Are there any advancements in 4K gaming monitors on the horizon?

Jumpem

[H]ard|Gawd
I keep waiting for a worthy monitor before building a new PC. I am looking for something with G-Sync and not IPS. I have an IPS G-Sync monitor now and don't like the panel at all compared to VA or OLED.

It seems that all of the picture quality improvements are happening in the TV market and little of that is making its way to gaming monitors. Perhaps, something quantum dot/QLED with a VA panel is what I am looking for. I have an OLED TV but the anxiety about burn in isn't something I need more of using one as a PC monitor. Though I would be interested if LG came out with one closer to 38".

HDMI 2.1 and some 32" high refresh rate models are coming next year. That’s about it.

I keep waiting for a worthy monitor before building a new PC. I am looking for something with G-Sync and not IPS. I have an IPS G-Sync monitor now and don't like the panel at all compared to VA or OLED.

It seems that all of the picture quality improvements are happening in the TV market and little of that is making its way to gaming monitors. Perhaps, something quantum dot/QLED with a VA panel is what I am looking for. I have an OLED TV but the anxiety about burn in isn't something I need more of using one as a PC monitor. Though I would be interested if LG came out with one closer to 38".
CES2021 in January will tell.

CES2021 in January will tell.
Snort - the fast 32" 4k IPS's were debuted it CES 2020 and they're still not for sale. Q1 2021 is purported availability, but no pricing (expect astronomical) and no real roadmap.

Jumpem I've been tracking these for a while, and atm they're vaporware. Think 'hopes up, dreams dashed' type of thing.

That said, industry wonks predict the consoles being able to push 4k reliably and having the ability to exceed (maybe) 4k 60hz should 'invite' panel makers to offer monitors (cough, not TVs) in 'the future'.

See this thread for more info: The 32 inch 4k IPS 144hz's... I know of 3. Any others I should be keeping an eye out for? | [H]ard|Forum

Last edited:
Unfortunately, we're going to need another jump in display bandwidth tech before we can move on to even higher refresh monitors. HDMI 2.1 and DisplayPort 1.4 are already tapped out at 4K120.

Snort - the fast 32" 4k IPS's were debuted it CES 2020 and they're still not for sale. Q1 2021 is purported availability, but no pricing (expect astronomical) and no real roadmap.
Pretty much yes. The monitors shown in CES2020 got delayed due covid. CES2021 will have covid in consideration when announcing upcoming monitors and release dates. The expensive 32" monitors with 1152 zones will (should) come out in the beginning of the 2021. And those are the only interesting monitors so far with hardware gsync, unless more 38" options will be presented during CES2021. (gl950 has noisy fan and vignetting, x38 is flawed with dark spots, the Alienware is wide gamut...). I'm pretty much stuck with my 4k 60hz oled from 2017.... And I don't want a gync-compatible monitor.

Unfortunately, we're going to need another jump in display bandwidth tech before we can move on to even higher refresh monitors. HDMI 2.1 and DisplayPort 1.4 are already tapped out at 4K120.
By 'tapped out' you mean in theoretical performance limitations. 4k 120hz monitors are hardly anywhere to be found in the wild.

Not so for either. HDMI 2.1 allows for up to 8K 60 Hz and even 8K 120 Hz would be possible if Display Stream Compression is used. With DSC 4K 144 Hz or higher is possible. This is with 8-bit color though so for 10-bit there will be more limitations. DP 2.0 is also coming up in a few years and that will again raise the bandwidth limits.

But I do expect we will eventually see HDMI 2.1 monitors that support 4K 144 Hz at least.

Right now there isn't much need to go higher when even the top tier GPUs can't exact run most games at super high framerates.

Right now there isn't much need to go higher when even the top tier GPUs can't exact run most games at super high framerates.
4k Control at 30 fps with RT sounds about right. RedDead2 at 75. AC:V 55. Old games like The Witcher III still sub 100 at 4k.

So, yeah, no need for new cabling. Would be nice to see 4k IPS monitors capable of VRR above 120hz - but they likely aren't 'needed' until the next generation of cards.

Wanted? Oh hell yeah. Available? !on lleh hO

120 FPS is more than enough. I just want something with picture quality on par with a living room television.

Back