Arg! I think i officially found the worst WU ever!

sirmonkey1985

[H]ard|DCer of the Month - July 2010
god damn this A3 P6041 WU SUCKS!!!!! 19:23 TPF 13 friggin hours left and its been going for 22 hours!! its worth 7104 points including the bonus which sounds awesome except the fact that im losing 3000 points if you count my PPD..

yeah i know this is worthless to post but i seriously needed to let off some steam because this things irritating as all heck since i need to run a cpu intensive program and if i do i dont think ill finish this WU by the deadline..

I know I had said this a few times before ...6040 / 6041 are mid sized units.

These units get more PPD then smaller units if your CPU is a Core i5 / i7 and runs faster then the benchmark.

These units get less PPD then smaller units if your CPU is a Core 2 Duo / Quad because it is slower then the benchmark.

Benchmark machine is a Core i5-750 (2.66Ghz) with Turbo Mode off & No Hyper-Threading.

Core i5 / i7 does more work per clock cycle then the older Core 2 based systems.

These units get more PPD then smaller units if your CPU is a Core i5 / i7 and runs faster then the benchmark.
No it doesn't. Even for my 920 it's slower than other WUs.

Last edited by a moderator:
im running a phenom II 940 @ 3.6ghz.. this is by far the worst WU ive seen so far..

P6041
Code:
 Project ID: 6041
 Core: GRO-A3
 Credit: 1395
 Frames: 100

Name: SMP
 Path: C:\Program Files\Folding@Home Windows SMP Client V1.01\
 Number of Frames Observed: 62

Min. Time / Frame : 00:19:00 - 5,601.7 PPD
 Avg. Time / Frame : 00:21:25 - 4,680.9 PPD
 Cur. Time / Frame : 00:26:45 - 3,670.3 PPD
 R3F. Time / Frame : 00:23:15 - 4,222.8 PPD
 All  Time / Frame : 00:21:25 - 4,584.3 PPD
 Eff. Time / Frame : 00:21:45 - 4,514.1 PPD
ive only been running the SMP client for 2 weeks now i think and have done 17 WU's.. so im sure ill find even worse ones..

Last edited:
No it doesn't. Even for my 920 it's slower than other WUs.
I went back and revieved all my data on these units from my systems and I show the exact opposite. 6041 was the best performing unit (vs 6040) and got me the most PPD of any unit so far released for A3

I know I had said this a few times before ...6040 / 6041 are mid sized units.

These units get less PPD then smaller units if your CPU is a Core 2 Duo / Quad because it is slower then the benchmark.

Benchmark machine is a Core i5-750 (2.66Ghz) with Turbo Mode off & No Hyper-Threading.

Core i5 / i7 does more work per clock cycle then the older Core 2 based systems.

Just out of curiosity, what are the regular A3 workunits benchmarked on? The reason I ask is because I can pull up to 8k PPD on regular A3 work units on two or three of my Q6600s whereas the best I've seen on the 6040s and 6041s is 6400PPD. I just sent back a 6041 a couple hours ago on my main system and I think it finished at 6200PPD and I hadn't done hardly anything with my system while it was processing. I currently have a 6040 on the same system which hasn't been used for anything since starting it and it's showing 6400PPD.

im running a phenom II 940 @ 3.6ghz.. this is by far the worst WU ive seen.. even the 6040 WU while yes has lower PPD takes at most 10-11 hours to run.. this is the longest and slowest WU ive run so far..
I think I had a P6040 on my Opteron system a while back, and it processed at over the 20 minute mark IIRC, but it's only running @2.8GHz. Unfortunately, AMD is just poor performing relatively speaking. :(

I think I had a P6040 on my Opteron system a while back, and it processed at over the 20 minute mark IIRC, but it's only running @2.8GHz. Unfortunately, AMD is just poor performing relatively speaking. :(

its not all that bad.. i mean shit half the time its faster then my GTX 260.. the smp clients doing anywhere from 5800-6900 PPD.. lately my GTX 260 has been stuck on these slow WU's in an endless cycle getting about 6500 PPD..

ha, I remember I got this for my 10th WU before the bonus, quite aggravating, but oh well for the [H]orde!

fyi I was getting 10min TPF on my 920

lol i just noticed right now before going to bed.. my credits for the WU keep going up but my PPD keeps going down.. was at 5800PPD with 6600 points for the WU when i started this thread.. now im down to 4792.3 PPD but 6917 points for the WU with 8 hours 39 minutes to go.. seriously.. WTF!

everything i have seen in my testing so far is that the midsize WU's get more PPD than the smaller ones, with some exceptions which can be attributed to other CPU use.

A couple of items to keep in the back of your mind.

1) If your CPU is not faster or equal to the benchmark system (i5-750, no turbo, no HT) then you will see a drop in PPD due to bonus.
2) The benchmark system is not doing anything else. ie No desktop use, internet browsing, GPU folding, etc.
3) A3 WUs are very sensitive to other CPU usage, this becomes especially apparent on larger more complicated WU's. This mean just internet browsing will cost you a lot of D, if you are running GPU's really doing anything is going to cause noticeable drops in PPD because of the exponential nature of the bonus system.

I see about a 2k PPD drop on my desktop (Dual E5530's) when i am just browsing the internet or fire up a VM to test something.

The dual E5506 machine I have running, gets about 1-1.5k ppd less running either of them. My desktop takes a bigger hit, but then I'm using that throughout the day while the other machine just folds.

I'm working the 6040 WU right now and it's at 27 mins 12 sec's TPF on a Phenom II x4 810. Ouch.

Wait till you guys try to upload those 6040/6041 work units as they come in at almost 66 megs. The 6041 WU was the very first WU that my i7 folding rig ever worked on. I believe it turned in almost 10000 points on it, but took literally forever. That said, I guess that is why the bonus deadline for those two are supposedly 6 days instead of 3. I got a 6040 on my gaming rig once while I was still folding on it, and remembered it taking forever. I still fold with my laptop once in a while and hope that it never gets one of those........

of course i finally finish the WU and what do you know.. it cant connect to either server to send the WU..

aahhh yes it finally sent it.. the hell is over.. back to the faster WU's!!!

Lost that 6040 WU.
[08:09:36] Folding@home Core Shutdown: UNSTABLE_MACHINE
Never had that before, strange.

Of course, I am running everything at stock clocks.
No doubt it's probably do to the OC because the temperatures have increased the past few days weather-wise. Stock frequencies for my systems would be too low, and hardly worth running because of their age. I'll just have to improve the cooling setup. Sometimes a small thing like a fan not performing as well as it once did could drastically affect stability. I'm hoping it's something small like that.

Nope stock clocks. It barfed on that 6040 twice, but got a different one done overnight.

Nope stock clocks. It barfed on that 6040 twice, but got a different one done overnight.

That is pretty wierd as i've done a few 6040/6041's without a problem. Do you post over at the Stanford forums? Perhaps you should post under the section titled problem with a specific wu. You can get there from http://folding.stanford.edu

I havn't been folding for too long, but I don't recall hearing anyone having that problem with stock clocks.

I've never had an A3 unit EUE on me...

either have i.. hell the SMP client running A3 WU's has been the most stable client ive ever used.. hell its more stable the gpu client.. id almost put it on par with the boinc client stability wise.. ive completed 23 SMP a3 WU's so far with absolutely 0 errors.. during those 23 SMP a3 WU's ive had 7 gpu WU's EUE...

after searching the forums, I think I just got a bad unit. I've completed 4 other units since with no issue, so I guess no reason to worry.

Back