Aquacomputer Leakshield

Riddlinkidstoner

Supreme [H]ardness

This is a pretty neat design. One of my concerns around watercooling is the ability to monitor and react to any leaks or pump failures which is why I purchased an Aquacomputer Octo + Alarm cable however this seems to go further by ensuring that water never reaches the system in the first place. According to the FAQ it can run off USB power even with the system shut off (assuming you still have power to begin with).

https://forum.aquacomputer.de/weite...he-safest-liquid-cooling-system-in-the-world/

I went ahead and ordered a Utilitube 100m + Leakshield to replace my barely used XD5 Corsair Pump at an eye watering 333 EUR shipped (with the PCI fill port).

So, first off, I'll say that while I have and leaks (degraded rotating bend seals, and degraded fitting o-ring) I've always caught them quickly, and they have never really been a problem as I use fresh fluid which is nonconductive, and a routing and component placement that results in any potential leaks mostly falling in harmless places.

That being said, extra safety never hurts. That price though...

What I don't quite understand is how things thing works. It seems a little bit like black magic.

...and that's to someone who took fluid dynamics in college.

Edit:

Never mind. They just pull a vacuum. Makes sense.

I wonder if this works with soft tubing or if it will just occlude it.

Fortunately the only leaks I've had were self-induced and caught quickly (over-tightening a fitting on an Aquastream pump), though I do have a few ancient fittings with internal o-ring seals which must be 15+ years old now--certainly the service limit of many typical o-ring materials. Very cool design, nice to see this sort of useful innovation.

Good question! (Imagines my tubes sucked flat when the device kicks on... :D)

So, first off, I'll say that while I have and leaks (degraded rotating bend seals, and degraded fitting o-ring) I've always caught them quickly, and they have never really been a problem as I use fresh fluid which is nonconductive, and a routing and component placement that results in any potential leaks mostly falling in harmless places.

That being said, extra safety never hurts. That price though...

What I don't quite understand is how things thing works. It seems a little bit like black magic.

...and that's to someone who took fluid dynamics in college.

Edit:

Never mind. They just pull a vacuum. Makes sense.

I'm using soft tubing so I'll find out. Supposedly it should work though hard tubing is recommended.

@1:26 is soft tubing. its fairly thick walled, so if yours is, it should be good.

I would imagine ZMT like tubing would be fine. Damn thing is pretty crazy.

@1:26 is soft tubing. its fairly thick walled, so if yours is, it should be good.

So apparently the recommended specs are to use soft tubing with an OD at least 1.5x the ID.

Unfortunately this seems to preclude the most common soft tubing size, 3/8" ID, 1/2" OD...

So apparently the recommended specs are to use soft tubing with an OD at least 1.5x the ID.

Unfortunately this seems to preclude the most common soft tubing size, 3/8" ID, 1/2" OD...
where you seeing that? also, them just saying 3mm wall thickness would be easier, i dont want to try and do the math in imperial...

where you seeing that? also, them just saying 3mm wall thickness would be easier, i dont want to try and do the math in imperial...

I've never seen soft tube sold in anything other than imperial measurements?

The word from shoggy (an aquacomputer guy) on Reddit was OD = 1.5X ID.

Not that difficult to do the math. Just use a calculator and go decimal :p

I've never seen soft tube sold in anything other than imperial measurements?

The word from shoggy (an aquacomputer guy) on Reddit was OD = 1.5X ID.

Not that difficult to do the math. Just use a calculator and go decimal :p

I tend to think of common soft tube sizing as follows:

3/8" ID 1/2" OD (1.33x)
3/8" ID 5/8" OD (1.67x)
1/2" ID 3/4" OD (1.5x)

I'm interested in this device, the question is if I really want to buy all new compression fittings and tubing (I use a lot of fittings) and if I do, if I just want to give hard tube a try...

Damn very cool but the price turns me off. I've been water cooling for 15+ years and have never had a system leak. Started off with soft tubing and currently using hard tubing.

This is what I'm using. 3/8" ID, 1/2" OD. I don't have a ton of fittings but I'm not sure I want to go a different tube size either.

🤔

EDIT: Looking into it the cost seems minimal for me to move to 3/8" ID 5/8" OD. I just need 10 new barrow fittings and I can use my existing barrow 90 degree adapters. So an extra $40 for fittings and tubing doesn't seem terrible.

Last edited:
OK that is pretty cool, but what about those of us that are using the multiport tops with an inlet from the top. Kind of SOL it seems like.

