Otherwise I have to push the power button on the tv to "turn it off" and then power the tv on and then quickly change inputs...

which brand of ram is good for this motherboard because I wanted to OC my cpu??

yeah its wierd, sometimes when i turn it off for a while then back on it doesnt find the hdmi input again till i turn off and on the pc again, pretty annoying

which brand of ram is good for this motherboard because I wanted to OC my cpu??

Ballistix is usually a good choice although its not the only brand that will work. ASUS usually lists what RAM brand and model they have tested with the mobo in question on their website. Also take a look at people's sig and see what they are using. Pvhk, for example, is a avid OCer here and posts his components in his sig. His latest post says Ballistix 5300 so thats a good sign of one choice.

Well, I *was* happy with my P5E-VM HDMI until I bought a GTX 260, and found out it covers over 4/6 SATA ports. Might have to go mobo shopping again soon. I was able to get 2 more sata ports connected by hacking some cables into makeshift 90s (the premade 90s I had bent the wrong way).

I just finished cleaning up my cables, routing power behind the mobo... Had meant to do it ages ago, but just never got around to it.

Before:
inside.jpg

After:
P180Bside.jpg

Well, I *was* happy with my P5E-VM HDMI until I bought a GTX 260, and found out it covers over 4/6 SATA ports. Might have to go mobo shopping again soon. I was able to get 2 more sata ports connected by hacking some cables into makeshift 90s (the premade 90s I had bent the wrong way).

I just finished cleaning up my cables, routing power behind the mobo... Had meant to do it ages ago, but just never got around to it.

Before:
inside.jpg

After:
P180Bside.jpg

I am wondering why are getting a matx mobo and you have atx case??

I am wondering why are getting a matx mobo and you have atx case??

I bought it with the intention of migrating it to my HTPC once I upgraded but the onboard video on the P5E-VM isn't ideal for HD, so I decided to get a 8200 mobo instead.

Can someone tell me why Task Manager shows that my page file size is 4219M / 13199M?
I'm not sure what the 13199M means (max?) but I assume the 4219M is my actual pagefile size.

It seems that regardless of what I set my pagefile size to be, it's always the same. I currently have it set to just 256MB pagefile (custom). I have 8GB physical ram...and task manager is showing 3.25GB free.

Vista Ult. x64. 8GB Ram. P5E-VM HDMI mobo.

pagefile.jpg

Can someone tell me why Task Manager shows that my page file size is 4219M / 13199M?
I'm not sure what the 13199M means (max?) but I assume the 4219M is my actual pagefile size.

It seems that regardless of what I set my pagefile size to be, it's always the same. I currently have it set to just 256MB pagefile (custom). I have 8GB physical ram...and task manager is showing 3.25GB free.

Vista Ult. x64. 8GB Ram. P5E-VM HDMI mobo.

pagefile.jpg

Correct me if I'm wrong, but this is what I understand:

13199M is your total page file, including your RAM and disk cache. 4219M is how much of it you are using. 3.25GB is how much physical RAM you are using. The rest of it is stored in virtual memory (reserved on your disk cache, but not physically there).

If you want a more detailed explaination, I'm afraid I can't explain it perfectly, but I have the gist of it :)

btw, where's NicholTL? My OC post still needs help ;)

13199M is your total page file, including your RAM and disk cache. 4219M is how much of it you are using. 3.25GB is how much physical RAM you are using. The rest of it is stored in virtual memory (reserved on your disk cache, but not physically there).

If you want a more detailed explaination, I'm afraid I can't explain it perfectly, but I have the gist of it :)

Ahh. I may have misunderstood those stats. When I disabled my pagefile completely it says 8099M for total page file...which is about 8GB and that would be correct if it's only including my physical ram.

The only discrepancy then is the graphical box shows 2.78GB (after disabling pagefile completely and rebooting) but total page file says 3377M / 8099M. If it's using 3377M out of 8099M then why does the graphical box (previously 3.25GB) displaying 2.78GB used?

Sorry, haven't seen NichoTL for some time. I hope he's ok.

I'm listening.

I'm listening.

As I was saying (before my post got buried with other stuff :p)...

I upped NB and FSB voltage by 0.2V from lowest, and PLL voltage 0.1V from lowest... but still no luck with FSB1066 (fsb 320(typo)). Does that seem like enough? I'm not sure how sensitive the NB/FSB is with voltage.

