Asus motherboard replacement parts (Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Formula X570)

pclausen

Gawd
So I just received an Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Formula X570 that I picked up used from eBay at a good price. Only problem is that the cover that goes over the M.2 slots is missing.

Asus online chat just takes me to a FAQ search. I don't see anything on their site about ordering spare parts.

Any idea how I would go about ordering a replacement cover/heatsink for the M.2 slots?

Send the board back. You won't be able to get a hold of anyone that could get you a replacement. You'd be expecting them to be a lot more flexible then they are. Last year during Ryzen 3000 release, Asus had a rash of ROG boards shipped with a missing grill over the chipset fan. The boards had to be returned for replacement. They couldn't ship the affected owners grills directly then. And to hope they do it for a single owner, don't get your hopes up.

That said, this would be a complaint to the seller no? You could obviously add heatsink but on resale it kinda hurts the value of the board later.

Send the board back. You won't be able to get a hold of anyone that could get you a replacement. You'd be expecting them to be a lot more flexible then they are. Last year during Ryzen 3000 release, Asus had a rash of ROG boards shipped with a missing grill over the chipset fan. The boards had to be returned for replacement. They couldn't ship the affected owners grills directly then. And to hope they do it for a single owner, don't get your hopes up.

That said, this would be a complaint to the seller no? You could obviously add heatsink but on resale it kinda hurts the value of the board later.
Resale value means nothing if he got a good deal on it to begin with. I say don't worry about and just make sure any NVMe drives you get have a heatsink with it.

Yeah I got the board for $200 off list, right at $400. That is still very high for a X570, but I really like the features of this board. Can't believe it weigh over 4 lbs! lol

Anyway, I'll be running a pair of Sabrent Rocket NVMe 4.0 NVMe's that I already purchased. I did NOT not order the ones with the heat sinks since X570 was supposed to do that for me...

IMG_1145.JPG

IMG_1146.JPG

The mobo will be mounted in a Thermaltake Core P5, so everything will be exposed, so I would really like the that section of the mobo to look properly and take advantage of the active cooling the chipset fan would provide. Besides, there is no room from the Sabrent branded coolers to fit per the pics above.

I reached out to the seller, but looking back at the pics, it is clear that the cover is missing, I just did not catch it. Oh well, I guess I can always return it and pick one up from NewEgg for $50 off with Black Friday protection (if it goes on sale then, they will refund me the difference).

EDIT: Looking at the Sabrent heat sink, it looks like it might actually work with the above layout. But it will be really tight getting the single screw in holding the NVMe's in place I think???

sabrent.PNG

Last edited:
Yeah I got the board for $200 off list, right at $400. That is still very high for a X570, but I really like the features of this board. Can't believe it weigh over 4 lbs! lol

Anyway, I'll be running a pair of Sabrent Rocket NVMe 4.0 NVMe's that I already purchased. I did NOT not order the ones with the heat sinks since X570 was supposed to do that for me...

View attachment 295211

View attachment 295212

The mobo will be mounted in a Thermaltake Core P5, so everything will be exposed, so I would really like the that section of the mobo to look properly and take advantage of the active cooling the chipset fan would provide. Besides, there is no room from the Sabrent branded coolers to fit per the pics above.

I reached out to the seller, but looking back at the pics, it is clear that the cover is missing, I just did not catch it. Oh well, I guess I can always return it and pick one up from NewEgg for $50 off with Black Friday protection (if it goes on sale then, they will refund me the difference).

EDIT: Looking at the Sabrent heat sink, it looks like it might actually work with the above layout. But it will be really tight getting the single screw in holding the NVMe's in place I think???

View attachment 295253
I say buy the heasink kits for those and be done with it.

I just realized that there is basically no room on the sides to allow a heatsink to come around to the back side of the NVMe's:

IMG_1147.JPG

I can just barely fit a sheet of paper down either side...

I just realized that there is basically no room on the sides to allow a heatsink to come around to the back side of the NVMe's:

View attachment 295265

I can just barely fit a sheet of paper down either side...
Yeah, unless you use the type that's held on by the thermal pads you are gonna have to call them. I understand they didn't want to help out with the fan cover but you have to give it a shot. Surprising as I've had zero options dealing with Asus customer service.

Last edited:
Just got off the phone with Asus support. Basically no hold time and the guy was very friendly and he created a case # for me and had it escalated to their tier 2 support. He said they will get back to me within 24-48 hours with a cost for the replacement part. He was not able to tell me from his records if that part was available, but he felt pretty confident that tier 2 support will be able to assist. The first thing he asked for was my serial number, which I guess checked out and he got my other contact info and proceeded to create the case.

So we will see how it goes...

Last edited:
Reactions: Mylex
like this
Good luck dude, fingers crossed. The heatsinks work pretty well on these boards so its worth getting them.

I've had a few emails back and fourth with Asus about getting the M.2 cover I'm missing. Hopefully they will come through. So for now, I got a couple of cheap passive heatsinks.

IMG_1174.JPG

Each one came with 3 pairs of thermal pads, so I was able to use the thinnest ones on the backside of each NVMe and used the next thinnest ones for the heat sinks.

Also moved my Trident 32GB Kit (3200 14 CAS) onto the mobo from another rig, so I'm ready for my new 5000 series CPU (should be here Thursday according to UPS).

IMG_1173.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_1174.JPG
    IMG_1174.JPG
    371.2 KB · Views: 0
Reactions: Mylex
like this
I've had a few emails back and fourth with Asus about getting the M.2 cover I'm missing. Hopefully they will come through. So for now, I got a couple of cheap passive heatsinks.

View attachment 297560

Each one came with 3 pairs of thermal pads, so I was able to use the thinnest ones on the backside of each NVMe and used the next thinnest ones for the heat sinks.

Also moved my Trident 32GB Kit (3200 14 CAS) onto the mobo from another rig, so I'm ready for my new 5000 series CPU (should be here Thursday according to UPS).

View attachment 297572
If your vid card can clear those heatsinks, why even bother with getting parts from ASUS?

My video card will go in the slot closest to the CPU so it should clear just fine. The slot adjacent to the NVMe's will hold my dual 25 Gbps NIC, and it clears by a couple of mm:

IMG_1175.JPG

The only airflow this rig will get, is whatever the chipset fan provides. It kinda looks like there is no airflow to the compartment housing the NVMe's:

formula_heatsink_1.PNG

Since I don't have the heatsink cover, I'm not really sure how effective it is compared to the ones I got.

formula_heatsink_2.PNG

Board will be mounted vertically on a Core P5 chassis. I'll run various disk benchmarks once I get all my pieces together to see what my temps are like on the NVMe's.

Worst case, I'll mount a 80mm fan to blow across the NVMe heatsinks. Bonus is that would also help keep the Mellanox NIC cool since it has just a passive heatsink as well (meant to be installed in a server with plenty of airflow).

Back