Assassin's Creed Valhalla

Good thing I already finished the game, I hate auto leveling enemies. And what is this nonsense about a time limited event? In a single player game no less? Fuck off with your live service garbage ubi. I play the game when I want to, not when you graciously allow me access to certain content. It's a good thing I haven't bought the game.
You like going through areas where you've so vastly out-leveled an enemy you kill them in one hit?

I don't.

You like going through areas where you've so vastly out-leveled an enemy you kill them in one hit?

I don't.
Yes, sometimes.
If you massively overlevel before doing a low level region, well that's on you. What I don't like are enemies that are the same difficulty no matter your level. WtF is the point of leveling if enemies scale with you? Might as well do away with it all then and just have an action game without RPG stuff.

Good thing I already finished the game, I hate auto leveling enemies. And what is this nonsense about a time limited event? In a single player game no less? Fuck off with your live service garbage ubi. I play the game when I want to, not when you graciously allow me access to certain content. It's a good thing I haven't bought the game.
Personally I like timed events in games (singleplayer or multiplayer). Sounds a bit stupid but it gives the feeling of ‘community’ to the game. I still remember COD4 Christmas Crash from back in the day...good stuff.

I don't.
I do. After all, I like going into areas where I'm so vastly over-leveled that enemies take me out in one hit. Later, I like visiting those areas and having a competitive go of it. And finally, I like visiting those areas and turning the "one-hit" favor from my early game hours.

WtF is the point of leveling if enemies scale with you? Might as well do away with it all then and just have an action game without RPG stuff.

More difficult enemy types, more enemies, more difficult scenarios and more character upgrades to tackle them. As your character gets more abilities (via increased levels) the game becomes more difficult. You can easily make it work if you're not a lazy developer.

More difficult enemy types, more enemies, more difficult scenarios and more character upgrades to tackle them. As your character gets more abilities (via increased levels) the game becomes more difficult. You can easily make it work if you're not a lazy developer.
You don't need enemy scaling for any of that, or enemy levels for that matter. Making enemy levels, and then making them scale with you is self defeating.

Personally I like timed events in games (singleplayer or multiplayer). Sounds a bit stupid but it gives the feeling of ‘community’ to the game. I still remember COD4 Christmas Crash from back in the day...good stuff.
It's nothing but banking on Fomo. They can have their timed events, just leave the content in so I can access it any time later.

What is the limited time event? I did not notice anything out of the oridnary when I played earlier.

There's some trees cleared out to the east of the settlement, a small dock and a wooden bridge that are all new. It'd be awesome if it built towards completion each day for the next five days or something but it looks like they cleared it out as a placeholder for the next update. If that's the case they better do it quickly with christmas being just around the corner.

Seems like a lot of extra steps that they're doing for something that they don't have details on until their next blog/article.

Sell broken game, ask money for a fix. What's next paid support / patches?
XP boosting was already introduced in Odyssey, I wasn't surprised to see it in Valhalla... just one month after launch, hoping to slide in in with minimal notice...

In Odyssey the boost actually makes the game harder since enemies scale with you so quickly, you never have enough time to upgrade your gear (you cant get enough materials).

When I played at .2x (1/5 XP) the game was absurdly easy. I had infinite mats, upgraded my gear every level. With the XP boost my gear is usually 10-20 levels behind. It helps you clear content gating faster, which I guess is the main reason for using it.

can't speak for valhalla.

In Odyssey the boost actually makes the game harder since enemies scale with you so quickly, you never have enough time to upgrade your gear (you cant get enough materials).

When I played at .2x (1/5 XP) the game was absurdly easy. I had infinite mats, upgraded my gear every level. With the XP boost my gear is usually 10-20 levels behind. It helps you clear content gating faster, which I guess is the main reason for using it.

can't speak for valhalla.
In Valhalla enemies are not that hard, at lvl 250 you can do the level350 quests without much issue, so there is no real need for this.

Seems like something you’d put in at release for streamers to waste money on.

I just started playing this. I am wondering if it might not be to my liking. I will stick with it a bit longer since the other AC games didn't initially seem all that good either.

