Anyone else fed up with PC gaming?

Yes, My gaming in general though over the last 6 years has drastically dropped. I think for me it is more that it feels like I have played everything I want to play and the big releases everyone gets excited for don't grab me. I need some sort of breakthrough whether it is AI or something else that would get me excited for gaming again. BF4 and The Division 2, which I bought during the $3 sale are what the last games I played at this point.

Take the whole Dark Soul genre if you will. I would play to relax so difficult games would just be stressful and frustrating to me. I always get excited for these games since they look like something I would enjoy until I find they are another Dark Souls type game. I thought Elden Ring looked cool until I watched more videos and realized it was similar to Dark Souls in the difficulty.

The MMO genre all but died. BF4 was the last FPS I enjoyed and Battlefield used to be my reason to build a new PC. BF1 and BFV and now BF2042 gave me little reason to upgrade. I don't even have a working GPU at this point and as stock starts to come back to more normal levels I just can't figure out what I would build a gaming PC to play. Some of the Sony releases and games like Red Dead 2 now being on PC interest me, but not enough to justify dropping the money on an all new gaming setup considering all of mine is 8 years old or so at this point. I keep collecting all the free games from Steam, GOG, and Epic just in case I come back. I would love to have a reason to come back and I still look at new hardware in case. I just don't find myself really going down the rabbit hole though to research though.

Yes, there have been several major and medium profile releases in the past two years, which have launched with widespread issues and have taken 2+ months to really fix up to a solid experience. Its very annoying.
Why people need to stop buying pre-launch games, let it come out, let them ship it and bloody wait a month or 2, start forcing companies to release solid games on launch, not have every epeen hungry person buying it months before so they already got their money.

I'm fed up with game publishers getting away with rampant microtransactions, employee abuse, and all sorts of other horrible bullshit.

Meh after what some employees have 'enthusiastically' produced as games to the end user, I'm less concerned with them TBH, they can look out and stand up for themselves. Microtransactions though, I agree are annoying

The only 'recent-ish' game to do it right IMO/that I played was Division 1 - I think except for less than a literal handful of items at most, you could win all the items/clothing/weapons in game grinding instead of paying. And not a super ridiculous technical but never achievable grind - the normal type of grind for a looter shooter like division that normal players (not even just hardcore) would do.

Even in single player story games now, you have so many "editions" and insignificant DLCs, it's just dumb. But, someone's buying it or they wouldn't keep doing it.

Guess you better sell your PC and every other electronic device you own then cause employee abuse happens in all those industries...
I never said I was stopping playing PC games. I can still be upset about the actions of those companies.

I 'm 51 and remember my first experiences from gaming on the Atari 2600 and onward with fondness. Yet, I did not get into harcore pc gaming outside of the random Warcraft session back in 1998 until 2003. That was the year I played Call of Duty and it's expansion pack United Offensive. I'd never felt so immersed into a game world until I played the SP campaigns of those games. What really hooked me was the year 2007 and we were gifted with Modern Warfare, Bioshock and my favorite game of all time on the pc which is S.t.a.l.k.e.r. SOC and all it's sequels and mods since then. Unfortunately Call of Duty died a long time ago for me and Stalker 2 has been delayed so that leaves me with very little in the pc space i truly enjoy playing. That said, I have filled up my free time teaching myself how to build pictures frames and learning carpentry and furniture building. I'm retired at 51 and was really looking forward to long days of pc gaming . I even purchased a few new old stock 21" crt monitors in order to setup an old school triple crt monitor station for some hardcore Stalker 2 sessions in the future. Outside of that I see a vast amount of games that don't really appeal to me and to be honest I don't think I'm the target demographic of game developers anymore. The games being made today seem to be made for kids with ADD or who get off on as much stimulation as possible while gaming. There's simply too many new mechanics to learn and too much happening on screen at once for these old eyes. I see my future days of gaming being filled with hours of getting lost in recent open world games and a return to the classics of my childhood via emulation and playing and beating many of the old games I couldn't afford when I was a kid. I think the future is bright for old gamers like myself but the days of me waiting on the next triple A release or the latest and greatest hardware are long gone.......

