Anyone has PC lock up during boot up (BIOS level) when there is a permanent connection of USB-B extension from monitor to USB-A on PC?

Happy Hopping

Supreme [H]ardness
https://www.viewsonic.com/us/produc...or-with-hdr10-hdmi-and-displayport.html#specs

say you have a USB-B extension cable from this monitor to the USB 3.0 port on your PC all the time.

(1) Has anyone seen your PC locks up at the BIOS level, i.e., it won't boot up, and you have to disconnect that USB - B extension cable from your monitor to PC in order to boot up?

as I have an old story that I am concern about:
I had an old HP professional workstation w/ the above problem. Now, I haven't use that PC for many years. But because I have to live w/ this problem for 2.5+ years, I haven't use the monitor to PC (USB B to USB A ) since then.

But I am running out of USB 3 port. So I am tempted to try it again if most of you doesn't have this problem. Currently I'm using Asus motherboard

(2) for those who are using USB B from your monitor to motherboard, do you connect the USB-A side to your motherboard, or are you paranoid that if you connect USB A to an USB Extension PCI - E x 1 adapter, that you wouldn't get as fast as the USB 3 on your motherboard? because your PCI - E x 1 could be sharing w/ some other lane?

With my wife's old computer i5-2500K / H55M-UD2H it would NOT boot if Her Garmin Fitness tracker was plugged into either front USB ports on her case. Never could get it to work, just had to make sure it was disconnected when booting.... it would detect the Garmin and sync..etc fine once the pc booted, but wouldn't boot if connected when you turned the PC on...

This would have been USB-A to whatever proprietary **** Garmin uses for this thing..

Garmin are proprietary. Back in those days, I use a Samsung 30" 2560 x 1600 monitor. The only item connects to the Samsung at the time is a Kingston USB flash drive. And the lock up happens every so often. I suppose it could be Samsung monitor causing it.

But I wonder how many members uses USB cable that connect their monitor to their PC as they are also running out of USB 3 ports and if they have any problems during boot up

https://www.viewsonic.com/us/produc...or-with-hdr10-hdmi-and-displayport.html#specs

say you have a USB-B extension cable from this monitor to the USB 3.0 port on your PC all the time.

(1) Has anyone seen your PC locks up at the BIOS level, i.e., it won't boot up, and you have to disconnect that USB - B extension cable from your monitor to PC in order to boot up?

as I have an old story that I am concern about:
I had an old HP professional workstation w/ the above problem. Now, I haven't use that PC for many years. But because I have to live w/ this problem for 2.5+ years, I haven't use the monitor to PC (USB B to USB A ) since then.

But I am running out of USB 3 port. So I am tempted to try it again if most of you doesn't have this problem. Currently I'm using Asus motherboard

(2) for those who are using USB B from your monitor to motherboard, do you connect the USB-A side to your motherboard, or are you paranoid that if you connect USB A to an USB Extension PCI - E x 1 adapter, that you wouldn't get as fast as the USB 3 on your motherboard? because your PCI - E x 1 could be sharing w/ some other lane?
1. That's an older kind of issue. This is something you really saw on older motherboards that would "poll" the USB connections on boot (I haven't seen anything like this in a LONG time). That sounds like par for the course on the Workstation. You can always see if there is a BIOS/Firmware update for the system. There may even be documented issues and workarounds for your exact model if you search for it.

2. PCIE 1x will transfer up to 5Gigabits (I use Expansion NICS that are 5Gig Wired in my home) or so, pretty easily. I wouldn't be too worried about speeds. You're never gonna see rated speeds on USB anyway, even under the best circumstances.

so in regards to #1, w/ my new Asus motherboard, ( 2 yr. old), it shouldn't happen then?

Update:

1) got the extension cable connects to my PC for the past 24 hr., everything works fine.

I have a VIA Labs LV800 VL0019A 4 port USB 3 adapter, I had it working on my old PC back in 2010. Then my next PC have lots of USB 3 ports, so I didn't use that adapter. Then comes my new PC since Nov., there is not enough USB 3 port, so I dig back out this adapter, install it, but I lost my driver CD. So I go to the website, download it, and the driver has 2 parts, a Hub driver, and a controller driver. 1 of them has error.

So I use my other USB 3 adapter from Vantec. Got it to work, quite happy. Then I notice those idiot at Vantec, their USB adapter port is upside down. The normal convention is the blue part is at the bottom, their card, the blue part is at the top.

So for now, I'm using my monitor USB port exclusively

but my only concern is, would the use of USB 3 port on a 43" UHD monitor shorten the lifespan of this monitor in anyway?

yes, my backup pc till this day will lock up around teh bios screen if i have the breakout box connected to it from the onboard 19pin usb 3.0 header on my x79 2011 board.

so I have a new problem: I connect the USB ext. hard drive to the monitor, do the backup, while I go downstair and work on other stuff. When I come back, the monitor goes to sleep, and because of that, the backup operation pause as it can't find the monitor. Now I can temporary turn off the screen saver, but shouldn't there be a better soln. on this?

Back