I tried FSB 337 again, and Orthos failed at 2 hour 40 minutes

Your expertise is greatly appreciated! :D

@yorkman:

From what I understand (this can be wrong):

When you launch an app (e.g. Firefox), it uses a certain amount of memory, which is what you see under task manager, for example, 150MB.
However, it reserves space for more memory than 150MB (for example, 200MB). If you have a page file, the extra 50MB is thrown into the page file as virtual memory, but does not physically exist (nothing is in it). However, if you dont have a page file, the virtual memory will reside in your RAM, and while it does not physically take up the RAM, you won't be able to use it either (because it is reserved). This is why you will see a higher memory usage than your physical RAM usage, and also why if you hit 80+% of your physical RAM with no page file, your system will start to crash.

This a summation of what I was told on another forum when my system started using up a lot of RAM and crashing when I disabled page file with 4GB of RAM :(
It was a bit over a year ago, lol

I cannot seem to get my system stable at 8.5x471 no matter what I try. Prime fails in about 2-3 minutes whether I have my cpu at 1.28v(1.3v in BIOS) or 1.37v (1.4v in BIOS) - vdroop mod gives me no change between idle/load now and I no longer have to jack the voltage in the BIOS to 1.7v to get 1.35v actual. Anyways, I've tried changing voltages around and nothing seems to work. I won't try without all my ram in there so please don't mention it. I've tried PLL, setting the NB voltages up around 1.4v, all the other weird settings.

Anyways, I'm running an E0 q9550 and 4x2GB gskill 1066 memory. The rest doesn't matter so much but the power draw should be around 300w max with heavy system/3d usage currently with a 400w EA380 power supply - voltages are solid with a multimeter.

CPU Ratio Setting: 8.5
FSB Strap to North Bridge: Auto
FSB Frequency: 471
PCIE Frequency: 100
DRAM Frequency: 942MHz
DRAM Timing Control: Set to 5-5-5-15

CPU Spread Spectrum: DISABLED
PCIE Spread Spectrum: DISABLED

CPU Voltage: 1.3v
CPU Voltage Reference: 0.63x
CPU Voltage Damper: DISABLED
PLL Voltage: 1.60v
DRAM Voltage: Auto
FSB Termination Voltage: ~1.40v (not sure the actual setting available)
North Bridge Voltage: ~1.40v (not sure the actual setting available)
North Bridge Voltage Reference: 0.67x
South Bridge Voltage: Auto

What should I try bumping to help get 4GHz stable? This should be easy as with the same date/batch another guy got like 3.8GHz on stock cpu voltage. I figure mine can't be that far off.

Edit: Heatsink is a Thermalright Ultra-120 Extreme with an Arctic Cooling PWM fan running off the cpu header. Cooling isn't an issue.

Prime fails in about 2-3 minutes whether I have my cpu at 2.8v(3v in BIOS) or 3.7v (4v in BIOS)
I have no idea what you are talking about

CPU Ratio Setting: 8.5
FSB Strap to North Bridge: Auto
DRAM Frequency: 942MHz

CPU Spread Spectrum: DISABLED
PCIE Spread Spectrum: DISABLED

CPU Voltage: 1.3v
CPU Voltage Damper: DISABLED
PLL Voltage: 1.60v
DRAM Voltage: Auto
FSB Termination Voltage: ~1.40v (not sure the actual setting available)
North Bridge Voltage: ~1.40v (not sure the actual setting available)
The first thing that jumps to mind is this: DRAM Voltage should not be left on Auto because you don't know what Auto does. Check at what voltage your RAM is certified to run at 1066 and set the DRAM Voltage to it (so you know THIS is not the problem). Also have the strap manually on 333 even though it won't make a difference: better to know what you are running on for important settings.

Second thing: try with Voltage Damper ENABLED. I've read documentation saying that if you want to reduce vdroop, it should be enabled. Some people say otherwise but it's worth the try.

3rd: NB Voltage seems a bit low for that FSB frequency. (maybe around 1.45?)

4th: when you've done the above, you should lower your CPU multiplier to 6 or 7 and try to get your system stable. Once it's stable, put it back to 8.5 and work on your CPU Voltage.

Now get cracking :)

Prime fails in about 2-3 minutes whether I have my cpu at 2.8v(3v in BIOS) or 3.7v (4v in BIOS) - vdroop mod gives me no change between idle/load now and I no longer have to jack the voltage in the BIOS to 1.7v to get 1.35v actual.

