Assassin's Creed Valhalla

All Ubisoft games have amazing sountracks, so this isn't surprising to anyone who actually plays them.
Everybody else is so caught up with "Ubisoft bad" they don't notice.

I can't think of an Ubisoft game sound track, at least from the past decade, that stands out to me.

I can't think of an Ubisoft game sound track, at least from the past decade, that stands out to me.
Rather than list all of them which would take all day, the fact that Far Cry 5 doesn't immediately come to mind for you, means this is a pointless discussion.
They made 3 different mixes of a radio station from scratch (one for each region) in addition to the rest of the OST. The entire soundtrack is around 100 original music tracks. It's one of the most extensive video game soundtracks of all time.

But like I said it was attached to Far Cry 5 so most people didn't notice, or cared. Or even played the game for that matter.

Rather than list all of them which would take all day, the fact that Far Cry 5 doesn't immediately come to mind for you, means this is a pointless discussion.
They made 3 different mixes of a radio station from scratch (one for each region) in addition to the rest of the OST. The entire soundtrack is around 100 original music tracks. It's one of the most extensive video game soundtracks of all time.

But like I said it was attached to Far Cry 5 so most people didn't notice, or cared. Or even played the game for that matter.

And they get the job done. But they don't standout as being exceptionally well done. The most memorable soundtracks help define the game and set the tone for the game. Amount of tracks doesn't really matter much.

Something like Nier Automata is an example. The sound track is great, but it really stands out and is very memorable. Even a A Plague Tale Requiem had a more impactful sound track than any Ubisoft game I can think of that I have played in the last decade.

Does anyone know the difference between "Gold Edition" and "Complete Edition" of Valhalla now on Steam? (no luck yet on google)

I bought the Gold Edition on U-Play (mid 2021) and enjoyed it a lot! Some of the DLC wasn't completed yet when I played, so there's probably a little content out there now I haven't seen yet.

Now that Valhalla is finally on Steam, and I'm a Steam whore so totally tempted to buy it again, I'm wondering which version to get for the Steam library...

I'll probably get the Complete Edition as it's the highest level, but curious if I'll actually get anything new compared to the Gold Edition already bought in u-play.

U-Play typically breaks down the version differences fairly well, better than Steam at least. So I would check there and then get what you want on Steam.

There are two free small story DLCs, a rogue like mode, some tomb raider like things (worth playing), and I think a second rogue like mode. There are three paid story DLCs.

Complete = Gold + Ragnarok

ACV_MOCKUP_COMPGRID_DIGITAL_16x9_UK.jpg

Last edited:
U-Play typically breaks down the version differences fairly well, better than Steam at least. So I would check there and then get what you want on Steam.

There are two free small story DLCs, a rogue like mode, some tomb raider like things (worth playing), and I think a second rogue like mode. There are three paid story DLCs.

Yeah, I looked at those charts on both Steam & Ubi, but apparently the Gold Edition I bought & played in 2021 doesn't exist any more. I googled it, but couldn't tell what's new in the current Complete Edition. The last time I played (was very close to 100%'ing the game and all DLC around August 2021) they hadn't added all the locations to get that epic/ancient armor set, guessing they finished adding those by now; and Ragnarok expansion is new since then?

Complete = Gold + Ragnarok

View attachment 553752

Thanks - think that's what I wanted to know. Now I just gotta decide if it's worth spending another $49 (current sale price) for my next playthrough of Valhalla...

Yeah, I looked at those charts on both Steam & Ubi, but apparently the Gold Edition I bought & played in 2021 doesn't exist any more. I googled it, but couldn't tell what's new in the current Complete Edition. The last time I played (was very close to 100%'ing the game and all DLC around August 2021) they hadn't added all the locations to get that epic/ancient armor set, guessing they finished adding those by now; and Ragnarok expansion is new since then?

Thanks - think that's what I wanted to know. Now I just gotta decide if it's worth spending another $49 (current sale price) for my next playthrough of Valhalla...
You can buy Ragnarok by itself.

To be fair you got the base game + 2 DLC's which is how they did it for Origins and Odyssey.
Ragnarok in this case is something extra. But I don't know how the quality/amount of content compares to previous games. It's hard to top FoA.

To be fair you got the base game + 2 DLC's which is how they did it for Origins and Odyssey.
Ragnarok in this case is something extra. But I don't know how the quality/amount of content compares to previous games. It's hard to top FoA.

You got 3 DLCs with Odyssey. I didn't play Ragnarok because I refuse to pay more than $5 for it, so I can't tell you how long it compares to Odyssey's DLCs. I'm guessing it was probably similar until the 3rd DLC got too big and they wanted to monetize it further.