PC gamer since my 1st Gateway 2000. Learned about the Celeron 300 & overclocking "back in the day" and built all of my own boxes since (however, I bought 2 pre-builts to cannibalize).

Worst probs I've had with PC are dying hard drives & ram.

Worst PC GAME issues I've had were all due to installing MODS.

MOD probs suck, but the benefits far outweigh the probs IMO.

I haven't had many hardware issues for the past 5+ years. Last issue I really had was the launch of Ryzen (got the Threadripper 1800 I think) and the crappy 200/300 series chipsets. Once the 400 series of chipsets came out and I replaced the mobo....been smooth sailing. I don't tune/overclock PC's anymore though which I think helps a lot on the stability front. I just build the PC, install Windows (currently using 11), and just let it be. Its enough for me at this age and everything runs fine.

The issue is I find myself spending more time diagnosing problems than actually playing games. I spent 20 hours trying to get MSFS to not be a stuttering mess, even at 200fps, before giving up and uninstalling it. I've got hours into just getting my games to play on the display that I want (I have 3) and still not much success.

/Rant.
Why even use a three monitor display if it causes you consistent problems? Having three monitors is one of those things that sounds cool, but unless you have a specific situation that necessitates that setup (e.g. work), I would personally go back to one screen. It's more or less a shitty gimmick, so I'm not surprised you're giving yourself headaches with such a setup.

At my work I was allowed to use any monitor setup I wanted, and I found that even just two monitors was more effective than three for project-oriented work (three takes up too much space and was a diminished return).

As an IT guy, all the problems I fix are at work. When I come home, I expect my PC to work flawlessly and without issue. If I run into even the slightest issue, I will quickly fix it before it snowballs with other issues. For the most part, I'm actually surprised how well the PC works for gaming considering the vast variety of setups people use.

I never said I was stopping playing PC games. I can still be upset about the actions of those companies.
For sure, but it does show all of our's level of "upset-ness?" when we are not willing to vote with our wallets and just continue to support these companies. I mean, reality is, and we all know it, unless you can get millions of people to boycott these companies, it wont make any difference in the end

For sure, but it does show all of our's level of "upset-ness?" when we are not willing to vote with our wallets and just continue to support these companies. I mean, reality is, and we all know it, unless you can get millions of people to boycott these companies, it wont make any difference in the end
I tend not to buy games from the companies who are the most egregious about these practices, but yes, as you said basically all large corporations pull this shit, so you sort of have to pick your battles.

No.
I've been gaming more now, than in previous years. Had a gap of time where I wasn't doing any sort of gaming (lack of resources, unemployment, etc..) ... Son is older and into gaming as well, so that helps out some.. and as I'm older, i have to be more mindful of time management and not get too caught up lol

Why even use a three monitor display if it causes you consistent problems? Having three monitors is one of those things that sounds cool, but unless you have a specific situation that necessitates that setup (e.g. work), I would personally go back to one screen. It's more or less a shitty gimmick, so I'm not surprised you're giving yourself headaches with such a setup.

At my work I was allowed to use any monitor setup I wanted, and I found that even just two monitors was more effective than three for project-oriented work (three takes up too much space and was a diminished return).

As an IT guy, all the problems I fix are at work. When I come home, I expect my PC to work flawlessly and without issue. If I run into even the slightest issue, I will quickly fix it before it snowballs with other issues. For the most part, I'm actually surprised how well the PC works for gaming considering the vast variety of setups people use.
This. As someone who used 3 30" in portrait mode for awhile, I am very glad I switched to a single 40" 4k TV instead. I use that and my laptop screen and it works flawlessly and gives me the real estate I need for photo editing, writing, multitasking,and of course gaming and watching video.

With the quality and relative affordability of good large 4k TVs, I feel there is next to no need for triple monitor displays.