I have no idea what you are talking about

Heh, he's dropped a decimal and a 1 from his volt listings... 1.28/1.30 and 1.37/1.40 not his weird, obviously outrageous voltages. :D

Whoops, that is correct...1.3-1.4v. I set the ram back to auto as I don't need to worry about it - I haven't found the exact limits but 980MHz runs fine at 1.8v at the "loose" timings. I already have absolutely no vdroop between idle and load so I don't think the Damper will affect anything any longer. I believe I've tried higher NB voltages but it had absolutely no affect, as do changing other voltages or the cpu voltage...this is where overclocking this thing gets weird. With the stock NB heatsink and decent case airflow (2x120mm, 2x92mm), what upper range should I be looking to go with voltage on this thing? Normally I would just jack voltages up and lower them to their lowest stable settings but this doesn't appear to work in the case of this motherboard/cpu. I would still like to try a different power supply in order to knock one thing out of the equation as that would be the only thing that would make any type of sense with these voltages doing nothing to help stability.

I will retry (did this weeks ago but haven't had much time to fiddle since) jacking the fsb up and running a low multiplier but last time I only got up to 3.5Ghz (7.5x471) at stock voltages (except NB/FSB) before everything quit working at 3.7GHz (8x471) no matter what voltages I was feeding the motherboard/cpu. I have since done the pencil mod so I will try it again but the symptoms I'm seeing at higher speeds still appear to be the same/consistent with the pre-mod ones. I give it lower voltage or higher voltages, Prime95 fails within a couple minutes on Core 1 and 3. Things only appear stable at speeds that are capable of running at stock settings so I've been running a typical 8.5x400 for a few months now. This is at 1.15v on the cpu with a VID of 1.1750. Idle 50-53 degrees, load 59-63 degrees with the PWM fans throughout the case. The first core is always warmer than the consistent other core temperatures.

I just wish the P5Q-EM I have laying around wasn't such a lousy overclocker...from what I'm seeing with limits around 3.5Ghz on stock voltages on this board and no more though, I'm tempted to put it back in instead of using this board - it could do 8.5x424 at stock voltages all around. Any more though and nothing could help it POST.

I am doing some testing at the moment to see how low of voltages I can get at 471x8. Why it is impossible to do a simple 471x8.5?! Seems solid using Intel Burn Test at the moment with:

CPU Ratio Setting: 8.0
FSB Strap to North Bridge: 333MHz
DRAM Frequency: 943MHz

CPU Voltage: 1.20v (1.176v actual - VID)
CPU Voltage Damper: ENABLED
PLL Voltage: 1.58v
DRAM Voltage: 2.1v
FSB Termination Voltage: ~1.44v
North Bridge Voltage: ~1.45v

Edit:
My lowest stable cpu voltage at this speed appears to be 1.16v actual.

Edit2:
The processor can do 3.8GHz (8.5x447) at 1.160v and the above settings. I cannot get 4.0GHz stable. Even more, the motherboard won't do 6x480 without error while 6x471 works fine. More voltage isn't helping. I'll likely just leave it at 3.8 but it's frustrating not being able to go further with this cpu.

You should definitely push a little more voltage into your RAM to give you some room. You might be close to the limit of what your RAM can do at 1.8V, even though it doesn't look like it's your (only) problem.

Looks like the pencil mod has worked, with your idle/load voltages being what they are.

How confident are you that 8x471 is stable. 10 hours of P95? IBT?

You should definitely push a little more voltage into your RAM to give you some room. You might be close to the limit of what your RAM can do at 1.8V, even though it doesn't look like it's your (only) problem.

Looks like the pencil mod has worked, with your idle/load voltages being what they are.

How confident are you that 8x471 is stable. 10 hours of P95? IBT?

I have 2.1v going to the ram...8x471 is stable as it's been running IBT all night and will continue to run most of the day today. I'm not sure why people have said 20 tests take a little over 20 minutes though...for me a single test takes like 5-10 minutes.

I have 2.1v going to the ram...8x471 is stable as it's been running IBT all night and will continue to run most of the day today. I'm not sure why people have said 20 tests take a little over 20 minutes though...for me a single test takes like 5-10 minutes.

That's stable enough in my book. And 8.5 is no-go?

That's stable enough in my book. And 8.5 is no-go?

Not at all. I have a hard time blaming the cpu since it works at such a low voltage at 3.8. I do know that I'm apparently at the limits of the motherboard with sane voltages since 6x480 fails fairly quickly.

Not at all. I have a hard time blaming the cpu since it works at such a low voltage at 3.8. I do know that I'm apparently at the limits of the motherboard with sane voltages since 6x480 fails fairly quickly.

I would have thought that going from 8 to 8.5 would be entirely down to the CPU... But I'm curious: what temps are you getting on IBT when you test 8x471?

Also I really find it strange: when I look at pvhk's results on the previous page with a Q9400 he has to put something like 1.4V to get to 8x480 yet you seem to be running almost the same with much lower voltages. Also voltages go up real quick when you get to that point so it could be that 8.5x471 is too much for your CPU...

Back