If we're talking about the current Assassin's Creed "Layla Trilogy", then I think each game from Origins > Odyssey > Valhalla increased the amount of new DLC/expansion content available. The vast majority of it was free, including Discovery Tours (which became more intricate with each iteration), and all the stuff that actually takes place within the main game proper. Valhalla had the most and most content dense DLC of the three, but as far as the whole "Gold/Ultimate edition gets you everything including the big expansions", Origins and Odyssey basically had 2 true "expansions" , whereas Valhalla has 3 (some may debate more, especially considering the Forgotten Saga ).

I dont think it came down less to an attempt to just characterize another expansion for profiteering but rather that Valhalla was supported for longer and with more content than the other two. This it may have been closer to the "Season Pass 1 / Year 1" "Season Pass 2 / Year 2" sort of thing, where as Ragnarok was the largest expansion during the 2nd phase of content production. Honestly, I was a bit surprised that Forgotten Saga did not also require buying Ragnarok / the Complete Edition (as I am to understand it comes after Ragnarok in a lore sense) , but in any case I couldn't be too upset with options like the sales (especially when arriving on Steam; took too long for them to break the Epic faustian bargain but at least hopefully it will not be an issue for future titles) , legit keysellers, and Ubi+ subscription allowing you to get the complete game at a discounted price. Overall Valhalla was given an immense amount of content and even longer support than other recent AC titles so I don't take issue with there being another pay expansion during the "year 2" phase ; as far as how it stands up content wise to the other expansions I'll need to see as I've been taking a semi-completionist path through these titles and while I recently finished "base" Valhalla, I've yet to move onto the major expansions.

Last edited:

Note that if you buy it on Steam it will supersede the Ubisoft Connect version. At least that is how it was with older games. Meaning you'll no longer be able to launch the game directly from Ubisoft Connect anymore. You'll now have to launch Steam which will launch Ubisoft Connect which will launch the game.

About 20 hours in, encountered a pretty annoying bug where I am permanently stuck in the "cursed area" mode, where it plays the spooky noises and music in the background and never stops.
Even if I load a save from the beginning of the game, the effect persists. Tried repairing, talking to NPCs, triggering cutscenes, dying, deleting the entire settings folder. Everything I could think of to reset the game. I also noticed when other music should play, like in combat, I get silence. Just sound effects. I also tried going to a cursed area and solving it, to see if that would clear it up, but no dice.

Maybe if I clear all the cursed areas in the game? idk.

Will reinstall the game from scratch now. If the bug persists I will likely have to abandon the game, it's borderline unplayable like this. I might be able to completely mute ambient/music sounds and play in silence but that wouldn't be worth it. If I can't find a fix I will seek a refund from Ubisoft.

I did find a similar bug on YouTube but it seems to be a very specific problem.

Edit: Sorry Squirrel that sounds rough, never an into that trouble but check through the Ubi forums, if its a glitch someone will probably post about it somewhere!

Just to mention here for anyone else who had a glitch -

If in Valhalla (main campaign) you go to the Glowcestrecscire area (aka the main storyline bit with the Samhain festivities, and A Tale of Wicker Fire overall storyline - hint, it helps to not be a shit here overall. You're given a chance to save two people who may otherwise act like jerks, but you cannot save the woman if you kill the man so stay your hand and the problem will be solved by his decision anyway) part of the questline will have you go "hoodening as the Mari Lywd" which is one of the fun historical inspirations for "trick of treating". As part of this Eivor will be given a costume that looks like a bulky black cloak and a horse-skull mask. Normally its supposed to go away once you complete that part of the quest (you knock on 2 or 3 doors, say the correct lines and get some widgets) but there is a bug that keeps it on - even after you complete the ENTIRE section. Basically whenever you have your hood down you'll have a black cloak that will obscure whatever you're actually wearing and when you have your hood up, its horse-mask time! Frustrating!

Now, it may be this bug doesn't happen much since they did the major patches with the "finale" content and all but if it happens to you and it stays on after that festival night.. there IS a fix! Just go around to ALL the doors in that part of town find that some of them will probably let you interact! Do so to knock onthe door (with your hood up) and keep doing that until you find all the doors in the village that you can knock - at this point you should lose the costume! Its a bit of a pain especially when they're not visible on the map or anything, but its a way to make sure you don't ahve to play the rest of the game with that damn cape and horsehead mask!

I fixed it by synchronizing a viewpoint, I guess the script from the sync reset whatever the game was doing that caused the bug.
Had to actually re-sync and existing one because I already unlocked them all.

Last edited:
Back