Asus P5E-VM HDMI: best matx ever?

Great news, IsLNdbOi. I had never seen ATI PCI cards (well, not since the early 90's... hehehe). It's great to know you also have a chance with ATI cards, the great thing being you only need one driver for the whole family (correct me if I'm wrong, please).

The only thing I find bad on "non-standard" implementations is the price... Almost $100 for a low-end PCI card... That's steep...

Anyway, thank you again for the info, it's always good to know.

Cheers.

Miguel

Thanks for the feedback guys, but I still don't understant. So, if I use the integrated Intel HDMI/VGA on this Asus P5E vm, I can put that ATI 1550 PCI card and enable Vista Aero Glass?

The key word is Aero Glass. I'm sure you all know, you CAN mix cards and have different drivers under Vista, and Vista will still run BUT Aero Glass will be disabled. You will have Aero basic, which mean no Vista eye candy. I have a Matrox P650 AGP and several ATI PCI (7000 and 9200) in one Vista machine and it's doing that. To get Aero Glass to work, you must only have one brand of video card ( e.g. ATI or Nvidia etc). That's AFAIK and hence my original question.

Lastly, do you guys know of any PCI cards that are dual DVI terminated and also Vista compatible? Thanks for the info. If I can find such a card (or settled with the one just mentioned with the DVI and VGA), I may just go for an older Shuttle since they mostly only have1 PCex16 and 1 PCI expansion cards. I would use both since I am trying to drive 4 monitors for non gaming applications. My other two options would be to wait for the Shuttle X38 with dual PCIe x16 slots or do a custom built with the Asus P5E-VM HDMI or the other existing boards using both the x16 slot and the x1/x4 slot (I've yet to encounter x4 video cards, but have seen several x1 cards).

I now have a vcore mod for you guys!
Together with my vdroop mod you can eliminate any droop whatsoever.
For now I've settled at getting the "real" vcore close to the 1.7v setting in bios...
I now get stable speeds over 4.0+ GHz!

What's strange though is that the board gives "Cpu Overvoltage" error during bootup when vcore is set higher than 1.6 volts... makes you wonder why there's a 1.7 vcore value in bios if it wasn't even supposed to work...

p5evmhdmivcorevdroopdg2.jpg

very good job allsop! :eek:

another shot for us of you vcore mod with the VR soldered?
thxs again

Allsop, awesome work on the vcore and vdroop mods. How is the integrated HDMI graphics? Still no show here in the US.

Allsop, awesome work on the vcore and vdroop mods. How is the integrated HDMI graphics? Still no show here in the US.

Haven't tried the IGP since I have a dedicated GFX-card....
Though it should work OK in Vista and once Intel releases their DX 10
drivers it might be even better.

But I don't know for sure about Vista compatibility since I run Mac OS 10.5 on this board and it's almost perfect as for the Atheros nic which doesn't have a driver :)

mobo received from uk, thxs to overclockers.uk (not available in france!)
G7275copier.jpg

upcoming test to come...

Haven't tried the IGP since I have a dedicated GFX-card....
But I don't know for sure about Vista compatibility since I run Mac OS 10.5 on this board and it's almost perfect as for the Atheros nic which doesn't have a driver :)
I plan on running Mac OS 10.5 as well :cool:

upcoming test to come...

Awesome!

G7275copier.jpg

upcoming test to come...

Looking forward to your tests! My P5K-VM arrived yesterday so I wont be using this newest mobo but I'm wanting to know how well it works. mATX users need more good mobos to choose from. Hopefully the P5E-VM HDMI will deliver.

thxs again for your shot Allsop! ;)
I will perform your vdroop mod 'cause it's easy....

[orgasm]
More reason to learn how to do that sysprep crap to change motherboards. Hopefully, I'll be able to see how high I can really go on my E4300.
[/orgasm]

I hope this board comes through alright.

Leman, we have the same box and processor. :)

pvhk : what do you think I will be able to do with me E4300 with the P5E-VM HDMI more than with my current F-I90HD? Mine is still running at 300MHz FSB even if I would be able to run it at 333MHz, just haven't done it for long since I had no need.

It's mostly curiosity because I plan to get a newer processor anyway.

Leman, we have the same box and processor. :)

pvhk : what do you think I will be able to do with me E4300 with the P5E-VM HDMI more than with my current F-I90HD? Mine is still running at 300MHz FSB even if I would be able to run it at 333MHz, just haven't done it for long since I had no need.