OK that is pretty cool, but what about those of us that are using the multiport tops with an inlet from the top. Kind of SOL it seems like.
theres a universal version that connects to res tops via tube. so if you have an extra port...

theres a universal version that connects to res tops via tube. so if you have an extra port...

I have an ultitube, one port is the fill port with a plug and the other I am using as the inlet from the radiator. The inlet at the pump on the bottom i have a drain valve connected to. I could use the fill port and connect it with the universal kit, but it would look much better just connected to the top. I should just rearrange it. Seems like a cool piece to add to a system, might be wroth.

Ordered one. 60 day wait time from the EU and 59 EUR shipping to the US. Hope it's worth the wait!

I checked their forums because I can't watch the video. What's the $$$ on this? Everyone references "price" but doesn't state what it costs.

I checked their forums because I can't watch the video. What's the $$$ on this? Everyone references "price" but doesn't state what it costs.
It is priced $120 from the Linus video. It is need but not worth the cost. I never had a leak occur on any of my systems other then a tiny drip on first boot up. Just needed a little more tightening and good to go.

It is priced $120 from the Linus video. It is need but not worth the cost. I never had a leak occur on any of my systems other then a tiny drip on first boot up. Just needed a little more tightening and good to go.
I've only experienced 1 instance of having a leak amounting to more than a drop or two coming out of a fitting not "quite" tight enough. During testing of the loop for this build I bumped a tube run without realizing it, and it was not sealed well at all so when I initially leak tested the loop, it didn't go quite as planned...Nothing was harmed as I was testing only the loop and pump without having anything in the case powered up.

But...I must get this item, especially so, because I leave my system on and unattended for days at a time. Having a safety mechanism in place which can power off the system in my absence IF/When a leak is detected gives me a warm and fuzzy feeling. I'll gladly pay that cost for the peace of mind it offers.

That said, it won't fit my current setup because there isn't enough space between the top of my Reservoir lid (with the leak shield installed) and the shroud of my "normally" oriented (horizontally-mounted) AsRock 6900XT OC Formula video card.

There are, however, 2 ways to get around that issue...

1 -- Replace my Phanteks Enthoo Pro 2 case with a Corsair 7000D Air Flow case which is large enough to install the pump (with Leak Shield) without it interfering with the video card.

2 -- Replace the AsRock 6900XT OC Formula video card with a Powercolor Liquid Devil 6900XT

So...I think I'll just do both, LOL.

EDITED TO ADD: My butt hurts now when I poop.
OUCHYOUCH.jpg

Last edited:
Notes on the aquasuite software:
When you activate this product you will receive the current version of the aquasuite software including an upgrade service for at least eighteen (18) months. After expiration of the upgrade service you may use and reinstall the latest version available during the upgrade period without a time limit.
The update service can optionally be extended or renewed at any time for a fee.
Please note that an internet connection is required for the installation and activation of the aquasuite software.
Further information about the update service and the activation of the aquasuite software can be found here.
Nope, not interested :/
I'll stick to Aquacomputer's manual leak pressure tester for now.

Last edited:
would this thing be a fool proof way to start a loop? would i need this and say a heatkiller rez/pump im specing out 2 480 rads and a single 420 rad for top.

would this thing be a fool proof way to start a loop? would i need this and say a heatkiller rez/pump im specing out 2 480 rads and a single 420 rad for top.
that is one of its functions. you can even get a fill tube. if you want to use it with another brand res, youll need the stand alone version.

I don't have a custom loop cause water that close to my hardware has always terrified me* - but this thing is really fucking cool and sounds like a good insurance investment if your hardware is getting truly out there in cost.

*Much less no now that I have more experience, especially all that aquarium experience.

When you activate this product you will receive the current version of the aquasuite software including an upgrade service for at least eighteen (18) months. After expiration of the upgrade service you may use and reinstall the latest version available during the upgrade period without a time limit.
The update service can optionally be extended or renewed at any time for a fee.
Please note that an internet connection is required for the installation and activation of the aquasuite software.
Further information about the update service and the activation of the aquasuite software can be found here.
OK, that's bullshit though.

hrm didnt read that bit that is BS so you dont pay you get leaks eventually lol software will say this cheap bast hasnt paid stop providing anti leak protection functions right now!.

This is pretty cool. I imagine that the vacuum would also help get rid of any air bubbles in your system.

hrm didnt read that bit that is BS so you dont pay you get leaks eventually lol software will say this cheap bast hasnt paid stop providing anti leak protection functions right now!.

