Anyone have a heatsink they like for sticking on the back of 3090s?

Sycraft

Supreme [H]ardness
It seems like the VRAM on the backside could use a little more cooling. I have a 3090 FTW3 so a nice flat metal plate that it should be easy to stick a heatsink on top of to help a little. Anyone do that and have one they like for it?

It seems like the VRAM on the backside could use a little more cooling. I have a 3090 FTW3 so a nice flat metal plate that it should be easy to stick a heatsink on top of to help a little. Anyone do that and have one they like for it?
I am under water, but that ek active backplate plummeted my vram Temps. Cut them in half vs just a full front block. I definitely recommend whatever heatsinks you find that will work. Aim a fan there too!

If you haven't replaced the thermal pads, doing that will drop the mem temps a lot.

I use these:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B089QHQFBS/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

And these:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0999N3SZW/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

And these:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00KFCRATC/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Keeps my 3090's fairly cool:

IMG_2702.JPG

As for replacing the thermal pads, what brand / thickness do you recommend?

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Get an old powerful GPUs cooler and strap it to the backplate with some cooling pads.
With a small fan on it at low voltage it dropped my memory temp about 10C.
Not bad for a cheap fix that causes no damage, as long as you have an old GPU cooler hanging around :)

Love it. Did you use any sort of compound to glue the fins down or are relying on compression from the zip tie to keep everything snug?

I have a couple Gigabyte waterblock units that aren't full cover and the backs STILL get hot. One I replaced the pads and paste and the other needs it bad...I am pretty sure the pads and paste are failing.

+1 on the Gelids. As for size, it depends on what size you need. If the gap is 1mm, then a 1.5mm pad will jack up the heat sink by 0.5mm and it won't make contact with the GPU. If you use a 0.5mm, then the pad won't make contact with the heatsink. Safe bet is to get some 0.5mm and some 1mm. You may try searching for a youtube video of thermal pad replacement for your card model and they may mention which sizes they are using.

The heatsinks I linked to are 150mm x 93mm. The 0.5mm Gelid pads are 120mm x 120mm. It just so happens that when you trim the pad to 120mm x 93mm, you are left with a strip that is 27mm x 120mm. Once you trim the 120mm side down to 93mm, you have strip that is perfect to completely cover the back of the heatsink.

The Gelids don't have very strong adhesive properties, but it is enough to stick the heatsink to the backplane, even with the card vertically. That said, I would not rely on that by itself long term. As the backplate gets hot, I suspect the adhesion would worsen.

This fall when I bring my rigs into the house for heat, I might take the time to redo the pads. During the summer I keep my rigs in my shop building so I don't have to deal with the heat in my house.

These are my actual temps at the moment on rigs with 3000 series cards in them:

ETH: (non HRL GPUs)

tempsm5.jpg

tempsm7.jpg

tempsgamer.jpg

Kawpow (Raven): (HRL GPUs)
tempsm6.jpg

tempsgamer2.jpg

The only cards that are 100+ on memory are 3080's, so I'll probably start with those as far as replacing pads.

So I got a couple of the heatsinks and some pads and placed it on a 3090 tuf. My hash rate is maybe 120 and temp is in the low to mid 90s.

I just really have to wonder about the ram temps and what is realistic. To contrast it, I have another 3090 tough sitting in a bykski full cover water block that chugs out 126mh and the mem temps stay probably in the 60-70 range (I can't remember for sure, hive doesn't show it). It is tempting to just get another bykski. The just work.

Back