Anyone “upgraded” from 5900X to 5800X3D for gaming?

Should I get a 5800X3D?

• Total voters
My 5900x goes nearly neck and neck at 4.6GHZ all cores in game with a 5800x3d.. and I'm able to multitask better as well.. choosing 8 cores over 12 is comical.

"BUT IT"S GOT 96 MB L3 Cache!"

Who cares?

This is [H]. If you don't have 40+ tabs open in your browser, with tunes playing in the back, while discord is open, and watching youtube, and using 3d MARK, and afterburner, while looking at old girlfriend photos, with [H]ard Steve open, all on your second, third or fourth monitor while gaming on your primary, you're doing it wrong and aren't "Realistically" comparing what your beloved 5800x3d can and can't do in the real world.
Get that single task console pleb mentality OUTTA here.

5800x3d can kiss my ass.

5900x all day.

Last edited:
My 5900x goes nearly neck and neck at 4.6GHZ all cores in game with a 5800x3d.. and I'm able to multitask better as well.. choosing 8 cores over 12 is comical.

"BUT IT"S GOT 96 MB L3 Cache!"

Who cares?

This is [H]. If you don't have 40+ tabs open in your browser, with tunes playing in the back, while discord is open, and watching youtube, and using 3d MARK, and afterburner, while looking at old girlfriend photos, with [H]ard Steve open, all on your second, third or fourth monitor while gaming on your primary, you're doing it wrong and aren't "Realistically" comparing what your beloved 5800x3d can and can't do in the real world.
Get that single task console pleb mentality OUTTA here.

5800x3d can kiss my ass.

5900x all day.

Sounds like you have a bit of an attitude problem. Being a member of [H] has never been about pretending that you are a badass by using cuss words while talking about computer hardware.

I'm glad that you like your 5900X. It's a fine CPU. I don't see anyone being misleading about the benefits of the L3 cache on the 5800X3D. Some games don't benefit much. But some games do, and some games do, a LOT.

5800x3d_review1.png

And the performance benefit isn't just about a simplistic FPS number. The 5800X3D is simply smoother in many cases. No having to communicate across the infinity fabric between CCDs. Less need to access RAM due to having so much cache. These things aren't always shown well in raw FPS measurements but they can often be felt and noticed by end-users as smoother gameplay.

5800x3d_review2.png

No one is forcing you to upgrade, and I'm sorry that this thread tarnished your ego.

Sounds like you have a bit of an attitude problem. Being a member of [H] has never been about pretending that you are a badass by using cuss words while talking about computer hardware.

I'm glad that you like your 5900X. It's a fine CPU. I don't see anyone being misleading about the benefits of the L3 cache on the 5800X3D. Some games don't benefit much. But some games do, and some games do, a LOT.

View attachment 588184

And the performance benefit isn't just about a simplistic FPS number. The 5800X3D is simply smoother in many cases. No having to communicate across the infinity fabric between CCDs. Less need to access RAM due to having so much cache. These things aren't always shown well in raw FPS measurements but they can often be felt and noticed by end-users as smoother gameplay.

View attachment 588185

No one is forcing you to upgrade, and I'm sorry that this thread tarnished your ego.
Apologies if I hit a soft spot, the [H] joke went over head. And nobody's forcing you to go to a 5900x either - I'm just adding to the discussion.

We can compare charts from charts all day - as there are plenty to showcase the 5900x does just as good, slightly lower, and some as better in select games than the 5800x3d(and even moreso with an OC'd 5900x)....
1691221820595.png

1691226674308.png

1691226731611.png

And then you've got laughable ones with such high frame rates, it's only used to feed the epeen.

1691224608709.png
<----- oh boy! A whole 5% difference! Gee golly gosh!

1691224968716.png
<- Darn, only 180 frames, I need 200! 0_o

When both CPUS are clearly capable of hitting high triple digit frame rates to a point you can't even notice, is that worth dropping four cores over a controversial -10% to +20% performance increase in just one application, yet losing entirely out of the rest? Ehhhh....

1691226142000.png

I just don't see the logic behind calling a 5800x3d an "upgrade".

Last edited:
I play at 4K, and I prefer my 5900X for the games that I play. X3D is ok if all you do is play games with your computer. Outside of games, it is slow.

I kept my 5900X, I read reviews and once you go 4k the benchmarks really tighten up to being tie, or just a handful of FPS. The 5800X3D seems to benefit those who game at 1440P or 1080P the most.

Again, these are box stock reviews. A stock 5900X is weak. You need to feed it much higher power limits to allow it to really stretch its legs.
That's the key right here. An all core OC can do a lot to unshackle the cache on the vanilla versions. It'd be a much more interesting comparison if both CPU could be compared at their optimal/maximum settings.

If the 5800X3D was a consistent 30-40fps across the board at 4k i may of got one. But 5-10fps for many games and a offhand game that maybe gets 20-30fps just wasn't worth it.

Most are well under 10 percent when compared to a 5800X, yes a few games do show a benefit, but some are games I've already played or don't play. For me it just wasn't worth spending the money and time to get one, I felt getting a 4080 was a better priority.
I always chuckle a bit to myself when "just a handful of FPS" turns into 20-30% gains for quite a few CPU sensitive games ;)

Of course, worth is relative. This is merely a musing on my part.

