Apple's 2013 Abomination of the Mac Pro and the Sonnet Mac Pro enclosure

In 2013 Apple made it's abomination of the design of the Mac Pro that looked like and infinity speaker or trash can that it probably actually is in the sense of design and I don't care how small it is or how well it keep the system cool or quiet at an affordable price, because it has no extra internal storage bays and the idea of using it as a server is impractical because it's not natively rack-mountable without this:

http://www.sonnettech.com/product/rackmacpro.html

Also, considering it has no extra internal storage drive bays it has crap worth of local storage compared to PC solutions and has to use external hard drive enclosures and store files or extra program or games that might not fit on internal storage off external storage and it has no fault tolerance without the sonnet mac pro enclosure. To make matters worse sonnet no longer makes the hot swap bay accessory, which pretty much was external storage anyway and was just using thunderbolt 2 or 3. This is the most retarded computer design ever for even being considered for server or even home use for some of these reason, but also because it doesn't fit in some desk tower bays for home use and as for server it's not rack-mountable as I said.

I know almost everything is moving to cloud though and that all cloud storage isn't bad, but I find in unreliable and in excusable that more internal storage isn't possible or offered and that hot-swap bays don't exist on this tower or abomination and are also no longer available on sonnet's enclosure. Keep in mind too that sonnet's enclosure is the only enclosure I could find for this Mac Pro too. Also, you should never run program off external storage typically used for backup and you can do raid with SSD's, but Apple either a bunch of pricks or to retarded to figure out how and the goes for RAID with SSHD's. This is inexcusable that Apple's gets to dictate what I can or could do with my Mac Pro and retard computer case design so badly that it's impractical or doesn't do what it should.

Keep in mind an enclosure for the mac mini by sonnet is also available too, but it lacks hot-swap bays too. Apple is the only company that forces or came up with the idea to make customers look, like complete retards by using external devices such as optical drives with mobile devices too and non-mobile devices when they should be internal as well as the only company that makes in impractical or difficult to use mobile racks in a tower computer case or whatever you consider this case too.

Finally, keep in mind that I was going to use the sonnet enclosure give myself and my parents something close to a normal enclosure that had more internal storage capabilities too. I know RAID causes problems too, but I don't care and apple had the easiest RAID setup possible if you ask me, but then they did this and now I can't even rely on sonnet to provide an enclosure to fix the problem that shouldn't exist because retards run apple now and apparently control sonnet too now as well. Seriously, why in the hell can't a customer have more internal storage or hot-swap bays for server use and why doesn't apple provide it for their devices. It's only been a problem for Apple, since they did this and it was funny how some people literally made computers cases out of trash cans to use PC parts to do what I'm not allowed to talk about on HF about them and is my only other option to get the kind of internal storage or server capabilities if I want that too in a server if I wanted an Apple Server, which apparently I won't now ever if they don't fix this. If that weren't enough you can't use standard expansion cards, such as graphics cards with Macs too anymore.

Last edited:
Well nevermind kinda because here is the enclosure I was talking about, but I have to go to Buy Now to see it if not another way and it's still doesn't do everything I want though, even if I could request it somehow. It still seems in excusable that anyone even needs this type of enclosure to do what they want with the computer they pay for or their computer:

https://www.sonnetstore.com/collections/mac-pro-enclosures/products/xmac-pro-server

Last edited:
To quote some actual comments I've heard at the Apple store--"but it looks so pretty" "so sleek and sheik" "that looks so cool"

Computers as art--function following form will result in the problems you're facing.

And the solutions are almost as goofy--that rackmount looks like a subwoofer with a volume knob...:ROFLMAO:

This is why Apple doesn't have servers. Even their xserver didn't fare too well even though it was in the same class as dell servers of that era. But no native raid, sas, or enough storage bays definitely hurt them. But it did look pretty and shiny in its silver color. :rolleyes: Like anyone cares enough to walk into the server room and check out the various chassis for how 'pretty' they are...

This is why the PC dominates the world of computers. Because computers are function first form second machines at their core. And if you want functional art, you'll pay out the nose for it and it may not function so well. What I can't comprehend is where people suddenly had $400 to pay for a phone when phones were $99 anywhere you went, and suddenly when PC prices were dropping to $1500 for solid systems, people had $2500+ to blow on a fancy looking system--I just don't get where the money came from. :cautious:

Makes Your Mac Pro Road Ready—Strong, secure padded Computer Mounting Modules envelop the Mac Pros to protect their finish, hold them firmly in place, and make them road-ready, perfect for portable rack installations

This reads like an April fools joke. Protect their finish? Why? To enter software driven premature obsolescences with grace?

Some how I missed this so I actually had to see if any of these made it into the market.
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=m570.l1313&_nkw=rackmac+pro&_sacat=0

Wow they do exist.

Imagine 2-3 racks of these, never before could a server room be better described as 'Smug'.

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Back