Apple Cinema Display (20") - Incorrect Color?

BiH115

Gif Guy
So at my work, we have a 2005 PowerMac G5 (M9748LL/A), and the 20" Cinema Display (M9177LL/A). The issue we're having is that the picture isn't quite "right" most of the time. What we do is we unplug the adapter cable from the back of the tower, and then plug it in again, the color is then corrected. Was curious if this was perhaps the video card, the power adapter, or perhaps the video cable (one with the dvi connection, firewire, and USB). If it is the cable, does anyone know where I can go about purchasing one? I've searched high and low and cannot seem to find the exact model of cable I need that will work, much less how to find the OEM cable. Not entirely sure if it's the video card or not either heh.

Might just be a software problem with the display gamma or color profile getting messed up. Which version of Mac OS? Have you tried booting a PPC linux live CD and seeing if the issue is manifest there as well?

Might just be a software problem with the display gamma or color profile getting messed up. Which version of Mac OS? Have you tried booting a PPC linux live CD and seeing if the issue is manifest there as well?

Could be. It's 10.5.8. Have not tried Linux.

It's just odd that unplugging the dvi cable in the GPU and then plugging it back in fixes the color and makes it correct (though the "fixed" color looks washed out, as compared to the "incorrect color", pre unplug/re-plug).

EDIT: I just tried explaining the washed out thing to one of the people I work with, and she looked at me like I was crazy and blind. Sigh. I know what I'm seeing, it's just difficult to explain what's going on. Will try plugging in a different monitor that's a normal dvi-to-dvi connection tomorrow and get back with the results. Another way to tell that the Cinema's colors are incorrect is by opening up say, an eDirect or eNewsletter design/template and I immediately notice that some of the background colors and designs aren't showing up.

Last edited:
It's possible that the power adapter is going bad. I had similar problems with a 23".

It's possible that the power adapter is going bad. I had similar problems with a 23".

Now, when you say power adapter, are you talking about the little white box that stuff gets plugged into?

Back