Anyone else had trouble re-adjusting after disabling Enhanced Pointer Precision?

I just got a new budget gaming mouse (Steelseries Rival 310) to replace my old one (Corsair Raptor M45) due to it's middle button not clicking about 75% of the time and now the left button was starting to go. And after fighting and dealing with Steelseries trying their hardest to trick me into installing their new bloatware over the old mouse software, I got it installed.

And one of the first things the software talked about in it's settings was that it recommends I disable Enhanced Pointer Precision. I never realized I had this on (I now know Windows defaults it to on) and I read up about it and just about everywhere said that while it's not a game-changer, they recommend it being off for gaming, so I accepted disabling it. And now, everything just feels off. I am constantly moving my mouse without looking and clicking... only for nothing to happen and for me to realize that I undershot or overshot something that I used to click on without even thinking about it. And it just feels difficult to click on smaller icons with precision now, I am circling around them to get the pointer over the icon when I used to again just not even think about moving my hand to do it.

I know what the feature does, I read about it, I just wanted to ask from others who had gotten used to it being on for years and then disabled it, did it take a while for your muscle memory to readjust? I have been using computer keyboards and mice daily for nearly three decades but now I feel like I am using a mouse for the first time again.

Your DPI is probably way too high and you were using mouse acceleration as a crutch.

Try something like 800 DPI on the desktop.

800 was the default "slow" setting on this new mouse, but I find it way too slow for me. I need to lift my mouse off the pad three times to move the cursor from one end of the screen to the other with acceleration off and the mouse set to 800, while I would almost never lift the mouse off the pad before.

My previous mouse now that I double-checked I had it set to 2400, this new one though feels like it moves faster than my old one when I set it to 2400 too.

800 was the default "slow" setting on this new mouse, but I find it way too slow for me. I need to lift my mouse off the pad three times to move the cursor from one end of the screen to the other with acceleration off and the mouse set to 800, while I would almost never lift the mouse off the pad before.

My previous mouse now that I double-checked I had it set to 2400, this new one though feels like it moves faster than my old one when I set it to 2400 too.

How big is your mouse pad? 800 DPI means for every inch you move the mouse the cursor moves 800 pixels. That's 2.4 inches to traverse across a 1920x1080 screen.
Unless you have some other form of mouse acceleration, mouse smoothing, or weird setting messing with your input.

It's a big mousepad, but I can't use all of it because of limited space. I just measured it, and roughly 7 inches horizontal and 10 inches vertical is unobstructed. Though obviously I can't use ever last inch of that since the mouse would bump into things close to it.

It's a big mousepad, but I can't use all of it because of limited space. I just measured it, and roughly 7 inches horizontal and 10 inches vertical is unobstructed. Though obviously I can't use ever last inch of that since the mouse would bump into things close to it.
There is definitely some setting slowing your mouse speed down more than it's native input.

What do you have your pointer speed set to? his guide goes through all the settings https://eliteownage.com/mouseguide.html

I never even messed with my Windows mouse speed settings, they are at default:

MouseSettings.png

... wait, why would it be better if I set Windows's pointer speed higher instead of setting the mouse itself higher?

... wait, why would it be better if I set Windows's pointer speed higher instead of setting the mouse itself higher?
Because the windows slider effects the settings on your mouse software.

The mouse software does not disable the Windows mouse settings.

the windows mouse settings should be on the default setting to reflect proper DPI in the mouse software.

https://eliteownage.com/mouseguide.html

Last edited:
the windows mouse settings should be on the default setting to reflect proper DPI in the mouse software.
I am confused, in the previous post you told me to set it to max, now you are saying it should be at default which is right in the middle.

I am confused, in the previous post you told me to set it to max, now you are saying it should be at default which is right in the middle.
The confusion has been cleared up. I corrected the post for anyone who finds this later.

Windows need to be on the default setting, for the DPI to scale properly in the mouse software.

Ok, well that's not an issue then, as mentioned I never changed those settings, it's on default. The only speed settings I changed was on the mouse software itself, not Windows settings. Other than disabling the acceleration in Windows.

Ok, well that's not an issue then, as mentioned I never changed those settings, it's on default. The only speed settings I changed was on the mouse software itself, not Windows settings. Other than disabling the acceleration in Windows.
What are your settings in the mouse software?

What are your settings in the mouse software?
I set it to make the switch switch between 800 and 2400 for now. 2400 feels more natural for me, though it feels like it's a bit faster than my previous mouse, which I also used at 2400 (though this was with acceleration on).

Back