Asrock BFB and i5 10500

Bowman15

[H]ard|Gawd
I'm new to the current Intel work around way of getting most out of my i5 10500 so I have a question about base frequency boost settings. I set the max PL1 wattage the bios allows but have a question about max PL1 duration settings. Mine is adjustable and everywhere I read its set at 56 seconds max but I can increase that substantially. Question is it worth increasing that number? Running a cpu stress test it kept it at the max PL1 of 4200GHz for several minutes so I'm not sure its even necessary as it seems I have good enough cooling?

I'm new to the current Intel work around way of getting most out of my i5 10500 so I have a question about base frequency boost settings. I set the max PL1 wattage the bios allows but have a question about max PL1 duration settings. Mine is adjustable and everywhere I read its set at 56 seconds max but I can increase that substantially. Question is it worth increasing that number? Running a cpu stress test it kept it at the max PL1 of 4200GHz for several minutes so I'm not sure its even necessary as it seems I have good enough cooling?
It depends upon whether or not your motherboard, by default, respects Intel's turbo duration.

If it does, then theoretically, even with the PL1 wattage cranked, it should still clock down after 56 seconds.

turbo for a 10500 isn't based on cooling (as long as you are under 100c). its based on power and the amount of time its allowed to turbo.

If your motherboard has BSB enabled by default, then you won't see it clock down after the standard 56 seconds. However, its BSB setting may not be "unlimited". You may want to validate its behavior by running Cinibench multicore for 10 minutes, or something.

or if you want truly unlimited, just max out the duration and set the PL1/PL2 power levels to whatever makes you comfortable.

Thanks for the reply. Testing with Cinibench shows Asrock BFB already ignores the PL1 time so it will basically run forever at 4.2 GHz....

Back