ASA 5505 RAM upgrade recommend?

tangoseal

[H]F Junkie
I am looking to slap 512 in my ASA 5505 Sec Plus. But I DO NOT want to pay Cisco tax on ram.

Any of you Ciscoheads out there like me have any recommendations for a very compatible stick of 512 ram for this thing.

Thanks!

I only recommend Cisco memory. But, that's how I role. I have read depending on the memory, you could brick the unit.

I just did this exact same thing. You need to check what version you have. DSLReports has a thread on this topic of verified RAM working in which Version. I have a version 5 and I upgraded mine to 1 GB. I used a 1 GB DDR 333 5-5-5 stick of RAM.

You can also check out this guy on eBay.

http://stores.ebay.ca/EveryMemoryUpgrade/_i.html?_nkw=cisco+asa&submit=Search&_sid=146830813

I also had luck with a Kingston 1 GB DDR 400 - KVR400X64C3A/1G.

If you get the ASA to boot with new RAM in it, make sure to use the reload command about ~ a dozen times. Some RAM will let it cold boot, but if oyu issue the reload command, it'll go into an endless POST loop. Also, let it sit for a few days. I had an issue with mine and it rebooted every couple of hours. It ended up being the ASA, but YMMV. Good luck.

Hrmm almost worth juist shelling out for official ram. Which is expected with a custom motherboard in this thing.

I have tried lots of different sticks even using the guide posted above. I never got any of them to work.

I usually get Cisco memory from memoryx.net. You can search by specific devices on there. I've never had issues with any of the memory from them and I've upgraded many different cisco devices, including different models of ASAs, with no issues at all.

Might at least give them a look. They also sell Cisco "branded" memory, which is usually just kingston or hynix ram with a Cisco sticker on it anyway no matter where you get it.

They are pretty picky about what RAM you put in them. We had a bag of probably ~ 50 sticks of 1 GB and 512 MB and I tried a lot of them before I found one that worked properly after reload commands and everything.

Maybe I was just lucky, but this 512MB in my ASA 5505 was a pull from an old PC. Never had a problem with it.

I usually get Cisco memory from memoryx.net. You can search by specific devices on there. I've never had issues with any of the memory from them and I've upgraded many different cisco devices, including different models of ASAs, with no issues at all.

Might at least give them a look. They also sell Cisco "branded" memory, which is usually just kingston or hynix ram with a Cisco sticker on it anyway no matter where you get it.

Thanks and then you get slammed with the Cisco Tax...

Back