Anyone else love their old case?

rgMekanic

[H]ard|News
I'm in this club (may be the only one) but I can't seem to upgrade my case .. I've had my Koolance PC2-650 (modded Chieftech Dragon) for 8 years now, has seen countless systems in it, upgrades, loop changes and I just can't seem to part with it!

Only case that looks okay to me is the 900D, but man that's expensive to replace something I still love.

I mean yeah, it's kinda cramped now, can only take 80mm fans, and weighs as much as a small planet, but I still love this damn case lol.

Anyone else like me?

~Rich

I am always satisfied with my Cosmos 1000. I have more than one in my house and don't feel like ever trading it out. It has a tool-less design, good vibration dampening, cable routing, and room for whatever I so desire(even server boards). 120mm is a must in my opinion though. I don't like larger than 120mm because having non-standard fan sizes drives up the cost of replacements and taste changes.

I'm only one case removed from still using my original Chieftec Dragon! It's currently boxed up in my basement storage room "just in case," haha. In fact, if it could fit 120+ mm fans in the rear and I didn't get my 700D plus side window panel for $150 total, I'd probably still be using it. A future mod project, no doubt...

My favorite case was the Yeong Yang yy-0221 cube case.
I had that case for 9 years I think and had a lot of different systems in it over the years.
I swapped to the Haf-932 when I bought a corsair h50 cooler and couldn't find an easy way to mount it into the cube.

case6.jpg
8-drives-2.jpg

I'm still on my original win 7 install too,
win7%20install%20date.jpg
win-install-dates-2016.jpg

Last edited:
I have had a Lian Li "PC-something..." for maybe twelve years. Bought it at CompUSA. Love it. Only thing that ever went "wrong" was the power switch connector wire broke off right at the plug for the switch. I just switched it out with the reset one. Love it. It is the one piece I feel no want or need to upgrade.

I'm only one case removed from still using my original Chieftec Dragon! It's currently boxed up in my basement storage room "just in case," haha. In fact, if it could fit 120+ mm fans in the rear and I didn't get my 700D plus side window panel for $150 total, I'd probably still be using it. A future mod project, no doubt...

I measured from the bump above the IO shield to the edge and got 119mm, I need to get a crappy 120mm fan on the cheap and see if it fits, been planning to do a 2nd rad there, but was going to use a 2x80 because it looked (according to my ruler) that a 120mm would just be shy

I am still using an 18 bay antec case that I purchased in the mid to late 1990s. Back then I made use of the bays with 10K and 15K rpm parallel scsi drives in raid0. Now there are no spinners but 3 SSDs but these just float in the bottom of the case. I have been meaning to replace the case with a home made case made out of oak however I seem to never have time to start the project. As for love of the case. I am not sure. I did love it when I paid $600 for it back then..

I like my modded stacker ST-01, fits a 3x120mm rad at the bottom, but its not much for cable management. I love the wheels though, this beast is heavy!.

I have a second one that can hold a ton of hard drives but its kinda big now that 4TB drives are out. Not the easiest to clean dust filters. Not sure what I will do with it.

Really still like my Antec P180 mini black, back when antec made some solid stuff.

funny enough ive had every single one of these cases, right now im using my CM ST01, my fav would have to be my YY cube, man i miss that thing id buy another for my servers if they werent carrying a premium

I still have my old Cooler Master ATC-201B-BXT sitting in my closet. It is still such a beautiful case but the 80mm fans are too loud.

I have been pretty happy with my HAF 932. It runs 24/7 in my bedroom and is super quiet. The only thing I had to do was put a piece of black tape over the front LED light which lit up the room. The red fans surprisingly don't so I never cared about being able to turn them off.

I do worry about when I replace it soon what I will have to address so as not to interfere with my sleep.

I had an old Chieftec case I used for many, many years. It was built like a tank and would probably have survived a nuclear war. However, as time went on it became more and more outdated so I finally replaced it. I still get a little misty eyed when I think about it.

