Anyone use the Rosewill RSV-L4500?

dexvx

[H]ard|Gawd
I looked at Norco and eBay supermicro options, and they run around $300. This Rosewill runs for $100 on NE/Amazon.

Cons for this is that the drives appear to be arranged in 3 columns of 5 and no hot-swap (don't think I'll need it). Pro's are cheap, quiet (I have SM's at my work lab, and they're f'ing loud), accepts standard ATX PSU's.

Are there any other decent fixed 3.5" alternatives?

Specs here:
http://www.rosewill.com/products/2312/ProductDetail_Overview.htm

I have the 12-bay hot swap version of that case (RSV-L4411) and it is really quiet. I replaced the rear fans with PWM fans and it was even quieter. I am not a big fan on way the lid attaches (4 small countersunk screws) but it's going to be racked when I can find some rails for it (currently Amazon and NE are OOS)

I have the 12-bay hot swap version of that case (RSV-L4411) and it is really quiet. I replaced the rear fans with PWM fans and it was even quieter. I am not a big fan on way the lid attaches (4 small countersunk screws) but it's going to be racked when I can find some rails for it (currently Amazon and NE are OOS)

Most of the complaints from reviewers involves the drive cages (or drive bays) not being "firmly" attached. Do you have a problem with this?

I have that Rosewill case.
It's a beast for airflow, stays very cool. I have not had any issues with the drive cages being loose. I am very happy with my case and would recommend it for that price. If you have any other questions let me know.

Most of the complaints from reviewers involves the drive cages (or drive bays) not being "firmly" attached. Do you have a problem with this?

I have only had to re-seat a drive once other than that it's been perfect.

How do you remove or add a drive in that thing? Do you have to remove an entire 5-bay carrier from the case first?

How do you remove or add a drive in that thing? Do you have to remove an entire 5-bay carrier from the case first?

It depends on your cabling. You don't have to remove the whole bay, since it comes with the clips to attach your harddrive and then you can slide into the bay. If you have lots of cables that you can't move, then you'll probably have to take the bay out.

It depends on your cabling. You don't have to remove the whole bay, since it comes with the clips to attach your harddrive and then you can slide into the bay. If you have lots of cables that you can't move, then you'll probably have to take the bay out.
Ok, I see now. Do they drives slide in from the front or rear of the cage?

I've had mine for several months now. Only complaints are the HD's are a bitch to get in and out cabling is a nightmare. But it's very well built and, as others have mentioned, the air flow is very good. Wish I had gone with the hot swap version but I'll live with this one for awhile.

Has anyone successfully rack mounted one of these with out issue? I am going back and forth between this and a Norco unit, but I have seen a ton of comments over the past couple years on 4U Rosewill Server cases having issues fitting in a standard rack. Some say they hack up the handles to make it work, but that is less than ideal.

I just bought one for my personal workstation/gaming rig and it's great. It racked with no issues, although I'm using fixed shelving and not rails.

Fans aren't as loud as you would suspect for a rackmounted case, but they are louder than I would like so I swapped out all 8 fans (6 120mm and 2 80mm) for silent alternatives, now my i7 4790K running at 4.8GHz is essentially silent, not a bad deal.

I just bought one for my personal workstation/gaming rig and it's great. It racked with no issues, although I'm using fixed shelving and not rails.

Fans aren't as loud as you would suspect for a rackmounted case, but they are louder than I would like so I swapped out all 8 fans (6 120mm and 2 80mm) for silent alternatives, now my i7 4790K running at 4.8GHz is essentially silent, not a bad deal.

I have shelves and that is an option, I have a rack so I am all anal about everything being on rails for some reason.

I'm using these fixed rails: http://www.gruber.com/rack-rails-4-post-adjustable-1u

RiRCfl9.jpg

I have that Rosewill case.
It's a beast for airflow, stays very cool. I have not had any issues with the drive cages being loose. I am very happy with my case and would recommend it for that price. If you have any other questions let me know.