It's mostly curiosity because I plan to get a newer processor anyway.
the mb itself will hit easily fsb@333 with a e4300 (it's already the case with the p5kvm)!
However most e4300 have an fsb wall around 350: so you won't be able to raise the fsb @400 even if the mb can do it easily (the culprid will be the e4300). Otherwise, you will have ratio1:1 with this mb.

Take a look at the ASUS P5E-VM HDMI

[

the bundle:

focus on the socket:

the mysterious module:

an extension of the silicon image chip?

A good point, the bios eprom is no more soldered to the mb:

The chipset heatsink:
g7281copierlu1.jpg

The PLL:
g7283copieryc6.jpg

The resistors necessary to pencil in order to raise the vcore (thxs to Allsop):

And now the bios:
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
new for matx boards:

CPU Voltage Damper
[auto] [disabled] [enabled]

FSB Strap to North Bridge
(will be adjusted automatically by FSB Frequency and DRAM Frequency)
[Auto] [200MHz] [266MHz] [333MHz].
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

CPU Ratio Control
[Auto] [Manual]
unlocked downward for all cpu and upward for extrem edition (up to 31x)

vcore:

vDDR:
DRAM Voltage
[Auto] [1.80V] [1.82V] [1.84V] ~ [2.40V] [2.42V] [2.44V]

ratio fsb/ram available when fsb@400:

other voltages tweaks:
FSB Termination Voltage
[Auto] [1.20V] [1.22V] [1.24V] ~ [1.46V] [1.48V] [1.50V]

North Bridge Voltage
[Auto][1.25V] [1.27V] [1.29V] ~ [1.67V] [1.69V] [1.71V]

North Bridge Voltage Reference
[Auto] [0.67x] [0.61x]

South Bridge Voltage
[Auto] [1.05V] [1.20V]

PLL Voltage
[Auto] [1.50V] [1.52V] [1.54V] [1.56V] ~ [1.76V] [1.78V]

onboard video can be disabled::

fans speed can be tweaked:

The rig:
x6800 + TR ultra120 + scythe NMB MAT 120 + 1 stick ballistix5300 (fsb@500+) & corsair PC5400C4 v5.7 2x 512 (fsb@450)+ 7900GS +PSU antec su380w

The goal of these tests is to search for the max fsb of the mb!

FSB @450, ram sync @900Mhz, other bios settings by default= without hiccups!!:
hdmi.jpg

Raising fsb@500 wasn't that easy! with all the bios options available, it was necessary to make some tweaks to hit this value!
Because by default: it was possible to boot but the OS freezed rapidly!
cpu ratio 6x in bios
with these settings below:
FSB termination [email protected] (not auto)
FSB strap to NB@333 (not [auto])++
[email protected]++
fsb500.jpg

it works!!

Wanted to see if this mb can hit over fsb@500 just for fun!!!

fsb@510 + FSB term. volt @1.32v, [email protected] + PLL voltage@1.54v (and not auto)
ratio cpu 6x .
raising fsb@510 using setfsb was finally a success (boot fsb@500)
fsb510.jpg

In order to hit fsb +500
,compared to the p5k-vm: some tweaks need to be done! But in the end, the results are here!!
This mb rocks

Mobo tested with x6800 but how is this working with some core2duo 800mhz ? (max fsb and waht multipier ?)

Thank you for the fine work.

Between the P5E-VM & P5K-VM which would you choose for a reliable gaming rig?

I'd be more than tempted to say the DS2R for a FSB1333 processor...

If you have the money to spend, however, I'd try the P5E-VM HDMI (not the DO, remember that). Just because it looks better.

If you have the money to spend, however, I'd try the P5E-VM HDMI (not the DO, remember that). Just because it looks better.

I was under the impression that the P5K-VM was slightly better for OCing if one did not need RAID?

The P5E-VM does look very interesting.

Does anyone know how much the P5K-VM (non HDMI) cost when they first released in the US? If it was greater than $150, I think I would rather buy the P5K-VM now for $100 since the P5K-VM HDMI would cost much more.

Great results, pvhk! This is a great board indeed. I can only imagine when the BIOS becomes more mature...

Now, I have a couple of questions for you, if you don't mind. First: how much did you pay for it (in €, please)? Second: is the southbridge the ICH8R or the ICH9R? The site first said ICH8R, now it says ICH9R, and even though CPU-Z shows ICH9R, I'm pretty much confused about that one... And third: what are the memory dividers? I think you said 200, 266 and 333, but that doesn't make much sense to me... Not only it leaves 400 out of the equation but also it would support many non-standard straps for the 3x series chipsets (not that I mind, 1:1 support on 800MHz CPUs is great; I just think there is something missing...)

Thank you in advance.

Cheers.

