Are all software platforms going to cloud?

jkunst

n00b
Hello my friends! I am wondering if you think all digital platforms are migrating to the cloud? LiveVox just migrated to Amazon AWS and it got me thinking, are all platforms going to end up on a cloud infrastructure one day? Is there any advantage to NOT MIGRATING?

I would agree most will go to the cloud because companies want to employ fewer people and own less capital. It allows companies to serve global content whilst owning less.

Cloud providers cost a shit ton of money. One of my prior employers was on Azure for 3 months and got over a 30 million dollar bill.

These services run on a meter. You're going to pay through the nose for large installations.

That being said, after working at 3 companies that had their own servers, Match.com, AIG and now a startup named Neurothink when you own your own gear, you pay for it, and that's it. Use it how you please. It's like owning your car versus leasing it. It's easy to have a Lambo for the night to look like a baller when you rent one. But owning versus borrowing is a whole different level of ballerness.

No different for servers. There's a reason Facebook has a gazillion servers instead of using a cloud provider. There's a reason Amazon has their own delivery fleet, drivers, and planes. If you can manage it effectively, doing it yourself is better.

Facebook has a gazillion servers cause they're facebook, in addition to being on the cloud, they're one of Amazon's biggest customers.

Also, as per usual this car analogy is flawed as well. Owning vs leasing a car is nothing like owning servers/datacenters vs using a cloud service. With the cars, in either choice, all you have in the end is a car. With cloud services, you get a lot more than just servers, you get the security and support that's you'd have to provide yourself. People don't usually consider that on here but huge amounts of resources are spent on just keeping servers up, fast and secure that cloud services are generally responsible for right of out of box.

For a better comparison, you would have to add on that when leasing, you get 24/7 security for any threats, physical or digital, an on call mechanic that performs expected maintenance regularly and automatically, a dealership that can give you a car anywhere in the world ... The list goes on

Cloud also isn't "just servers". Things like AKS/EKS, load balancers, container registries, DB instances, analytics, identity management, and on and on and on. That's not even touching on the topics for things like speed of delivery of things (how long are YOUR lead times for switches right now?) as well.
Folks that just use compute and storage, and very often vastly over sized for their needs are, end up spending more than they can/should. Mostly that stems from ignorance and incompetency.

The future is cloud-only services and subscript-based licensing. This probably lets them charge you a large sum of money without breaking down what you're actually buying.

Back