I just beat the game, collected every mystery, artifact, and wealth, completed every "quest" in the queue, but I'm at 92% completion. What gives? What am I missing? I don't have to go hunt and fish for all those deliveries to get 100% do I?

I just beat the game, collected every mystery, artifact, and wealth, completed every "quest" in the queue, but I'm at 92% completion. What gives? What am I missing? I don't have to go hunt and fish for all those deliveries to get 100% do I?

I really like the game overall but unlike its predecessors I don't see myself OCDing it to 100 for all that.

I really like the game overall but unlike its predecessors I don't see myself OCDing it to 100 for all that.

Yeah, no kidding. I mean 8% is a lot for random stuff like fishing and hunting deliveries. I even have all of the minor gold chests on the map. I feel like there is something I'm missing.

Ditto. I like the game but I’m much more ambivalent towards it than I was Osyssey, or even Origins (what little I’ve played it).

Ditto. I like the game but I’m much more ambivalent towards it than I was Osyssey, or even Origins (what little I’ve played it).

I just purchased Origins as I really enjoy most Egypt environment games. Have to pick up a newer game controller for the pc then I should be all set. Should work well when I eventually purchase Valhalla after it bakes for half a year or so. 😁

Of the three games in this style, Odyssey was the best, then Origins, then Valhalla. It's not that it's a bad game, but it just isn't as memorable as the others. Maybe the DLC will change that?

Of the three games in this style, Odyssey was the best, then Origins, then Valhalla. It's not that it's a bad game, but it just isn't as memorable as the others. Maybe the DLC will change that?
I doubt it. They really screwed up on how forts/whatever are raided/handled. I doubt the river raid update will fix that.

What made Odyssey so entertaining for so long was doing the forts, and the different ways you could go about killing the fort commander.

This game just doesn't have any of that.

I think this game is similar to how people look at FO New Vegas and FO 4. Both are beautiful worlds but the 1st has depth with story and meaningful content and the 2nd is just pretty and shallow with no long lasting substance. It's pretty typical of Ubisoft and Bethesda games now unfortunately. I'm still having some fun with Valhalla but it's shallow fun and could have been so much more. Maybe Ubisoft could do what Bethesda has done and let the mod community add the depth to it's games or let another content developer like Obsidian have a stab at building the content and story for their games.

I haven't touched this since Cyberpunk came out but I seriously appreciate the flexibility in this game's graphic settings. Quick upscale to 4k, quick downscale to 1080p, on-screen diagnostics and a dedicated benchmark tool.

Reactions: Q-BZ
like this
Once I complete Cyberpunk I'm going to bite on Ubi's Plus service and give this a go. Without watching an hour-long video...is this pretty polished right now (compared to the last two AC games), or is it still rough around the edges?

Once I complete Cyberpunk I'm going to bite on Ubi's Plus service and give this a go. Without watching an hour-long video...is this pretty polished right now (compared to the last two AC games), or is it still rough around the edges?

I played through it and didn't have too many issues. It's still a little rough around the edges, but not too distracting. The worst bugs I had were with the Yuletide festival quests. I was able to get every wealth, artifact, and mystery.

Yeah, game has been stable for me, and no serious game breaking bugs. My only real complaint is that the optimization on nvidia cards doesn't seem the best.

Yeah, game has been stable for me, and no serious game breaking bugs. My only real complaint is that the optimization on nvidia cards doesn't seem the best.

I played the bulk of the game between a 3080 and a 3060Ti. I didn't have any issues. With a VRR monitor, I never felt like the graphics card distracted me from the game.

This kind of shit is why I fucking hate Ubisoft games, even if I "like" the game, they always gotta put this shit in it. Watch Dogs Legion I really enjoyed, but it felt like it was constantly pushing microtransaction currency in my face. On a full-priced game they need to just knock off the shit.
I don't mind the micro-transactions at all. The games are two or three hundred hours long so I would expect them to try to make more off of them then a shorter game.

I don't mind the micro-transactions at all. The games are two or three hundred hours long so I would expect them to try to make more off of them then a shorter game.
I think that's a bit of an exaggeration, I think I finished WDL in about 50 or so, if that. I guess you *could* spend more time but I can't imagine spending 200-300 hours in that game.

Back