ASUS Announces ROG SWIFT PG278Q Premium Gaming Monitor

Still think a late July release in north america is possible? Or we still looking at early August?

DisplayPort supports daisy chaining. Please stop spreading misinformation. You simply need to get a Display port hub to connect multiple monitors to one DisplayPort on a GPU.

DisplayPort supports daisy chaining. Please stop spreading misinformation. You simply need to get a Display port hub to connect multiple monitors to one DisplayPort on a GPU.

Not when it comes to this monitor. DP hubs only work on low bandwidth multiple displays like 1080p@60Hz. The Swift requires a dedicated DP 1.2 port due to it's very high bandwidth requirement which cannot be split by DP Hubs.

Sorry deployed, maybe if someone hasn't done it by 2015 lol. Heck, there may even be a better monitor out by then..

The Swift Turbo II gold edition!

Well will be longer than august since port workers are striking again in long beach and San Pedro lol

This is not the funniest picture thread, please try and stay on topic....

As the other Administrator said, please keep it on topic. If you disagree with the way the thread is being moderated, take it to PM.

So anyone have any info when the exact date and possible reviews for this monitor? (On Topic)

btw, this topic was fun till blizzard nerfed it :rolleyes: (On topic since I'm talking about the topic)

So anyone have any info when the exact date and possible reviews for this monitor? (On Topic)

btw, this topic was fun till blizzard nerfed it :rolleyes: (On topic since I'm talking about the topic)

Yeah like Two more Weeks from Today a little bird told me.

TFT Central have the screen now and are reviewing it so guess it will be a week or so. They've posted some teasers on their twitter

I think it is more like banging head against the wall due to the wait. Frustration leads to vandalism.

I want to know where the other G-Sync monitors are. Sure, Asus had to source out and custom make this panel... but Benq didn't. They definitely already had some 1ms TN 27 inch panels in house that they could make a G-Sync chip for.. I just don't understand all the delays or lack of announcements outside of Asus's ROG panel.

Asus and BenQ use CMO and AUO TN panels. The 'special' claims=marketing and purchased, timed exclusivity.

This monitor is hundreds of dollars over priced. If this was put out like 2 years ago then it would be awesome.

Haha this is not "FOR THE HARD CORE GAMER!" Its very nice yet you are NOT getting what you pay for. Again its great monitor ..just waaaaaay over priced.

Just MAKE SURE if you decide to give them your extra cash you can return it.

Okay. Then what is for the hardcore gamer then that this one doesn't have given currently technologies? I don't want to hear any OLED bullshit either.

I would like it to be around $150 cheaper then the suggested $799 price floating around but there is a considerable markup on G-Sync at the moment.

It'll also depend on the image quality too. If this is just another washed out "gaming" panel then it is way over priced even considering G-sync. Now if this thing has superb image quality then that along with the G-sync makes it a little easier to shell out $700+ for it at least IMO.

This monitor is hundreds of dollars over priced. If this was put out like 2 years ago then it would be awesome.

It's pretty hard to overprice a product that has completely unique specs and features in the market. It's not like you can comparison shop this monitor against anything else out there at all, save maybe the FG2421. But 1440p is a major selling point.

When did all the poor, wretched and marginalized suddenly feel it was wise to set sail for the Island of PC paradise? If you're bitching about ponying up the dough for the bleeding edge then Microsoft and Sony are waiting to embrace you with their creepy hugs that seem to last far too long.

BEGONE!!

Haha this is not "FOR THE HARD CORE GAMER!" Its very nice yet you are NOT getting what you pay for. Again its great monitor ..just waaaaaay over priced.
You obviously do not understand the psychology of pricing. Luxury items actually sell more volume when they are overpriced due to enhanced exclusivity for the consumer. Those that can easily afford the item do so because buying toys releases endorphins, while those who have to scrape up their pennies to buy the item are grateful to earn a seat at the big boy table, if only for a little while. Those who cannot afford the product are angry, bitter, wanting, and obsessive until they can finally acquire the item.

