Asus Maximus V Formula powers on, but no boot (and USB Flashback question)

dexvx

[H]ard|Gawd
I picked this guy at the electronic recycler. Board looked in okay condition, no bent pins that I see.

Put in an i7-2600 ES, 1x 2GB DDR3-1333, Corsair HX750 PSU for testing purposes (all tested working on a Gigabyte Z77 board).

Powers on, Q-Code gets stuck on 69, which is 'System Agent DXE initialization started'. Whatever that means.

Tried the USB flashback with the latest BIOS. Not really sure how it works, but it literally blinked for ~3 seconds and then a solid light. I was under the assumption that it would blink for much longer as it flashed the BIOS? In any event, USB flashback failed, and its stuck at Q-Code 69.

What are the chances its just a corrupt BIOS chip? Those can be had on eBay for ~$12. What would a corrupt BIOS chip be like when read through an SPI Reader?

Any input is welcome.

I picked this guy at the electronic recycler. Board looked in okay condition, no bent pins that I see.

Put in an i7-2600 ES, 1x 2GB DDR3-1333, Corsair HX750 PSU for testing purposes (all tested working on a Gigabyte Z77 board).

Powers on, Q-Code gets stuck on 69, which is 'System Agent DXE initialization started'. Whatever that means.

Tried the USB flashback with the latest BIOS. Not really sure how it works, but it literally blinked for ~3 seconds and then a solid light. I was under the assumption that it would blink for much longer as it flashed the BIOS? In any event, USB flashback failed, and its stuck at Q-Code 69.

What are the chances its just a corrupt BIOS chip? Those can be had on eBay for ~$12. What would a corrupt BIOS chip be like when read through an SPI Reader?

Any input is welcome.

If it blinks for 3 seconds and turns solid it means it didn't work. It would blink for ~60 seconds and then shut off, also if your USB flash drive has an activity light, that would be blinking as well for the same duration.

Based on iwhocorrupts statement, I assumed the BIOS went bad (because it won't even flash it during flashback).

Ordered new BIOS chip off eBay, and now board will POST!

Back