I think it's a matter of perspective. Games are incredibly complex and have to run on lots of different hardware/software. I remember when games would just randomly crash for no reason and there was no solution and we all just had to live with it. I remember the original Crysis crashing multiple times with people on the boards complaining about it and it was never fully patched away. Yet the game was revered for being such a technological leap and introduced new gameplay elements that made it easy to take the bad with the good.

Today there are so many similar games, there is even a lexicon for it "That's like game A meets game B." For the every rehashed game today, it's a not quite as sweet as it used to be. The bad seems to sour a little more.

I also remember Steam being the most hated piece of software in every gaming community. Back when a few hundred mhz would result in noticeable framerate, bloatware like Steam in the early 2000s would noticeably interrupt a game and be generally a worse experience than not using it. Both in its performance and intrusive operation were a pain to deal with. Two decades later and it's a far cry from what it used to be but it's still nowhere near the smooth experience one would expect given their market share. And developers have very little to work with. What most gamers don't realize is that Steam's API very often goes down, fails, doesn't communicate, and is generally not a reliable solution 365/24/7. Outside of the largest and most popular games, you'd be surprised how often things break on the backend and how little support Steam provides, especially for the smaller games. So while it's easy to point the finger at developers, publishers, marketplace, the reality is there are tons of requirements for very complicated software to talk to each other and operate without a hitch.

I also remember Steam being the most hated piece of software in every gaming community.
Could be because I was hanging more with people that used steam purely has a marketplace, installer ? But I do remember being beloved, I mean in the earlys 2000s how many title would have been steam exclusive and would have required anyone that hated it to use it at all to start with ?

Could be because I was hanging more with people that used steam purely has a marketplace, installer ? But I do remember being beloved, I mean in the earlys 2000s how many title would have been steam exclusive and would have required anyone that hated it to use it at all to start with ?
Counter-Strike 1.6 requiring Steam was a huge stinging point within the community. I remember threads in other corners of the internet full of people swearing they would never move on from 1.3 or 1.5.

people absolutely hated needing it in 2003/2004 for cs, hl2, etc

it wasn't beloved at first because of all the usual arguments of privacy, drm, etc - and how shit and jank it was back then as I commented earlier just lead to more of these negative feelings (I never had problems/objections with any of the former, just the latter)

valve/hl2's/cs/css popularity and the eventually fixed convenience of it all won out though - I don't recall anyone really complaining much around 2005 onward really

Could be it not being around Counter strike type of players during those days.

My memories of that eras is being so marvelous for someone with unlimited internet after a format/new pc install, but maybe I never had any game that required for it to be on.

I feel the most hated in every gaming community to still feel quite overblown, it does not match the popularity of it, it would be a bit like saying amazon/facebook are the most hated things, even if they are 2 of the most beloved entity/product on earth, but really really hated by vocals minorities of people.

Could be it not being around Counter strike type of players during those days.

My memories of that eras is being so marvelous for someone with unlimited internet after a format/new pc install, but maybe I never had any game that required for it to be on.

I feel the most hated in every gaming community to still feel quite overblown, it does not match the popularity of it, it would be a bit like saying amazon/facebook are the most hated things, even if they are 2 of the most beloved entity/product on earth, but really really hated by vocals minorities of people.
Dialup was still by far the most common internet service when Steam launched. ISDN was a luxury, and cable was a fever dream. When Steam launched in 2003, growth was slow. It peaked at round 60k daily concurrent users a few months before Half-Life 2 released. The boost from HL2 pushed user count up to around 2 million. Steam wouldn't see significant growth until the store was launched in earnest around 2007-2008 with AAA third-party titles, when Valve snagged the GTA trilogy and GTA IV would release at the end of 2008. Users grow to around 10-15 million at this point. Moving on into the following decade would see the number of users explode in earnest, growing by a factor of 10 at the end of 2020.

It was slow to catch on, but I feel Valve was reading the tea leaves and saw where the industry was going. Because of the era in when it launched, it was painful, but I think people quickly caught on the issue of providing good service on the PC platform that Steam brought along once the store came into its own. There is only a small minority who have petty grievances against Steam these days, but when it initially launched there was certainly a lot of consternation to go around.