Women pay thousands of dollars for a pair of uncomfortable shoes that are nothing more than a strap of leather glued to a wedge of rubber with a fancy logo and you think the Rog Swift is overpriced? ROFL!

PLEASE NOTE: Women pay thousands of dollars = women spend thousands of OUR dollars.

When ALL AVAILABLE stock sells out in the first minute due to the vapid F5'ing mob, you will see it's not.

FIFY :D

Last edited:
It is overpriced by $150 or more. If it's specs hold up performance wise it will be the best 1st/3rd gaming monitor around other than perhaps the eizo FG2421 (if you get a good one out of the somewhat 'panel lottery'), or a calibrated and maintained fw900 graphics professional crt (until it inevitably fades, blooms, suffers screen anomalies and fails).

"Hardcore" is a nice catch phrase but it promises to be the best aesthetic 1st/3rd person game viewport (motion) available in a flat panel considering it has both backlight strobing and g-sync options, 120hz - 144hz input at 1ms, and at 2560x1440 .. that is:

in motion clarity - blur reduction (of both indivdual objects and the entire viewport/game world moving during your continual movement keying and mouse-look flow pathing.. and dynamic hz avoiding judder/tearing) .. or blur elimination w/strobing

motion articulation - more action slices and movement states per given motion path so more articulated character/weapon motion~flow, every other entity's motion articulation, as well as entire viewport/game world moving in FoV 1st/3rd person camera movement motion (movement keying and mouse-looking). Also more animation slices possible to be shown per second (general animation cycles and per entity motion path animation cycles).

2560x1440 resolution at 1ms with 120hz-144hz.. - the only 2560x1440 intentionally manfuactured to hit 120hz-144hz input, and combined with 1ms should have considerably more blur reduction than a slow 2560x "overclocked" ips,
as well as having the g-sync capablility to eliminate the need for v-sync's fps limitations and tradeoffs while still eliminating judder "hiccups" and tearing.. or zero blur backlight strobing on games you get very high fps on.

So it being overpriced does nothing to refute that it may be the best 1st/3rd person flat panel gaming monitor available for quite some time. (Your own personal gpu budget might make future 1080p g-sync+ulmb a much better choice for awhile yet though. 1920x1080 is still the sweet spot for enthusiast gpu budgets on the most modern games without dipping into extreme gpu budgets).

Last edited:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a-u-6i_RJRI

Couple things I've noticed in that review.

Firstly, he had the monitor set to 144Hz but was only pushing 60-80 FPS. Sure G-Sync makes it feel smoother at lower FPS, but to really get the benefit of the monitor IMO he should either lower the graphics settings or get a faster PC. He was barely running any smoother than a 60 Hz G-Sync display.

Secondly, look's like the ULMB option in OSD is greyed out as expected if it's in G-Sync mode.

Last edited:
Yes target average for me would be 100fps, higher if possible though obviously (assuming the monitor doesn't have deal breaker issues to me, I plan on getting one).
I'd experiment using g-sync or ulmb at that rate to see how each do at 100 or so ave fps. On most modern demanding games that 100 or so average fps requires two 780ti's in sli (or could get higher than 100 fps ave if you run lower than ultra, even if only down to a custom "high +"). I do have a bunch of games in my steam library that would run at much higher fps even with my single 780ti however, and on those I'd use ulmb mode.

There are a few modern games like skyrim that will run just over 100fps with a single 780ti (even with the 2k texture pack) on ultra, but things like tombraider(54), bioshock infinite(63), batman: ark origins(69), metro:LL(35), and similarly demanding games would be nowhere close on ultra. Not sure how much more fps even a "high +" custom setting would give on those ones.

I'd really be putting the cart before the horse getting this 2560x gaming monitor in regard to the more demanding modern games due to the resolution's demands but I don't want to do dual card sli until the 800 series. I still have a lot of games in my steam library that would do great until then.

Vega I know I asked you this before but I'd like to ask you again what you think a good displayport 1.2 extension length would be for this monitor. I plan on moving my pc behind a door/wall behind my desk but it will be much closer than it is now (now it's like 25' run).

