Anyway to use Valve Index with HDMI or TB?

vegeta535

[H]F Junkie
I got a new laptop which lacks DP and wondering is there a way to get the index to work with it? All I read it will only work with DP. I would like to use the laptop as portable VR system. It has a 3060 in it.

If the laptop has TB3, that should work with an adapter. I have a difficult time keeping up with which Type-C versions have what features but I'm pretty sure TB3 ports always carry a DP signal.

If the laptop has TB3, that should work with an adapter. I have a difficult time keeping up with which Type-C versions have what features but I'm pretty sure TB3 ports always carry a DP signal.
That what I was thinking but didn't know if there would wackness that would prevent it from working. It only list 3.2 Gen 1 Type-C port with DisplayPort with alt mode. So I assume that will work. I don't why they have to overcomplicate a standard that was meant to simplify things.

This adapter should work right?

https://www.amazon.com/Cable-Matter...displayport+1.4+adapter&qid=1624553161&sr=8-3

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
If the USB-C port on your laptop is configured from the manufacturer to implement DP-alt mode with the dGPU then that adapter will work. The exact same one works with my Index and Asus ROG Zephyrus to get DP via USB-C.

If the USB-C port on your laptop is configured from the manufacturer to implement DP-alt mode with the dGPU then that adapter will work. The exact same one works with my Index and Asus ROG Zephyrus to get DP via USB-C.
That what it says on my spec sheet. I'll go ahead and order that adapter. Thanks!

That what I was thinking but didn't know if there would wackness that would prevent it from working. It only list 3.2 Gen 1 Type-C port with DisplayPort with alt mode. So I assume that will work. I don't why they have to overcomplicate a standard that was meant to simplify things.

This adapter should work right?

https://www.amazon.com/Cable-Matter...displayport+1.4+adapter&qid=1624553161&sr=8-3
Displayport is Displayport regardless of if the physical connector is regular, mini, or Type C, so it should be good to go with that adapter.

I'm also displeased with how Type-C is all over the place on features. Except for Thunderbolt, which I believe incorporates all other possible options (plus PCIe of course), it confuses the heck outta me how the ports can have any combination of 480mbit USB, 5Gbit USB, 10gbit USB, Displayport, and different levels of Power Delivery, and the only way to be sure of the capabilities is to check the spec sheets for each individual machine.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Displayport is Displayport regardless of if the physical connector is regular, mini, or Type C, so it should be good to go with that adapter.

I'm also displeased with how Type-C is all over the place on features. Except for Thunderbolt, which I believe incorporates all other possible options (plus PCIe of course), it confuses the heck outta me how the ports can have any combination of 480mbit USB, 5Gbit USB, 10gbit USB, Displayport, and different levels of Power Delivery, and the only way to be sure of the capabilities is to check the spec sheets for each individual machine.

Yeah it's annoying, but the alternative is using a million different connectors instead of just USB-C, because you can't make all USB-C devices capable of every feature For example a USB-C power adapter obviously is not compatible with displayport or capable of sending any video or data. The reason a lot of laptops and phones only have some ports, or no ports support it is because of cost. It costs way more to make a port capable of displaying video than it does just sending data. It has to have a connection to a capable video card, and enough bandwidth, internals capable of handling the power, etc.
You clearly know this, but sometimes I hear other people complain why can't it do X, it does on my other device. They just think everything is magic.

I've run my Index off an OMEN X 2S with a single TB 3.0 USB-C port, but the thing is that I had to have a passive USB-C to DP alt mode adapter for it to work.

I had a few USB-C breakout docking station/dongle devices, but none of those worked, probably because they're active devices with a bunch of other functions (USB-A hub, Ethernet, charging) that doesn't handle the DP bandwidth the Index needs.

Perhaps I'd have better luck with a TB 3.0 docking station, but I just haven't felt like spending money on one yet.

Now, if the USB 3.0 port in question isn't a Thunderbolt port, then it's more of a crapshoot. There's a reason I call it USB Type-Confusion (if not something much more vulgar), due to all the potential features that may or may not be enabled. Only Thunderbolt-spec ports actually live up to the "IT ONLY DOES EVERYTHING." potential that USB-C touts.

Back