Anyone else having poor experience with touch/hand tracking on Rift S?

westrock2000

[H]F Junkie
I had an original Rift with 3 cameras and the hand tracking was rock solid on that setup. But ever since moving to the Rift S, I have found the hand tracking to be deteriorating over time. They keep updating the firmware and software and I keep thinking this might be the time they finally fix it. But no.

I'm not talking about not being able to track your hand behind the display....that's an obvious limitation. I'm talking about where the hands get "stuck" to the ground or they get stuck in some other place and can pivot, but won't move in the 3D space.

Additionally I have found the room tracking to cause problems when playing in low light, or when moving stuff with in the play space. For example, I have a custom made extension for the desk when I want to play Elite Dangerous with my HOTAS. But because the extension sticks out into playable area, often Oculus will require me to redraw the play space. I never had this issue with the 3 cameras. I could even play in the dark with no problem with 3 cameras. That's doesn't now with built-in cameras.

I find myself often having to reboot the computer now to clear up odd hand and head positioning issues. I wish they would allow cameras to assist (optional) in tracking. They were solid.

When the Rift S is able to track, it does a great job. But I find it unable to track quiet often. Is anyone else having this same experience?

Update: Appears to have been a result of a worn out cable. Replaced the cable.

Last edited:
I had an original Rift with 3 cameras and the hand tracking was rock solid on that setup. But ever since moving to the Rift S, I have found the hand tracking to be deteriorating over time. They keep updating the firmware and software and I keep thinking this might be the time they finally fix it. But no.

I'm not talking about not being able to track your hand behind the display....that's an obvious limitation. I'm talking about where the hands get "stuck" to the ground or they get stuck in some other place and can pivot, but won't move in the 3D space.

Additionally I have found the room tracking to cause problems when playing in low light, or when moving stuff with in the play space. For example, I have a custom made extension for the desk when I want to play Elite Dangerous with my HOTAS. But because the extension sticks out into playable area, often Oculus will require me to redraw the play space. I never had this issue with the 3 cameras. I could even play in the dark with no problem with 3 cameras. That's doesn't now with built-in cameras.

I find myself often having to reboot the computer now to clear up odd hand and head positioning issues. I wish they would allow cameras to assist (optional) in tracking. They were solid.

When the Rift S is able to track, it does a great job. But I find it unable to track quiet often. Is anyone else having this same experience?

Something wrong there.

Is your USB port good enough? What's the make and model of your motherboard?

The Rift S needs light as the cameras have to "see" the touch controllers. But, it works in low light conditions, mine works with just a small deskside lamp. It depends on how lowlight you mean.

Is there many very reflective surfaces in the room? Or is everything very much the same color? Like if you have a white sofa and a white desk with a white chair and white carpet, the camera will have no frame of reference as it won't be able to see the difference between the objects. It can lead to problems like you describe of having to redo the guardian setup all the time.

But, from reading your post, it sounds like a USB problem.

It got to be a daily thing, so I went ahead and swapped out the cable as I had bought several months ago. Seems to be ok now. The old cable had several kinks in it, but no cuts in the sleeve or anything. I was surprised at how much thinner the replacement cable is though. Gotta be a good 25%-30% smaller diameter than the original cable. Zero tension with the stock cable clip. Had to use a zip tie to hold the cable in place.

Attachments

• CC7129CA-5959-42FB-95CB-83559C25A10A.jpeg
    CC7129CA-5959-42FB-95CB-83559C25A10A.jpeg
    54.9 KB · Views: 0
Went ahead and measured the outside diameter difference.

Original cable is 6.5mm
New is 5mm.

Whoa. Is the replacement cable an original Oculus cable? That is a huge difference in thickness.

That's a big difference!! Does it feel much lighter?
Whoa. Is the replacement cable an original Oculus cable? That is a huge difference in thickness.

The cable is official product ordered from Oculus website and shipped from Facebook. The cable was immediatly noticable. I have been unwinding the headset when the kids were done with for a couple months trying to prolong the lifespan of the old cable. So I was pretty used to the feel of the cable. But once I put it in the clip is was very obvious. The old cable was really snug inside the strain relief clip. The new one freely moves around inside the clip.

I wouldn't worry about the cable for adults. But I have a 3, 7, & 10 year old that use this thing multiple times a day and they are not very considerate to the cable. The old one endured quiet a bit of abuse.

Have you asked or tried to contact Oculus as to why the replacement cable is so much thinner than the original? How much did they charge you for the replacement?

Back