Are traditional HDDs still the preferred storage drive vs SSD?

Not at all ? It is at least a little bit different.

If a friend/family member is currently streaming a movie from your collection and you reboot your computer the stream will be lost (or any data scenario you can imagine), your download box will have to wait and so on, it seem obviously different. If you upgrade your computer and its down, other people and you still has access to the data and when you upgrade your computer it is one less thing to plug in.

Has for network speed, simple gigabit network is not that much slower than non raid HDD and very often fast enough for the type of data you want. If you have 4K video and other serious workload of the size that the backup or getting back when needed at 115 megabytes by second is an issue, you probably want to have 2 different location backup anyway.

If you never shared data to multiple (unpredictable) users/machine, never wanted always available data on the network/Internet, yes obviously, but the person you responded too clearly stated primary machine, implying there is other user of the data.
A lot of words for someone who apparently isn't reading my posts in this thread. Who said a gigabit connection was available? Literally every recent post of mine is regarding the lack of/difficulty implementing.

A lot of words for someone who apparently isn't reading my posts in this thread. Who said a gigabit connection was available? Literally every recent post of mine is regarding the lack of/difficulty implementing.

That a different subject of the answer I was answering, you asked what was the point to have a NAS next to the main machine using it (all the speed issue for the other machine are the same, but in that scenario it is not an issue or difficult to have a gigabit connection)

And it is not like above 4k netflix speed Wifi is uncommon or that difficult, for a lot of things 40-50mbits will do. If people (TV, laptop, phone) use WiFi, that mean that could potentially use a NAS for music's, videos, text/excel files anything dropbox or cloud speed, that seem trivial.

Exactly. It's not easy.

Curious though, what's the advantage of a NAS that has to be literally beside the machine using it, vs putting 4 data drives in the system?
Exactamento. But I am still rocking a Corsair 800D, 4 hot-swap drives, 2 more internal drive bays, plus 2 extra 5 1/4" bays, which can also hold a 3.5" drive with adapter mount.

Reactions: travm
like this
That a different subject of the answer I was answering, you asked what was the point to have a NAS next to the main machine using it (all the speed issue for the other machine are the same, but in that scenario it is not an issue or difficult to have a gigabit connection)

Ok, nice, you're just making shit up. And yes many cases it's very difficult to have a gigabit connection.

And it is not like above 4k netflix speed Wifi is uncommon or that difficult, for a lot of things 40-50mbits will do. If people (TV, laptop, phone) use WiFi, that mean that could potentially use a NAS for music's, videos, text/excel files anything dropbox or cloud speed, that seem trivial.
40-50mbps wifi is pretty close to ideal conditions. Usually it's closer to 10, and easily saturated.

At this point I'm out. You're either not reading, or incapable of understanding my posts.

Ok, nice, you're just making shit up. And yes many cases it's very difficult to have a gigabit connection.
Not between a nas and a pc that are next to each other, the question I was answering to was:
what's the advantage of a NAS that has to be literally beside the machine using it, vs putting 4 data drives in the system?

At this point I'm out. You're either not reading, or incapable of understanding my posts.
I was answering someone (I think you) question that was:
Curious though, what's the advantage of a NAS that has to be literally beside the machine using it, vs putting 4 data drives in the system?

All the speed issue for the other device are exactly the same for the 4 data drive in the system, the big advantage (to answer the question) is being always on, I am not sure what you do not agree or understand with.

If you find no value to the always on feature (i.e. there is no other machine using the data than the main computer or it is always you and you do not mind having it on to access it).

Usually it's closer to 10, and easily saturated.
Considering Netflix and other streaming service popularity, I would imagine that it is really frequent for people to have at least one device in their house, outside a main computer having access to higher bandwidth than that and people that does not have more than a single device over 10mbits are probably not the one collecting giant amount of many terabyte of data unmanageable with SSDs and not much relevant to the conversation no ?

Lots of people are stuck with 15mbps wifi..... on a good day. Networking is not easy, unless you live in a warehouse.
Huh?
That's not different at all. Except more expensive. And poor performance due to slow network speeds.
Huh?
The realities of wifi and Powerline, and the difficulty running cat6 in a residence. Read the thread man.
Huh? Orbi. Or pick a good WiFi mesh with backhaul. We fixed that in... 2014? Plus wired links for main stuff - keep those close to one of the satellites.

Room 1 - Core Router and modem
Room 2 - Gaming systems, servers, NAS
Room 3 - guest rooms, office.
Room 4 - Garage.

Each room is wired to the local satellite, they all use backhaul WiFi connections. I'm easily doing 500mbs across the satellites, and each room is 1G to anything directly wired or whatever WiFi speed they have since they're just talking to the local satellite.

Anyone can configure an Orbi system. It's a bloody physical button you push.

Local systems are all 10G to the NAS/server, and anything else in teh house can access them over 500mbs backhaul. It'd be faster, but I haven't gotten around to upgrading to the latest Orbi setup yet (because why bother - it's fast enough for anything I'm doing). It took... 30 minutes to configure? Total?

Edit: And with backhaul, there's no physical wires between rooms, and we're not doing powerline. IT's separate antennas. You're right that PL SUCKS. Badly.

Exactly. It's not easy.

Yeah. My home office/wife's home office/study is packed with systems, a UPS, desks and filing cabinets, plus a wall unit. Literally no more space for things like a NAS. To run CAT 6 I would have to break drywall in two places, fish the cable through, and then patch the walls and repaint. That's a lot of time and effort, to gain ?% improved throughputs.

Yeah. My home office/wife's home office/study is packed with systems, a UPS, desks and filing cabinets, plus a wall unit. Literally no more space for things like a NAS. To run CAT 6 I would have to break drywall in two places, fish the cable through, and then patch the walls and repaint. That's a lot of time and effort, to gain ?% improved throughputs.
improvement would likely be 1000% or more. But yes, smashing drywall and fishing wire is not easy.

improvement would likely be 1000% or more. But yes, smashing drywall and fishing wire is not easy.
Having done that before, I am very reluctant to do that again. In my case, I would have to run the cable between the two floors of my house. I once called a building contractor, and I forget the exact price, but it was several thousand dollars.

Reactions: travm
like this
Having done that before, I am very reluctant to do that again. In my case, I would have to run the cable between the two floors of my house. I once called a building contractor, and I forget the exact price, but it was several thousand dollars.
This is why I do mesh. Each room is wired locally, if it needs it, and then the backhaul handles getting it to other rooms. Anything that needs speed tends to be wired in locally to each satellite, which then uplink to the others. And that's really a 5 minute setup.

Back