Anybody upgrade an Intel Compute Stick to Windows 10?

Deadjasper

2[H]4U
This one currently has Windows 8 on it. It does meet the minimum requirements (just barely). I'm on my third attempt now. Keep getting a "Windows 10 failed to install" message then back to Windows 8. First attempt it said there was not enough space, said to plug in a USB drive of at least 10GB free space. I did and the upgrade continued but still ended up with the same message. I just stripped it down to the bare minimum and am trying again.

Anybody been there done that?

How are you trying to upgrade? Are you trying to do it via Windows Update or similar? If so, it will first attempt to download the install files onto the tiny storage of the compute stick, and then install the OS. Those temporary install files might be taking up unnecessary space that could make the difference. Use the Media Creation Tool to put the Windows 10 install files on a USB flash drive, and then try to install Windows 10 from the install files on the flash drive. That should not require as much temporary space on the compute stick.

Yea, I plugged in an empty 64GB flash drive so there's plenty of space.

I noticed the BIOS was old, from 2015. Latest BIOS is 2019. I updated the BIOS and am giving it another go as I type this.

As pathetic as this thing is I'm surprised it will run Windows at all. Ran Crystal Disk Mark and the HD is about on par with a low end spinner. It some kind of weird drive from Kingston. Something I've never heard of.

Yea, I plugged in an empty 64GB flash drive so there's plenty of space.

Plugging in an empty USB drive and hoping that Windows will actually utilize it is really not the same as actually loading the Windows install files on the USB drive manually and initiating the install/upgrade directly from the setup.exe on the flash drive. You really want as few temporary files on the internal storage as possible when you are that space limited.

As pathetic as this thing is I'm surprised it will run Windows at all. Ran Crystal Disk Mark and the HD is about on par with a low end spinner. It some kind of weird drive from Kingston. Something I've never heard of.

The storage is probably closer to what you would get on an SD card, as opposed to an SSD. Sadly, you see this often on many cheap Window 10 S-Mode laptops.

I tried to do the upgrade from a USB drive and got the message "Your system is not compatible with this version of Windows."

Updating the BIOS didn't help when using the Media Creation Tool.

Gonna give it a rest. Maybe some new info will surface.

EDIT: The installer did ask to use the flash drive during install but still got the fail message.

It's running 32 bit Windows 8.1 but that's because it only has 2GB of ram I presume. The stick itself is 64 bit.

Well, you can't upgrade from 32-bit to 64-bit. You would need to do a clean install of Windows 10 64-bit. Or, potentially upgrade your existing install to Windows 10 32-bit. The Windows 10 install files that you put on the USB drive, were they for the 32-bit or 64-bit version of Windows 10?

After some more searching I've decided to stick with Windows 8.1.

1. Even tho the ICS is a 64 bit device you cannot install 64 bit Windows on it. Only 32 bit version. The reason isn't clear.
2. People are reports tons of problems with Windows update breaking their ICS.
3. The ICS seems to be a bastard child of Intel that nobody really wants to claim.
4. Given it's speed, storage space and low memory it really isn't worth wasting time trying to shoehorn Windows 10 on it.

Just gonna let this old dog be.

its locked into 32bit mode, not sure if it on chip or in bios, but ive run into it on a stick and on netbooks.

its locked into 32bit mode, not sure if it on chip or in bios, but ive run into it on a stick and on netbooks.
None of them are restricted to 32-bit. https://www.intel.com/content/www/u...000023437/intel-nuc/intel-compute-sticks.html
Edit: it's possible that some models are using 32-bit UEFI.

The problem is probably minimal specs. I own a low end model & even a Linux distro with a desktop environment runs horribly. Running a purely command line version of Windows (like Core) or Linux would be best for optimal performance.

Last edited:
Back