Ha that'd be funny. Actually you only need to install and activate it with AquaSuite once and then it will work independantly if you choose not to use it going forward. If you decide to not pay then you can continue to use the software based on the last update. It's a small price to pay to continue to get nice features.

Personally I think AquaSuite is amazing and I'm using the Octo fan controller.

If I can have this as my res/pump with these features it is not terrible considering it'll bleed air outs loop keep leaks from happening and is newer tech in this space finally some innovation. I'll have to give this a try if I stick with this rig or move to a TR chogal 16-24 core should be good but see how it review's.

I've got one on order to play around with. Hopefully it ships sooner than 6-7 weeks that I've been quoted.

I ordered on 6/15 and still haven't received it but I see some people have started receiving it on the Aquacomputer forums.
Nice. Yeah I'm going to have an interesting set-up since I run 2-3 pumps (MORA with a dual pump top, then with the addition of the ultitube+d5 next combo since I didn't/couldn't think of a way to cleanly integrate the standalone) to make sure that my pumps adjust accordingly to not go over the pressure max.

I finally received my Leakshield + Ultitube D5 combo along with new 16/10 fittings and tubing. Since I was there I went ahead and added a drain that I forgot to do the first time (which made draining a real PITA) as well as a veritcal GPU mount because why not.

I did also get the 'fill port' from Aquacomputer which was a bit troublesome to use but it did work with some effort. It was neat to be able to fill the system without having to pour anything in.

It immediately detected a leak during leak testing and I saw the Leakshield in action pulling in vacuum so I could identify the source. After that and another test I was good to go without needing to lay down papertowels! Alarm was a little unnerving though.

1630280169144.png

A couple of new screens for the Leakshield and D5 Next in Aquasuite which allows for full control and monitoring. Fill level seems off but I haven't looked too much into it yet.

1630280295888.png

I finally received my Leakshield + Ultitube D5 combo along with new 16/10 fittings and tubing. Since I was there I went ahead and added a drain that I forgot to do the first time (which made draining a real PITA) as well as a veritcal GPU mount because why not.

I did also get the 'fill port' from Aquacomputer which was a bit troublesome to use but it did work with some effort. It was neat to be able to fill the system without having to pour anything in.

It immediately detected a leak during leak testing and I saw the Leakshield in action pulling in vacuum so I could identify the source. After that and another test I was good to go without needing to lay down papertowels! Alarm was a little unnerving though.

View attachment 390019

A couple of new screens for the Leakshield and D5 Next in Aquasuite which allows for full control and monitoring. Fill level seems off but I haven't looked too much into it yet.

View attachment 390020
That’s a sweet setup! Are you planning in the future to upgrade to custom angle hard tubing? I know it’s a pain to do but it would make your WC build perfect!

View attachment 390019

View attachment 390020
Looks like we've got pretty similar setups.

9898EA3D-D1F2-4CD2-9087-FC13AFEA1804_1_105_c.jpeg

Definitely enjoy the peace of mind this thing offers. Feel more okay leaving the system on even when I'm not home. Mine also seems to be inaccurate for sensing the level - though I wonder if that represents air bubbles still trapped somewhere in the system. I think the deaeration function would work better if it cycled to the maximum vacuum instead of 300 mbar. Otherwise the thing seems to work great

Looks like we've got pretty similar setups.

View attachment 398531

Definitely enjoy the peace of mind this thing offers. Feel more okay leaving the system on even when I'm not home. Mine also seems to be inaccurate for sensing the level - though I wonder if that represents air bubbles still trapped somewhere in the system. I think the deaeration function would work better if it cycled to the maximum vacuum instead of 300 mbar. Otherwise the thing seems to work great

Mine also is inaccurate reading the level (currently reading at 57%). I haven't really digged into it.

Mine also is inaccurate reading the level (currently reading at 57%). I haven't really digged into it.
Yeah mine was reading similarly at the level you see in that picture. I think it's probably some combination of air being stuck somewhere in the loop and the soft tubing collapsing a tad when the vacuum is pulled. It's probably calculating the level based on the assumption that the loop is filled with an incompressible substance and the volume of the "container" (res, tubing, blocks) is constant. With those assumptions, the level can be determined with some fairly simple math. But with soft tubing and trapped air, those assumptions don't necessarily hold true.

Knowing the fill level doesn't seem critical to its function though. If anything, might get some false positives on leaks (which is much better than false negatives).

Back