I'm thinking of buying it too. The description said it has mid section intake, is it true? any top or bottom air intakes? I dont have an actual rack to mount it, so ill be placing it flat on the floor. Would that be a problem? thanks

I'm thinking of buying it too. The description said it has mid section intake, is it true? any top or bottom air intakes? I dont have an actual rack to mount it, so ill be placing it flat on the floor. Would that be a problem? thanks

In the mid section there are 3 fans for intake. Nothing on the top or bottom.

I'm not using a rack either, I have laying on a plywood shelf I made that is about 6" off the ground. Been running fine for over a year and a half now.

I am also considering to buy either RSV-L4500 or RSV-L4000 for a silent, rackable workstation build. I am looking for maximum height cleareance inside the case but find anectodal and contradictory information only - can anyone point me in the right direction? I intend to put a 158.7 mm heatsink (Megahalems Rev C) inside it and I just don't know if it would fit.

I've written to their sales dept, sifted through their manual and went through various video and owner reviews and I just can't get a definitive, non-conflicting answer. For example, some people claim the max clearance is 142 mm, there are people who have been able to fit a cooler (at least) 151 mm tall and I've found instances where people were seemingly able to fit a 159 mm cooler (Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus). For example, a review here claims the heatsink hits the top of the case but it doesn't say if the contact prevented him from actually closing the case or not (just search for "Hyper 212" string).

Personally, I would be ok with (a slight) contact, as long as there is no *excessive* force pressuring the motherboard (as it is easy to isolate the contact surface). For example, I now use a $40 Fractal Design Core 1000 with a 159 mm heatsink and it fits just barely, with a benign contact. The case is 175 mm, whereas the Rosewills are 177 mm, so it would seem that, ceteris paribus, the heatsink should fit, so I really don't understand how people claim 142 mm or 151 mm heatsinks "barely fit". Am I missing something obvious here?

Lastly, if you are positive the heatsink would not fit in this case - what alternatives exist in 4U size?

I am also considering to buy either RSV-L4500 or RSV-L4000 for a silent, rackable workstation build. I am looking for maximum height cleareance inside the case but find anectodal and contradictory information only - can anyone point me in the right direction? I intend to put a 158.7 mm heatsink (Megahalems Rev C) inside it and I just don't know if it would fit.

I've written to their sales dept, sifted through their manual and went through various video and owner reviews and I just can't get a definitive, non-conflicting answer. For example, some people claim the max clearance is 142 mm, there are people who have been able to fit a cooler (at least) 151 mm tall and I've found instances where people were seemingly able to fit a 159 mm cooler (Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus). For example, a review here claims the heatsink hits the top of the case but it doesn't say if the contact prevented him from actually closing the case or not (just search for "Hyper 212" string).

Personally, I would be ok with (a slight) contact, as long as there is no *excessive* force pressuring the motherboard (as it is easy to isolate the contact surface). For example, I now use a $40 Fractal Design Core 1000 with a 159 mm heatsink and it fits just barely, with a benign contact. The case is 175 mm, whereas the Rosewills are 177 mm, so it would seem that, ceteris paribus, the heatsink should fit, so I really don't understand how people claim 142 mm or 151 mm heatsinks "barely fit". Am I missing something obvious here?

Lastly, if you are positive the heatsink would not fit in this case - what alternatives exist in 4U size?

I have a Hyper 212 EVO in mine. It barely fits, had to work a little to get the cover on and closed. When closed you can see the cover dented/bent at the area. Hasn't caused any damage to motherboard or anything else though.

Earlier this year I put mine out to pasture. It was replaced with a Supermicro SC846 24 bay hot swap chassis. I went with a SM X8DT6-F motherboard which, is 100 percent compatible with this chassis, and all the trimmings. If you keep a lookout, deals on this chassis pop up all the time. It beats all the cheap alternatives hands down.

Earlier this year I put mine out to pasture. It was replaced with a Supermicro SC846 24 bay hot swap chassis. I went with a SM X8DT6-F motherboard which, is 100 percent compatible with this chassis, and all the trimmings. If you keep a lookout, deals on this chassis pop up all the time. It beats all the cheap alternatives hands down.

Slight disparity in price between the case in the OP and what you suggested. It would need to be one hell of a deal

Back