Edit to add that, coincidentally, the GTA trilogy on the Steam store was my first ever digital purchase of a game on PC. Everything else had been retail boxes up to that point.

Last edited:
people absolutely hated needing it in 2003/2004 for cs, hl2, etc

it wasn't beloved at first because of all the usual arguments of privacy, drm, etc - and how shit and jank it was back then as I commented earlier just lead to more of these negative feelings (I never had problems/objections with any of the former, just the latter)

valve/hl2's/cs/css popularity and the eventually fixed convenience of it all won out though - I don't recall anyone really complaining much around 2005 onward really

Exactly. I didn't like Steam when I first installed it. Made the install take longer, launching took longer, and it was just another barrier to load up a game while adding nothing useful. Of course the auto patching was nice, which I recall was essentially a day 1 feature.

I liked the IDEA of steam, just not how it was implemented early on. From a developer stand point I get that they needed to get it out to start getting real data to drive improvements but it was a huge shift from the individual games and WAN servers. I hung onto those until they died :( Steam brought a lot of great things to the table but it was not smooth and did have some system hits that once sorted it was not a big deal. I adopted quickly to those solid aspects but it could be rough until those issues were fixed.

I am fed up with the splintering of my PC game "collections" across all the dang game stores / platforms. When a game goes on sale, I have to open 5 apps to see if I already have that specific game and I have bought a few dupes over the years.

ie: I bought a game during a steam sale to play eventually because I have a backlog ahead of that one - but the price was right. When I finally played one of those games, I loved it and looked for other games in the series and found that publisher was not on steam anymore or it was a platform exclusive for 1 year or whatever, so I had to make several accounts / install several apps BF, EA, origin, UBI, EPIC, xbox WIN store app, etc. Really sick of that crap.

Has anyone tried GOG / Galaxy of Games launcher to manage multiple game stores / platforms?

I bought 2 games from the GOG store and later learned that I can link my steam and some other accounts to see almost all of my games through one interface (it doesn't work with every single store / platforms). I was leery to do it because IDK about their security and if my game accounts could be hacked or whatnot.

Reactions: ncjoe
like this
I haven't had a major issue with a PC game in years. The last one I had was owning an ATI card when RAGE was released. So I gave it to a friend, and bought an Nvidia card. :p I've had minor problems here or there, like having to figure out a game needs forced VSync to not tear or something like that, but largely every game I put on my PC just runs. I have been playing more games on my Switch than PC, just because I can play them anywhere, or when the TV is in use, or when I don't want to sit at a desk in my studio, etc. However, since Elden Ring came out, I've been glued to my PC. Elden Ring had a few minor issues when it came out too, (still has one or two) but nothing game-breaking for me. PC gaming is fine. You just need to run a clean system. Steam helps a lot too. Things get patched there quickly, things work well there in the first place, and I can stream to my MacBook when I want to play in a room where one of my PCs is not. I belong to the PC+Switch club. :D

Just GPU prices right now but I'll settled on my 3070 thankfully the scalpers lost a year and a half later. I want a 3080ti but I know once I plug it in I'll forget about it. When the 4000s series comes out I'll really forget about it. Plus I game at 1080P so upgrading isn't really important.

With games I'll never live long enough to play the good stuff lets say the good stuff is 15 years away I'll be 62 old as hell. Then you have game delays I mean Camelot Unchained has all game delays beat announced in 2013. The thing the people who created PC games are getting older too so the next gen of PC games might just suck anyway.

The thing when you get older your going to think everything sucks not just PC games.

Last edited:
I am fed up with the splintering of my PC game "collections" across all the dang game stores / platforms. When a game goes on sale, I have to open 5 apps to see if I already have that specific game and I have bought a few dupes over the years.

ie: I bought a game during a steam sale to play eventually because I have a backlog ahead of that one - but the price was right. When I finally played one of those games, I loved it and looked for other games in the series and found that publisher was not on steam anymore or it was a platform exclusive for 1 year or whatever, so I had to make several accounts / install several apps BF, EA, origin, UBI, EPIC, xbox WIN store app, etc. Really sick of that crap.