Last edited:
I always chuckle a bit to myself when "just a handful of FPS" turns into 20-30% gains for quite a few CPU sensitive games ;)

Of course, worth is relative. This is merely a musing on my part.
What games, games I’ve already played, or don’t plan to play. My decision was to put the funds towards a 4080. If I was building a new system I would definitely get a 7900X3D. 😉

Apologies if I hit a soft spot, the [H] joke went over head. And nobody's forcing you to go to a 5900x either - I'm just adding to the discussion.

We can compare charts from charts all day - as there are plenty to showcase the 5900x does just as good, slightly lower, and some as better in select games than the 5800x3d(and even moreso with an OC'd 5900x)....
View attachment 588187

View attachment 588192

View attachment 588193

And then you've got laughable ones with such high frame rates, it's only used to feed the epeen.

View attachment 588189 <----- oh boy! A whole 5% difference! Gee golly gosh!

View attachment 588190 <- Darn, only 180 frames, I need 200! 0_o

When both CPUS are clearly capable of hitting high triple digit frame rates to a point you can't even notice, is that worth dropping four cores over a controversial -10% to +20% performance increase in just one application, yet losing entirely out of the rest? Ehhhh....

View attachment 588191
I just don't see the logic behind calling a 5800x3d an "upgrade".
The major upgrade would show itself better in frametime graphs. The 5800x3D feels smoother in games and the stuttering in high framerate MP games that I had with the 5900x is pretty much gone on the 5800x3D.

What games, games I’ve already played, or don’t plan to play. My decision was to put the funds towards a 4080. If I was building a new system I would definitely get a 7900X3D. 😉
Why 7900x3D? Both the 7800x3D and the 7950x3D are superior for games. The 7900x3D is basically a 6 core CPU for gaming.

The major upgrade would show itself better in frametime graphs. The 5800x3D feels smoother in games and the stuttering in high framerate MP games that I had with the 5900x is pretty much gone on the 5800x3D.
Yeah. My 5900x was fine but the 5800x3d feels quite a bit better when gaming and exactly the same when doing my normal usage (web browsing, video watching, etc). I can see it mattering if you use your PC to do real creative work but I'd rather have the 15% better 1% lows than have 2 minutes carved off of a 20 minute video encode (when I'd likely walk away from my PC anyway).

I kept my 5900X, I read reviews and once you go 4k the benchmarks really tighten up to being tie, or just a handful of FPS. The 5800X3D seems to benefit those who game at 1440P or 1080P the most.

Yeah, CPU benchmarks do tend to "tighten up" when you introduce GPU bottlenecks :rolleyes:

For the main game I play, upgrading from my 5900X to my 5800X3D was actually a bigger performance boost than upgrading from my RTX 2080 to my RTX 4080. And, I sold my 5900X and made most of my money back. For some games, the 3D cache is amazing, and there are enough benchmarks out there that it's not difficult to figure out if makes sense for you or not.

You say that the upgrade is only for those with "money to burn". From my perspective, giving an existing AM4 rig one last upgrade to a 5800X3D can result in amazing gains for the money. Considering that the only other upgrade paths involve a CPU+Motherboard+Ram full platform upgrade; want to talk about burning money?
I mean, any upgrade is worth it, performance definitely will increase if you upgrade cpu, gpu, ram, I was searching recently to upgrade too but I felt no need for now, I can wait another gen or two, I don't need bleeding edge or close to it, im playing diablo 4 fine, even my 1080 gtx runs it max at 1440p, so my 4080 makes my rig way way overkill already for the games i play

I mean, any upgrade is worth it, performance definitely will increase if you upgrade cpu, gpu, ram, I was searching recently to upgrade too but I felt no need for now, I can wait another gen or two, I don't need bleeding edge or close to it, im playing diablo 4 fine, even my 1080 gtx runs it max at 1440p, so my 4080 makes my rig way way overkill already for the games i play

Hardware requirements for Diablo 4 are exceptionally modest given that it's a brand-new game. I tried it on a system with an i5-4590 and an ancient GTX 670 and it ran great, so I'm not surprised that you had good results with your 1080. Kind of makes me wonder why they would even bother with DLSS 3.0 on that game other than marketing, but w/e.

But really, it's not rocket science. Just monitor your GPU usage while you game. If your GPU usage is pegged at 100% (because of your resolution, game settings, or whatever), then you're not going to get extra performance from upgrading your CPU.

But if your GPU usage is NOT pegged at 100% most of the time, then that means something else is the bottleneck. In most cases the CPU is the next thing that will be creating a bottleneck. In that case, there can be some great gains from upgrading the CPU.

Generalizations aren't helpful. Knowing what's going on with YOUR computer when you play YOUR games is what is helpful. In my case, upgrading from a 5900X (with PBO settings painstakingly optimized over the course of 6+ months) to a 5800X3D provided a massive boost. Am I going to beat my chest and act like you will have the same gains even though your overall hardware configuration might be very different, and you might be playing totally different games? No.

