Asus Motherboard Question

Woody72

n00b
I have an Asus B85M-E motherboard and my D drive randomly disappears. I use to be able to go to device manager and scan for hardware changes and it would be back. It no longer does this. I have checked the disk with crystal disk and it says everything is good with the drive. Also I put a different drive in and it did the same thing. These drives are installed inside as sata. I have switched the power supply cables with the dvd drive (which has never disappeared) and replaced the sata cables, also updated all drivers including the IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers and it still does it. Could my motherboard be going bad or could it be something else. Thank you for any help.

Did you try a different power supply? Power supplies on the verge of failure will often present by dropping random devices, usually drives.

But I would recommend pulling the drive out of the machine and backing it up on something else ASAP if you have data you care about on it.

do you have another sata plug on the motherboard you could use ?
your troubleshooting sounds pretty comprehensive so you would have tried that, probably.
isolating the problem to a specific sata plug would make me think motherboard malf.

Back