Anyone get their Steam Deck ordered?

Yeah, 2TB 2230 drives are still a bit pricey but definitely an option.
I think the more cost effective way is getting a bigger microSD card, and using that in conjunction with the SSD. Games installed on the SD card run great and I haven't had any issues with this at all.

I would imagine so as it seems they aren't dependent on heavy writes. The lack of DRAM on the smaller SSDs too, causes issues in cases where write activity is heavy.

Reactions: Vile
like this
Had an original preorder for a 512, canceled it. Decided I wanted one again. Should get here this Weds. 512 model. can't wait to try with nreal airs.

I got mine finally. The 512 version...... Not all that impressed. A small fraction of my games sorta work and getting into the desktop is tedious and incredibly slow.

I'll try a dock, but I'm not holding my breath. Totally a PC snob with this.

For all the power that all the rigs in your sig use the deck tops out at 29 watts. Is that not cool?

For all the power that all the rigs in your sig use the deck tops out at 29 watts. Is that not cool?
At that aspect, yes. However, I have rasp Pi's that can get lower power consumption and aren't nearly as slow in a desktop usage.

I had originally thought to use the deck for when I was on the road, but my current employer keeps me local. (Thankfully. To cranky to travel these days) So the deck, for me, was intended for some mild gaming and possibly some work stuff. It was meant to replace a 5600g on a b450 itx board, stuffed into a In Win Chopin case running Manjaro, for travel duty.

It's fine for the kids to play on, but as mentioned not nearly enough of the titles in my library work without a work around.

Then my experience with it as a desktop leaves me feeling underwhelmed.
With a dock, for me, it may at least open up some more titles that I like to play and possibly suit some of my expectations.

Is it a cool piece of gaming equipment? Yeah. Are there better alternatives? Yeah

At that aspect, yes. However, I have rasp Pi's that can get lower power consumption and aren't nearly as slow in a desktop usage.
I've got a pi4b 8gb watercooled and that's not even close. My Lattepanda 3 Delta isn't close and that's x86.

Are there better alternatives? Yeah
I'll take the bait. What are the better alternatives to a portable gaming desktop at this price with actual consumer support? Because it really sounds like you want a desktop replacement laptop and bought a gaming console wrongly thinking it would be the same thing.

I've got a pi4b 8gb watercooled and that's not even close. My Lattepanda 3 Delta isn't close and that's x86.

I'll take the bait. What are the better alternatives to a portable gaming desktop at this price with actual consumer support? Because it really sounds like you want a desktop replacement laptop and bought a gaming console wrongly thinking it would be the same thing.
First quote, I fail to see what you are getting at. If I was concerned about power usage, the pi can do things I require of it. Word, email and other office utilities aren't that demanding.

What bait? Other than your statement based on limited information? Or am I criminal of not over specifying enough?

I bought a Deck with the intent of portably playing my Steam library, that also was powerful enough to compete with at least a pi in desktop usage. I found a very limited group of my library available, and the desktop to be sluggish and painfully slow just to get on the internet. That and some of the things I didn't appreciate about the Steam controller I see has made it on the Deck as well. That's it.
If I wanted a laptop, (which I'm also not a fan of), I will use the one I have, but I prefer my homebrew concoction instead, which comes in very close on price to a Deck. Far superior performance, upgradable, can do my work junk on the road and is greatly more what I am accustomed too for my use case. My Deck was $711.30 shipped. Then add the price of a dock, which ranges from $30 to $100+. Assuming I went with Steams version for $89 and I'm thinking, there are things out there for $800 that can be had. I'll let you look them up.

I bought a portable gaming console to play games on, I am disappointed that it has potential for more than that, but it requires another purchase. As I stated in my original post, I will explore options that may expand it's potential a bit more, but if not, I'm sure it'll be used as the kids see fit. Or gather dust.

I suppose you are not one of those people that pushes the boundaries of equipment? It is Steam OS on some interesting hardware, don't you want to know what else it can do? Is it ok if my opinion of it isn't so great based on my personal experience?
Beyond that, I don't much more to say on the subject.

Just ordered the 64GB today. In the process of researching upgrading the SSD/SD Card for when it gets here.

I got the 256GB version, but seeing the prices of 256 GB and 512 GB 2230's, I should've went the 64GB route as well.

At this point I'm holding off upgrading until the 1 - 2 TB 2230's come down in price.

Also, using a 512 GB SD card and that works very well. I install my emulators on it and non-open world modern titles, and have had no issues with it.

I got the Nintendo Switch Lexar 1TB card and it had a ton of errors. Avoid.

I ended up ordering a 512GB Sandisk Extreme. I know it's not really going to be any faster than other cards but it seemed worth the extra few bucks for the peace of mind. I'll see how that serves me and then wait until I see a deal on a 1TB+ SSD.

SD came in yesterday (about a week from placing the order). I've been playing with the settings more than gaming on it. I loaded up Elden Ring and can see that it's going to take some adjustment since I'm used to 60+ fps Max settings. Indie games like Brotato, Dead Cells, and Ring of Pain are great though.

SD came in yesterday (about a week from placing the order). I've been playing with the settings more than gaming on it. I loaded up Elden Ring and can see that it's going to take some adjustment since I'm used to 60+ fps Max settings. Indie games like Brotato, Dead Cells, and Ring of Pain are great though.

Here is the site I use occasionally:
https://steamdeckhq.com/game-reviews/elden-ring/

Ordered one on Thursday. Figured why not burn some tax return.

Received it last night. Too tired and busy at work to mess around with it but I plan on setting it up tonight or tomorrow.

Attachments

• 9AB5D5B4-B70F-43BD-9506-09A70D23B0A3.jpeg
    9AB5D5B4-B70F-43BD-9506-09A70D23B0A3.jpeg
    551.9 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Back