Miguel

Great results, pvhk! This is a great board indeed. I can only imagine when the BIOS becomes more mature...

Now, I have a couple of questions for you, if you don't mind. First: how much did you pay for it (in €, please)? Second: is the southbridge the ICH8R or the ICH9R? The site first said ICH8R, now it says ICH9R, and even though CPU-Z shows ICH9R, I'm pretty much confused about that one... And third: what are the memory dividers? I think you said 200, 266 and 333, but that doesn't make much sense to me... Not only it leaves 400 out of the equation but also it would support many non-standard straps for the 3x series chipsets (not that I mind, 1:1 support on 800MHz CPUs is great; I just think there is something missing...)

Thank you in advance.

Cheers.

Miguel

1)ordered in UK : overclockers.uk (because not available in france) : very expensive but as i said i wanted bad !
123,07£= 176€ (shipping fee included)
but available now in deutschland for a better price!
2) ICH9R as said in page1 and on asus website
3)memory divider is shown on this screen when fsb is set @400:
http://img102.imageshack.us/img102/7559/g7294copiermf3.jpg
(@500 there remains only 3 ratio available...)

The FSB strap to NB is another option different from fsb/mem ratio!

What's wrong with DO? I'm waiting for the P5E-VM HDMI but the DO was tempted as I could build one right now

Hey,

nice Forum here. I just wrote a little "first impression" about this board in the german forum called forum de luxx.
My first impression of the P5E is very good. Very easy installation. Everything is easy to reach on this board. Also the bios is well arranged.
I´m using a E4300. It runs stable at fsb 365. I can´t go further because it has a fsb hole here.click me
I also have the problem with the Vdrop but i havn´t made the mod by now.

All in all I can say it´s a nice board and i have fun with it. (Costs 120 € in germany)

@ Allsop
can i use your picture of the vdrop mod im my article?

Tremeloes

as8.jpg

as7.jpg

as4.jpg

as3.jpg

as10.jpg

Does anyone know how much the P5K-VM (non HDMI) cost when they first released in the US? If it was greater than $150, I think I would rather buy the P5K-VM now for $100 since the P5K-VM HDMI would cost much more.

If I remember correctly th P5K-VM first hit stores for around $130 US when it made its debut. You can find one now online for around $105 if you hit a sale. About $115 without a sale or MIR.

Edit: Cheapest I paid was $113 (nonsale) and the cheapest I seen was about $105 but it was a sale item a week or so ago. The one I ordered last week was $115 (nonsale).

For those who wanted to see how the hdmi board would behave with a c2d fsb800, the answer is in Tremeloes post! But It is not surprising knowing the results with the p5k-vm board.....

Concerning the vcore,using a c2d x6800: i noticed a"bug" in vcore values (bios 202) rather disappointing!!!!
bios values selected from 1.50 to 1.60 & from 1.60v to 1.70v give the same real vcore::mad:

For instance selecting :
vcore bios @1.55v or 1.65v result in 1.464 v real
vcore bios @1.5875 or 1.6875v result in 1.496v real
vcore bios @1.60v or 1.70v result in 1.50v real

As mentioned earlier by allsop, the max vcore obtained with this mb is only 1.49v with a c2q & 1.50 with a c2d....
Fortunately: we have allsop vdroop mod....

For those who wanted to see how the hdmi board would behave with a c2d fsb800, the answer is in Tremeloes post! But It is not surprising knowing the results with the p5k-vm board.....

Concerning the vcore,using a c2d x6800: i noticed a"bug" in vcore values (bios 202) rather disappointing!!!!
bios values selected from 1.50 to 1.60 & from 1.60v to 1.70v give the same real vcore::mad:

For instance selecting :
vcore bios @1.55v or 1.65v result in 1.464 v real
vcore bios @1.5875 or 1.6875v result in 1.496v real
vcore bios @1.60v or 1.70v result in 1.50v real

As mentioned earlier by allsop, the max vcore obtained with this mb is only 1.49v with a c2q & 1.50 with a c2d....
Fortunately: we have allsop vdroop mod....

Yeah I noticed that also...

1.6v or 1.7v in bios gives real 1.58v with vdroop mod...1.48 without...
This is with the 302 bios... seems to be the same problem as 202...

Anyway I can run a stable 4.1 GHz with 1.64v or 4.2 with a little vcore bump but for now I've settled for 4Ghz. Need better cooling for 24/7 operation..

Hope we get a better bios soon... would be nice if they would fix the damper and include monitoring of temps/volts of NB/SB/DDR etc in bios....

ASUS has a pretty good BIOS development program so we'll have to see if they address this or not.

Back