Are there Any Good Laptops These Days?

I didn't end up buying anything.
However my main consideration with laptops now is thermal management. I'm really annoyed by laptops advertising these new chips but actually their thermal management is too poor to support them.
I got an MSI laptop with a 13700k and a 4070 and I've never been unhappy with the temperature. Whenever I load a game the laptop goes into jet engine mode, however. So if noise is an issue, it isn't for you. Otherwise, temps are great after hours of gaming.

Framework is the best candidate.

If you use Linux then system76 seems to have sane options (regranded Sagers).

I dunno whether the current Thinkpad X1 Carbon with 13th gen Intel sucks, but previous models did not except for soldered on RAM.

I'd just like to get a laptop with a really good display and a really good keyboard. I won't be using it for work, games, or productivity, only as a casual secondary backup to my desktop, mostly note taking and writing. CPU power doesn't matter that much. 14"- 16" (preferably 16:10).

I find it difficult to find something with a really good screen AND a really good keyboard.

I'd just like to get a laptop with a really good display and a really good keyboard. I won't be using it for work, games, or productivity, only as a casual secondary backup to my desktop, mostly note taking and writing. CPU power doesn't matter that much. 14"- 16" (preferably 16:10).

I find it difficult to find something with a really good screen AND a really good keyboard.

Thinkpad X220 LOL

https://okigiveup.net/blog/why-thinkpad-x220-is-the-best-laptop-ever-made/

I didn't end up buying anything.
However my main consideration with laptops now is thermal management. I'm really annoyed by laptops advertising these new chips but actually their thermal management is too poor to support them.
Me too. I've been looking for a laptop for months, literally.

I got an MSI laptop with a 13700k and a 4070 and I've never been unhappy with the temperature. Whenever I load a game the laptop goes into jet engine mode, however. So if noise is an issue, it isn't for you. Otherwise, temps are great after hours of gaming.
The only reason I have not grabbed a 470 laptop is because I am definitely terrified of the 8 GB of GPU memory. It is only 8 GB correct? They are priced the best but I'm so worried that the 8 GB of memory is going to make my game stutter at high frame rate. What does your performance look like what games and what settings are you running on the 8 GB 4070?

The only reason I have not grabbed a 470 laptop is because I am definitely terrified of the 8 GB of GPU memory. It is only 8 GB correct? They are priced the best but I'm so worried that the 8 GB of memory is going to make my game stutter at high frame rate. What does your performance look like what games and what settings are you running on the 8 GB 4070?
I'll preface this with: I don't really play taxing games. I do play fortnite which uses unreal 5 engine and I do run it with ray tracing on. I get about 250fps and occasionally creep upwards of 400fps without any noticeable stuttering, but then again this laptop is only 1080p @ 144hz.

Otherwise I use it to watch movies. The goal was to replace an old laptop with a funky screen and integrated graphics with something that I "could" use more effectively that was future proof.

I don't know if I can accurately answers your questions. It's hot and loud but plays games well, from what I've tried.

Back