Anyway to game without a monitor?

dexvx

[H]ard|Gawd
So my server on WoW is one of the few with a queue. It's not terribly long (maybe half hour), but I'd still like to avoid it.

Is there anyway to run the game headless (so I can get in the queue when I leave after work)? I don't want to have port forwarding setup for my primary system if possible. I'm using an ex-mining Windows 8.1 system with a Radeon 7950 and TightVNC, and the game literally freezes the system (you have to ctrl-alt-del out of it). I've disabled ULPS, and the GPU clocks are still incredibly low.

Any suggestions?

I would say TeamViewer which can easily be done with their phone app.

I've checked on my Garrison using Team Viewer ;) I run WoW windowed, not sure if that is required though..

Won't WOW autoboot you back to the 'enter world' screen after extended AFK? In which case you need a macro to bot you around right?

Just looked up the teamviewer app, can you really "play" WoW on that???

Last edited:
Won't WOW autoboot you back to the 'enter world' screen after extended AFK? In which case you need a macro to bot you around right?

Just looked up the teamviewer app, can you really "play" WoW on that???

Yes you can. I don't remember the differences between the different programs, but I play eve on my phone with phonemypc, my buddy does the same with teamviewer I believe. Some games you can't see on your phone, will just be a black box. But you can still interact with it normally, phones just have issues displaying some.

Edit: before anyone asks I guess, you can't really play normally. There is a few second delay sometimes if you are connecting out of the house, connecting via LAN works pretty quickly thoughperfect for getting something setup for when your back, need to prevent afk or just do menu based stuff like skill queues or trading on eve.. Also, it's fun to mess with roommates or such by blasting music as you are about to walk thru the door.

Looks like VNC can't work with full 3D screen applications.

I had to manually connect a monitor (since it doesn't allow you to choose windowed mode manually, from what I've seen) and set it to windowed mode and everything works fine.

Back