I still have my Cooler Master Wavemaster case still in my closet. I dont have any clue why I am still holding on to it.

May not be considered an old case but my Rosewill TU-155 was the first case I ever purchased when I started building my own computer. That was back in 2005. I have modded it a bit so that it would stay up with the times and though old (I still use a 92 mm fan out the back and a 80mm fan on the top) it seems to get the job done.

dscn0178s.jpg

I have an Antec P180 that is over 7 years old. Front and side doors are broken. It's quiet and was a nice case for the time but might throw it away soon.

I've had a Thermaltake Lanbox VF6000BWS for the past 6 years on my fiance's rig. It's an amazing mATX case and such a shame that Thermaltake stopped making them (Armor A30 is its obnoxious cousin).

nowindows.gif

I have had a Lian Li "PC-something..." for maybe twelve years. Bought it at CompUSA. Love it. Only thing that ever went "wrong" was the power switch connector wire broke off right at the plug for the switch. I just switched it out with the reset one. Love it. It is the one piece I feel no want or need to upgrade.
Still going with the same case in 2021. I had replaced the power switch some time after my original post; looks like I will need another one soon.

Holy thread necro Batman!

In any case, I had been using 2005 Lian Li case for the past few years. Because of the new cooler I recently got, I had to switch cases and ended up moving to another Lian Li case (Rocketfish branded) that I picked up a couple of years ago. I've only had it in that case for a few weeks and then decided I wanted to do a vertical mount GPU and also have a case that has more than 7 expansion slots so that I can actually have all the PCIe slots available for use.

After doing a bunch of research on new cases, I almost bought an Enthoo case and then came across a Lian Li PC-V2120B case on eBay and bought that.

It fits all my requirements and doesn't have a bunch of plastic like almost all new cases have.

So yeah, I love old higher-end cases. The build quality is superb even though stock cooling and wire management may not be as good as newer plastic-fantastic cases are in that regard.

Nothing a little modding can't fix.

My case preferences have changed over the years, from pure cooling (Corsair 500R and an NZXT Phantom 630) to something a little more subdued and quiet (Currently with a Define S, Define 6 and a Phanteks P600S)

Dust filtration for one thing is largely improved on the newer cases, but the older cases still are in use with some older builds...

I have used my cooler master 912 for many years. It has been a great case and I still use it for random builds here and there.

However, there are a few things that I like the newer cases for:

1. Behind motherboard usability.
2. Power supply at the bottom of the case
3. Design to allow better wire management.
4. Removed Optical Drive cage.
5. lights that could rival a Daft punk concert (Just kidding on the last part, but it seems to be the norm to have a case that could rival small town light houses) :LOL:

I have a Corsair Carbide 300R that I bought about 5 or 6 years ago on sale for about $50 that I just can't find in my heart to get rid of. It's got three 120mm case fans and was designed primarily for good cooling. The build quality is kind of chintzy - as most Corsair stuff feels - compared to more premium case manufactures but I love the butt-ugly black thing. It was noisy as fuck (a hideous annoying buzzing insect sound that I couldn't get rid of at first) because of the case fans but once I replaced the original metal hardware on the fans with rubber screws the buzzing went completely away, and the only noisy thing in it now is a massive 14TB Seagate spinner (and, man, is this thing LOUD!). The only other upgrade I made to it was a plexi-glass side panel. It was also the very first case I owned with cable management (which helped with the cooling). It's just an incredibly cool (as in temperature) & quiet case for me and even though I'm in the middle of a major upgrade (i9 10850K-based) the case will stay.

AxDdApWc6K4Xfi2pVL29Zh-1200-80.jpg

I'm not one for nostalgia. I change cases every few years. Sometimes for no other reason than to change the look of the machine. My Thermaltake WP100 is by far the case I've used the longest, and its functionality and its resemblance to Caselabs cases are probably the reasons why. Also, the fact that few cases can accept 480mm and 420mm radiators is another reason why I've stuck with it. Few cases can handle radiators like that.