Has anyone tried GOG / Galaxy of Games launcher to manage multiple game stores / platforms?

I bought 2 games from the GOG store and later learned that I can link my steam and some other accounts to see almost all of my games through one interface (it doesn't work with every single store / platforms). I was leery to do it because IDK about their security and if my game accounts could be hacked or whatnot.

It doesn't help if you hate GOG's launcher

The easiest solution for me was to only pay attention to three game stores. - Everything outside Steam, Origin and UBI can be had on another platform.

It also helps that I have universally hated all Blizzard games

GOG Galaxy is an easy tool to use. Every plugin I've tried except the one for Rockstar Games works. I like the simple interface enough that I use it for my GOG games, even if it's not required.
It doesn't help if you hate GOG's launcher

The easiest solution for me was to only pay attention to three game stores. - Everything outside Steam, Origin and UBI can be had on another platform.

It also helps that I have universally hated all Blizzard games
There are other programs out there that does what GOG Galaxy can do. Playnite is a good one, and it's open source. There is also Lutris for Linux.

GOG Galaxy is an easy tool to use. Every plugin I've tried except the one for Rockstar Games works. I like the simple interface enough that I use it for my GOG games, even if it's not required.

There are other programs out there that does what GOG Galaxy can do. Playnite is a good one, and it's open source. There is also Lutris for Linux.

Yeah Steam and GOG for me. I have most of my classic games in GOG (though a bit of overlap back and forth). I like GOG and what they "stand for" so I go there when I can. I get most of the big stuff in Steam though, because I know it will just work. I also have an Index, and play on my living room TV a lot, so Big Picture is nice.

PC gaming has been cake for me for a while once I stopped doing certain things. My lessons:

1) Just buy the fastest card and stay away from SLI/Crossfire. The industry seems to have joined me in this conclusion.
2) Game on one monitor. You can have more for productivity, but monitor 1 is your gaming monitor and build your screen setup around that.
3) If you are playing day one, it's usually best if you exceed the recommended spec (other than #1 above). That's what they really test with other than the minimum spec it doesn't set on fire.

My three displays consist of two 27" 4K monitors and one 65" 4K TV. If I'm at my computer I have the two 27" monitors on and TV off, but if I want to plop down on the couch and play a game on the TV, having that option is really nice. I'm generally not trying to use all three at the same time - either the two monitors or the one TV.

Last week I tried out Display Fusion and that's working pretty well to solve the display issues I was having. I was able to configure a shortcut (Alt + left) to set the two 27" monitors on and the TV off, and another shortcut (Alt + right) to set the two monitors off and the TV on.

However, now I'm running into an issue completely unrelated to gaming. I'm a .NET developer and use my own PC for personal projects. Windows isn't letting me install any development certs in Trusted Root Certification Authorities. So I'm about to reinstall Windows after exhausting all other options. When it rains it pours hah! Oh well, happy I've sorted out most of my gaming-related issues for now.

PC gaming has been cake for me for a while once I stopped doing certain things. My lessons:

1) Just buy the fastest card and stay away from SLI/Crossfire. The industry seems to have joined me in this conclusion.
2) Game on one monitor. You can have more for productivity, but monitor 1 is your gaming monitor and build your screen setup around that.
3) If you are playing day one, it's usually best if you exceed the recommended spec (other than #1 above). That's what they really test with other than the minimum spec it doesn't set on fire.

Good advice. I know I'll have to turn in my [H] badge for this, but I haven't OCed in probably a decade. I just buy the speed I want from the start for a build. I also don't benchmark anymore. That fun left the building for me when I started having less free time. I'd rather put all that OC testing and benching into playing, and doing the other things I enjoy doing. I know for some, that IS the fun of PC building, and that is totally cool. I personally don't think high-end gaming and OCing go together as well as some people think. At least if you want to install and play with zero effort.

