anyone ever seen this happen before?

sirmonkey1985

[H]ard|DCer of the Month - July 2010
ok this is a new problem i've noticed recently that seems to only ever happen if i'm running star trek online and try to watch a flash video with STO minimized. its very random and doesn't happen 100% of the time.. but here are some screenshots just to give an idea of what is happening.

uETXy.jpg

ckBHT.png

the scrambling effect you see isn't constant and doesn't happen on every program. and only happens if i move the window around or try scrolling. also it will disapear completely after about 10-15 seconds.

if anyone has seen this before or has any idea's what could be causing it i'd much appreciate it. i know its not due to temps since the cards are idle at the time this happens. so my only theory is that its the problem nvidia reported fixing in their what ended up being broken 295.51 drivers which fixed issues with multiple video's running or its flash its self thats broken. also the only way to fix is rebooting which is bloody annoying.

other info..
using 8800GT's in SLI overclocked to 650/1782/1000 (ignore the numbers you see in precision that was from me screwing with it seeing if it was the overclock)
using the 290.53 drivers
drivers never crash so my cards are still in 3D clock mode.(anything newer then 258.96 does not allow my cards to downclock to 2D mode anyways so if they did i'd know the drivers crashed).

edit. another thing i just noticed, as long as i scroll pages using the page up/down keys i don't get the stupid scrambled effect on anything. but once i use the scroller or scroll bar(using the scroll bar makes it insanely worse) then it happens.

Last edited:
Yea, many years ago when I had a Hercules Stingray and I OC the cpu. I guess when I did that it OC the PCI bus and caused that same effect. I changed to a different video card and it was fine after that so guess the Stingray did not like the OC and the other card was fine with it.

Had this happen to me when I OCed my 8800GTS 640mb, though my situation wasn't as bad as the first image, but the second looks familiar.

Yikes. That looks ugly.

Like Yobbles said, probably due to OC.

yeah thats what i was thinking too, but the thing is its completely random, and its never happened unless i have STO open. if it was the overclock i'd expect it to happen while playing the game which the game easily breaks 75C on both cards and neither card artifacts at all. which in its self is surprising since the cards would artifact like crazy in MWLL(crysis mod) the second both cards hit 70C.

who knows maybe its a combination of the overclock, flash and how STO uses the memory on the cards since it dumps some of the vram load when the games minimized and re-caches it when the games open. i've just never seen it artifact like that on applications, i've only ever seen a bad overclock/card failing artifact the entire screen.

Looks like icon overload. :rolleyes:

lol you referring to all the icons on my desktop? i rarely ever look at my desktop so i never pay attention to it, that first screen shot was the first time i had looked at my desktop in almost 3 weeks, most of the screwed up icons are from stuff that was installed on one of my seagate drives that died over a year ago, to lazy to remove them. :D

Portions of your VRAM may be shot. Had this happen to me on one of my old 8800GTX cards. Try underclocking your video card's RAM and GPU to see if that clears it up. Best fix/solution: Time to upgrade your GPU!

Portions of your VRAM may be shot. Had this happen to me on one of my old 8800GTX cards. Try underclocking your video card's RAM and GPU to see if that clears it up. Best fix/solution: Time to upgrade your GPU!

hmm could be a possibility.. i'll try seeing if i can force the problem again with lower ram clocks.. i wonder if another one of my heatsinks fell off.. lol yeah i know i need to upgrade, hell i need to upgrade my entire system, i just can't afford to do it right now.

Back