I'm still using my Corsair 800D from ~2009. I have no plans to replace it any time soon, as it does everything I need quite well, including being able to easily accommodate my 360mm AIO. I also like the way it looks. Really the only downside so far is that the rubber grommets are getting very brittle.

I still have a CoolerMaster Black on Black Praetorian in box (I used it for years, I'm just one of those guys that keeps boxes). I've tried to sell it a few times, but honestly people won't pay what I want for it (at least $100) and I figure maybe at some point in the future I'll put a new build in it, even though it has inferior cooling compared to modern cases.

I've still been clinging onto my old Lian LI PC-A05N for years and years despite having moved onto a different setup, just looking for the day where I may use it again. It's a sexy case! Just the specs require a specific kind of setup since the video card length is limited, as well as the drive configuration. Currently I'm reusing a Silverstone SG09 that I continue to hang onto, it's the one I went to from the Lian Li. It's easily my favorite matx style case -- IMO it's very well thought out given the goal of trying to fit everything it can into as small of a footprint as possible (tower CPU coolers, full length video cards, 3.5" and 2.5" drives, slot load optical drive, several fans, large PSU).

Holy thread necro Batman!

In any case, I had been using 2005 Lian Li case for the past few years. Because of the new cooler I recently got, I had to switch cases and ended up moving to another Lian Li case (Rocketfish branded) that I picked up a couple of years ago. I've only had it in that case for a few weeks and then decided I wanted to do a vertical mount GPU and also have a case that has more than 7 expansion slots so that I can actually have all the PCIe slots available for use.

After doing a bunch of research on new cases, I almost bought an Enthoo case and then came across a Lian Li PC-V2120B case on eBay and bought that.

It fits all my requirements and doesn't have a bunch of plastic like almost all new cases have.

So yeah, I love old higher-end cases. The build quality is superb even though stock cooling and wire management may not be as good as newer plastic-fantastic cases are in that regard.

Nothing a little modding can't fix.
I spent maybe 2 hours going through my old posts. Sorry to dredge up the dead so to speak. The newer cases I have seen in person have too much plastic, too many lights (anything above zero is too many) and just doesn't seem as well built. I don't upgrade nearly as often either. Graphic cards have gotten ridiculously expensive if you can even find one. I am too old to chase benchmarks and stats.

Hey... it was a thread worth bringing back up. I agree 100% about the newer cases. Cases should only have the power and HDD lights. Why do you need anything else.

I don't mind LED fans IF they are not too bright but silly super lighted cases are just silly.

The PC-V2120B I ordered came today. Boy is it huge and pretty. Going to take me a bit to get it all set up how I want it. Probably not going to bother modding it for vertical GPU mount(s) just yet.. At least not until I get the parts to do so.

My bedroom PC is still housed in my original HAF 932. My current and outdated gaming rig is still in a CM Storm Stryker.

I occasionally check to see what cases are out there for if and when I possibly build a new gaming PC. Nothing has made me go wow let me get that and most airflow reviews weren't positive. Too many windows for cases that are going to sit on the floor with the window facing the wall. I also still use a ton of 3.5 disks so I keep reusing them so I want more than 2 bays.

I can now afford high end cases and there really aren't any anymore.

I used my old PC Power & Cooling full tower from the mid ninties until 2018. Loved that case and only passed it on when the threadripper with cooler was too tall to fit. Fortunately a good home was found and it continues to be used. Darn I miss it.

Attachments

• IMG_20170412_182832.jpg
    IMG_20170412_182832.jpg
    494.4 KB · Views: 0
I used my old PC Power & Cooling full tower from the mid ninties until 2018. Loved that case and only passed it on when the threadripper with cooler was too tall to fit. Fortunately a good home was found and it continues to be used. Darn I miss it.
There was a beauty to cases that were straight up functional =)

Back