Good advice. I know I'll have to turn in my [H] badge for this, but I haven't OCed in probably a decade. I just buy the speed I want from the start for a build. I also don't benchmark anymore. That fun left the building for me when I started having less free time. I'd rather put all that OC testing and benching into playing, and doing the other things I enjoy doing. I know for some, that IS the fun of PC building, and that is totally cool. I personally don't think high-end gaming and OCing go together as well as some people think. At least if you want to install and play with zero effort.
No real need to OC these days since most silicon is already being pushed close to the limit out of the box. It's weird to me how some people think that performance should be left on the table so they can manually squeeze the rest out.

No real need to OC these days since most silicon is already being pushed close to the limit out of the box. It's weird to me how some people think that performance should be left on the table so they can manually squeeze the rest out.

Definitely. I mean, with an unlocked multiplier, you can probably go up one step reliably, maybe a tiny bit more, but honestly, that's really not going to improve real-world performance much, if any. Same on GPUs. You might get a couple of frames, but with Free/G Sync, or running synced at 60-240 with VSync, it wouldn't matter in the slightest, as long as you can maintain whatever you're syncing to.

I guess if you're still playing competitive Quake 3 on a CRT, and need 7,453FPS, then sure, OC a bit. :p

My three displays consist of two 27" 4K monitors and one 65" 4K TV. If I'm at my computer I have the two 27" monitors on and TV off, but if I want to plop down on the couch and play a game on the TV, having that option is really nice. I'm generally not trying to use all three at the same time - either the two monitors or the one TV.

Last week I tried out Display Fusion and that's working pretty well to solve the display issues I was having. I was able to configure a shortcut (Alt + left) to set the two 27" monitors on and the TV off, and another shortcut (Alt + right) to set the two monitors off and the TV on.

However, now I'm running into an issue completely unrelated to gaming. I'm a .NET developer and use my own PC for personal projects. Windows isn't letting me install any development certs in Trusted Root Certification Authorities. So I'm about to reinstall Windows after exhausting all other options. When it rains it pours hah! Oh well, happy I've sorted out most of my gaming-related issues for now.

I have a decent living room PC in the cabinet, and definitely enjoy it on the TV as long as it's not a first person shooter. In that case, I'll play in my office. Doom Eternal on the ultrawide in there is definitely a nice experience. The living room TV is right on the other side of the wall from my office/studio setup, so theoretically, I could just run a cable through the wall. I have the junctions in place. I just found it's easier to run a nice PC out on both sides though. Less swapping of things, and easier with tailored control schemes for each location.

I've got an ultrawide on my studio game/music machine setup, then a 40" over my bench to display schematics and PCB layouts on for when I'm building. So nice not having to zoom in all the time to get part designators, etc.

Reactions: Epos7
like this
PC for life! While my old Sega, Sony, and Nintendo consoles still see light of day occasionally, you will never catch me playing FPS games with a d-pad.

My spare bedroom is also the AGP zone. Early socket A, later socket A running nForce2, and socket 939 system.

What I did get fed up with long LONG ago was the trickle down of new hardware tech to maximize profits. And how convoluted just loading a game has become. Online launchers be damned. My early socket A running Win98 I can be in game fragging after start button in fraction of time. To me gameplay trumps super uber graphics every time. Red Faction game for $5. Plays great on the voodoo 4.

[edit]
As for overclocking. That golden age has long past. To this day I can still easily OC my unlocked T-bred 1700+ by 1,100mhz on air. To same speeds and greater than 3200+ costing over five times as much at the time. Not going to see that again anytime soon.

Last edited:
It's all about undervolting now. But even in that case I'll put an hour into it and call it good; I'm not about to test every single option in an effort to gain 1fps or save 1C.

Reactions: ncjoe
like this
I wouldn't say I'm fed up with it...but I def decided not to make an effort to care about modern PC gaming. Mainly, with the separation of storefronts and places trying to spread my money around multiple places...I'm just not interested. So, it has helped me focus more on going back in the catalog and playing my older titles that I already own. Besides, it's not like I truly need to buy anymore games. Between my modded consoles and 2000+ Steam Library, I'm set up until death.

Back