Anyone Used the Optimus Res?

Endgame

Gawd
I'm getting ready for a Ryzen 5950x, and figured I would give the Optimus blocks a try. While I was busy looking over my current WC kit, I've decided it's time to ditch the Swiftech bayrez (it is annoying to fill and new cases aren't exactly swimming with 5.25" bays), and my D5 is something like 12 years old at this point. I thought, why not get an optimus res + d5 pump to go with the block, and then looked at the price - they certainly aren't winning any budget battles. Anyone used the Res? Is it awesome or too expensive? Does the aluminum housing actually make a difference in noise / cooling?

Last edited:
Just be wary of delivery time frames so if you haven't got an alternative you could be without.

I've got their threadripper block and the quality is great, don't have the reservoir though ( use singularity one on my current PC and new one is just a distribution plate with built in pump mount). For me the main selection criteria really is does it place well and how are you going to drain. Other than that, it's all just style points really as it won't give you any extra cooling or stuff like that, I do miss a good reserator though.

So whilst I don't have one, I'd be pretty comfortable that it will be really good quality and look good, just they're a bit fucked on manufacturing atm as the 'rona has smashed them. Good to support a small american company though. I'd rather do that in these times.

I can also vouch for their excellent water blocks as well as for their lead times for delivery due to COVID, it took just over a month to get my water block (ordered August 21st, arrived September 23rd). At least customer service was good and they were quick to reply to my emails, keeping me up to date on status.

As for their reservoirs, sorry, I don’t have much input on that. They looked nice, but they didn’t have a mount at the time for me to install it sideways where I can hang it from a radiator and fan.

I also have their cpu block. Quality is excellent, as others have said you could wait over a month as I did. After receiving the block, I would wait again.

I went with CPU block, rez + pump combo, and some fittings. Its the most I've spent on watercooling since I built my first WC loop back in 2002. In all honesty, my existing 10+ year old D5 is probably fine for another 10 years, but I've always toyed with running dual pumps in case of failure, so now sounds like a great time.

I haven't gone WC yet, but I've had my eye on the Optimus block and res when I do. Quality sounds excellent.

This will also be my first 3/8 system - I’ve always done 1/2” systems in the past... uh, almost 20 years, so I figured I would go 3/8” since performance is supposed to be identical at this point. If I don’t like it, I can always change the fittings and go back to 1/2”, or try my hand at hard line.

Order arrived today. Both the Rez and the block look really nice, and I can’t complain with the turn around time.

Back