That’s awesome and on top of it all you get that sweet flavor of nostalgia from your retro gaming PC!

Hardware requirements for Diablo 4 are exceptionally modest given that it's a brand-new game. I tried it on a system with an i5-4590 and an ancient GTX 670 and it ran great, so I'm not surprised that you had good results with your 1080. Kind of makes me wonder why they would even bother with DLSS 3.0 on that game other than marketing, but w/e.

But really, it's not rocket science. Just monitor your GPU usage while you game. If your GPU usage is pegged at 100% (because of your resolution, game settings, or whatever), then you're not going to get extra performance from upgrading your CPU.

But if your GPU usage is NOT pegged at 100% most of the time, then that means something else is the bottleneck. In most cases the CPU is the next thing that will be creating a bottleneck. In that case, there can be some great gains from upgrading the CPU.

Generalizations aren't helpful. Knowing what's going on with YOUR computer when you play YOUR games is what is helpful. In my case, upgrading from a 5900X (with PBO settings painstakingly optimized over the course of 6+ months) to a 5800X3D provided a massive boost. Am I going to beat my chest and act like you will have the same gains even though your overall hardware configuration might be very different, and you might be playing totally different games? No.
i would rather upgrade to 7800x3d if i were to upgrade, from youtube videos comparing different generation cpus, the gains are modest at best, thats why i didnt drop change for new cpus yet, my intel 9900k and amd 5900x still running fabulous, the most gains come from what gpu you have

i would rather upgrade to 7800x3d if i were to upgrade
Sure, but now you're talking about upgrading your motherboard and RAM also. If that extra cost is not a consideration, then go for it. I think most of the people in this thread are talking about potentially extending the life of their existing AM4 setups, at comparatively minimal cost.

from youtube videos comparing different generation cpus, the gains are modest at best, thats why i didnt drop change for new cpus yet
Instead of watching youtube videos, did you ever investigate to see what the bottleneck in your system is, while playing the games that you care about? I mean, you don't have to be a professional reviewer to be able to determine what is holding your system back.

the most gains come from what gpu you have
In what context? In most cases, if you are CPU limited, then you will get exactly ZERO gains from a GPU upgrade. The only exceptions are things like DLSS 3.0 or if your old GPU is so old that the upgrade allows you to switch your games from DX11 to DX12. That is why it's important to analyze your own system to see what your bottlenecks are.

Sure, but now you're talking about upgrading your motherboard and RAM also. If that extra cost is not a consideration, then go for it. I think most of the people in this thread are talking about potentially extending the life of their existing AM4 setups, at comparatively minimal cost.

because i see zero point upgrading to a 5800x3d when im on 5900x
Instead of watching youtube videos, did you ever investigate to see what the bottleneck in your system is, while playing the games that you care about? I mean, you don't have to be a professional reviewer to be able to determine what is holding your system

why do i need to investigate what bottlenecks i have when my system is running every game fine and smooth ? my gpu is recent and my cpu is considered recent
In what context? In most cases, if you are CPU limited, then you will get exactly ZERO gains from a GPU upgrade. The only exceptions are things like DLSS 3.0 or if your old GPU is so old that the upgrade allows you to switch your games from DX11 to DX12. That is why it's important to analyze your own system to see what your bottlenecks are.
i never said i was limited by my cpu… my desktop runs every game fine, from latest triple a to legacy games

because i see zero point upgrading to a 5800x3d when im on 5900x
Then don't. It's not as if anyone here actually cares what you do with your own computer. I just don't see the need to post over and over again just to tell people that you're not actually interested in the subject being discussed.

why do i need to investigate what bottlenecks i have when my system is running every game fine and smooth ? my gpu is recent and my cpu is considered recent
I believe that most here would consider it valuable to know what component in their system is actually holding them back. If you're not actually interested in potentially increasing the performance of your computer then why are you even posting in this thread?

i never said i was limited by my cpu… my desktop runs every game fine, from latest triple a to legacy games
If you're not willing to perform even the most basic analysis of your computer's performance, then how do you have any idea what is holding you back? And if your position is simply "all my games run fine" then why are you debating about hardware on a computer discussion forum?

I flip flop back and forth between my X3D all the time.. its a good CPU. And it just sips power too. If you have a good case like a Torrent, you can run X3D semi passively with no fans on the cooler (FC140 and PS120SE) with just the stock Fractal setup.

Then don't. It's not as if anyone here actually cares what you do with your own computer. I just don't see the need to post over and over again just to tell people that you're not actually interested in the subject being discussed.

I believe that most here would consider it valuable to know what component in their system is actually holding them back. If you're not actually interested in potentially increasing the performance of your computer then why are you even posting in this thread?

If you're not willing to perform even the most basic analysis of your computer's performance, then how do you have any idea what is holding you back? And if your position is simply "all my games run fine" then why are you debating about hardware on a computer discussion forum?
5800x3d, 7800x3d, 13700k, 13900k would all be nice upgrades, definitely fps increase over my 5900x, i know its better than 5900x but for ME its not needed, understand ?

Back