I looked these up from the place I got my 25' heavy gauge dp 1.2 ext cables.

circuitassembly.com mini-displayport-female-to-displayport-male-adapter-cable-15-ft

circuitassembly.com mini-displayport-female-to-displayport-male-adapter-cable-10-ft

I'll most likely be running it up through ceiling rafters rather than though the wall at ground or desk level so a little extra slack would help out. I wouldn't want to get one too long + use one of my 1' mini to dp back to the monitor and have the signal drop or have issues. If I have to I'll go through the wall rather than the ceiling to save run length I guess. dp signal strength sucks, especially from nvidia (my amd 6990 was solid at 25'+ run, 780ti not so much).

If this will be as good as they say, then it WILL be worth every penny you cheap bastards ;)

Do you literally just pop up every page to insult people? Nobody here is cheap, it's a forum for PC enthusiasts for hardware... There was one guy who said the monitor is higher priced than it costs to make. By god they want to make a profit. What's new. These will sell out in 5 minutes after going up on Newegg anyway.

Having zero motion blur and sync breaking isn't going to make me happier one bit.
Now if your Blur Buster =)

In My Humble Opinion a TN monitor over 200$ is always overpriced, even if with 4k resolution and 240hz.
If only they would produce a 120hz Gsync IPS/VA 1440p, maybe it could worth 800$, but not with a TN panel.
I wish Eizo will make a 27'' 1440p Foris one day, i'm tired of 24'' 1080p displays!

If I were to spend 800$, I would buy or an Eizo EV2736W or LG 34UM95, if I can't have everything I prefer to give up to the 144hz than to the image quality.

Last edited:
In My Humble Opinion a TN monitor over 200$ is always overpriced, even if with 4k resolution and 240hz.
If only they would produce a 120hz Gsync IPS/VA 1440p, maybe it could worth 800$, but not with a TN panel.

ASUS were pretty open about why they didn't use an IPS panel. Consumers think they know more than R&D departments for some reason.

Find an IPS panel that is affordable and matches the specs of this monitor.

ASUS were pretty open about why they didn't use an IPS panel. Consumers think they know more than R&D departments for some reason.

Find an IPS panel that is affordable and matches the specs of this monitor.

Asus does not manufacture LCD panels, and there are not 1440p IPS panels that support native 120/144Hz, this is not an Asus fault.

What I don't understand is why gamers are content with TN screens with poor visual quality, if there was a greater demand for IPS / VA for gaming too, manufacturers would produce them.

Is anyone planning to get this monitor in Surround (x3)? Can 4x GTX-Titan Black SC run most games @ 144Hz at that resolution (which is quite low compared to 4K Surround)?

I'm still keeping my 4K Surround setup - should I get 1 or 3 of these ROG monitors. hmm...

Asus does not manufacture LCD panels, and there are not 1440p IPS panels that support native 120/144Hz, this is not an Asus fault.

What I don't understand is why gamers are content with TN screens with poor visual quality, if there was a greater demand for IPS / VA for gaming too, manufacturers would produce them.

You realize that most gamers aren't [H]ard like the rest of us, so the cheapest option is all that matters, which is why a vast majority of monitors sold in retail stores and online tend to be TN. After that, the other end of the spectrum are the hardcore competitive players, who could care less about color accuracy and more about how responsive a panel is to get that input lag down as low as they can, which only TN can do right now.

IPS and VA type screens have always been more focused on the graphic designers, who are willing to pay massive premiums for their screens, which is why you see very few created and marketed for gamers. It would be nice for these companies to make an IPS or VA panel with the same responsiveness and higher refresh rate of a TN (without overclocking and overdrive), but the R&D cost would never be recoverable through sales in what is a very fickle market.

That being said though, TFTCentral did tweet this last night from a pub:

Don't want to give too much away before the review but Asus ROG Swift PG278Q has decent TN film contrast of around 1000:1
https://twitter.com/TFTCentral/status/487657025967759360

FhV4oG2.gif

Back