Anybody plan on grabbing one of the new RX7xxx Navi cards on launch?

The Gigabyte 7900 XT OC and XFX Speedster Merc310 Ultra/Black 7900 XT are in the same price range, too - so there's a few more choices. However, they're all in the $900 USD price (equivalent). I have only read personal reviews (customers who bought them and posted online - although, I asked a couple of them about their cards). So far, they are happy with them.
I want a quiet card, though - so, whatever is most quiet out of these although I understand the AMD-based/centric cards are usually preferred (i.e. XFX, Sapphire - out of these).
I doubt they'd get in the $800 USD/equivalent in my country, any time soon. 'Would be good, though.
I would put the Gigabyte OC in the same category as the MSI card and the XFX Merc above all the others including the Saphire Pulse, it's closer to the Saphire Nitro than the Pulse. I'm more familiar with 7900xtx cards and for that the XFX Merc is the loudest of the high end cards but not by much and it can be brought in line with the others by tweaking the fan profile(I haven't bothered on mine), it should also still be quieter without doing anything than any of the more base level cards. The 7900xt cards seem to be using similar coolers to the xtx versions so the equivalent models should perform similarly. Also if you want quiet make sure that your case has good airflow and while we're on the subject of cases make sure your case can fit the Merc if you look at it because they tend to be longer than many cards.

You mentioned a $200 gap which puts it in the same ballpark, that's also the pretax price.

I have both XFX merc 7900XT and XTX and both are very cool nice and quiet on the bios switch low and both really fly on the high bios switch albeit quite a bit louder. I usually run them on the low power switch position and limit max power slider to keep excess heat to a minimum.

I would put the Gigabyte OC in the same category as the MSI card and the XFX Merc above all the others including the Saphire Pulse, it's closer to the Saphire Nitro than the Pulse. I'm more familiar with 7900xtx cards and for that the XFX Merc is the loudest of the high end cards but not by much and it can be brought in line with the others by tweaking the fan profile(I haven't bothered on mine), it should also still be quieter without doing anything than any of the more base level cards. The 7900xt cards seem to be using similar coolers to the xtx versions so the equivalent models should perform similarly. Also if you want quiet make sure that your case has good airflow and while we're on the subject of cases make sure your case can fit the Merc if you look at it because they tend to be longer than many cards.

You mentioned a $200 gap which puts it in the same ballpark, that's also the pretax price.
TPU reviewed the Merc310 XTX and had the XT version listed in their Pulse XT review. It appears to be a loud card according to them? The Pulse - appears impressive, though.
https://www.techpowerup.com/review/sapphire-radeon-rx-7900-xt-pulse/35.html

I have read personal reviews of the Gigabyte and MSI cards - they seem to be okay. But, the Sapphire and Pulse cards are only $20-$30 more. The XFX seems to have a lot of variations - 'was wondering why and what is the difference between the Ultra and Black series. :)
My case (Phanteks P500A has pretty good airflow - and I'll improve it a bit more with another fan) should be fine for air flow and fitting long graphics cards.
I have both XFX merc 7900XT and XTX and both are very cool nice and quiet on the bios switch low and both really fly on the high bios switch albeit quite a bit louder. I usually run them on the low power switch position and limit max power slider to keep excess heat to a minimum.
Please read above. :) What's a 'power slider?'

I don't have a preference between all these cards - they all look 'equally' good to me - but, the price is already pretty high in my area - so I wouldn't go any higher. I'd only pick between those ones.
I just looked at a video review - and they (7900 XT) seem pretty decent compared to Nvdia in Davinci Resolve (which shocked me) - which makes me want one now. : ) My used 3080 was only half the price, though. Well, almost. :-(

Edit: P.S. The MSI and Gigabyte cards have the dual bios - silent options. The Pulse review - was under 30db at load, gaming - that's great, if that's an accurate example of what one could expect!

Last edited:
TPU reviewed the Merc310 XTX and had the XT version listed in their Pulse XT review. It appears to be a loud card according to them? The Pulse - appears impressive, though.
https://www.techpowerup.com/review/sapphire-radeon-rx-7900-xt-pulse/35.html
It does appear that the Pulse is quieter at stock settings than the Merc but it's running warmer and slower. The merc runs much quieter if you adjust the fan curve to let it run slightly warmer before ramping up that last bit that gets louder, like I said I haven't bothered on my xtx because it hasn't been an issue for me and I like my cards quiet. Also if you look at the chart on the bottom of that page that shows temps at 35db the merc is 5 degrees cooler. So if you don't want to bother changing the fan curve then the pulse looks quieter but otherwise I stand by my original assessment.

Hey us old farts don't hear that well anymore and aircraft carrier flight decks are a very loud occupation so to me it's quiet. The card driver adrenaline control panel power control slider under the tuning header.
Haha, okay. I had a really loud EVGA 3060 XC and it sounded like a jet airliner taking off when gaming - I gave it to a friend - and I hope I don't have to help RMA it - jury is still out if it's normal or something wrong with it. I have an ASUS Tuf 3080 that is really nice and quiet playing the same game(s). I would be interested in a 7900 XT that is similarly quiet if at all possible. :) It's so different than the EVGA card. :)
Hey, I consider myself an old fart too but I need to avoid airliner cards.

I can barely hear the xtx over my 140mm exhaust fan. The exhaust fan is 3000 rpm capable and tuned to ramp with cpu temp so it can get a buzz on when needed.😎

It does appear that the Pulse is quieter at stock settings than the Merc but it's running warmer and slower. The merc runs much quieter if you adjust the fan curve to let it run slightly warmer before ramping up that last bit that gets louder, like I said I haven't bothered on my xtx because it hasn't been an issue for me and I like my cards quiet. Also if you look at the chart on the bottom of that page that shows temps at 35db the merc is 5 degrees cooler. So if you don't want to bother changing the fan curve then the pulse looks quieter but otherwise I stand by my original assessment.
How did you change the fan curve? Especially, on an AMD card - I've never done it.
I think you are right - the XFX cooler is probably better and I read that the stock fan profile is quite aggressive. I generally don't like modifying fan curve - I was constantly trying to adjust it for my EVGA 3060 XC - I might have even posted about it on here? 'Can't remember. :) But, then EVGA X1 isn't the most intuitive and is not a very popular program? :)
However, I expect this is pretty common on these higher performance cards - so, I'd probably find someone who could help - I would hope.

How did you change the fan curve? Especially, on an AMD card - I've never done it.
Sorry to jump in the convo.
I've never had the 7000 series (yet), but have tried adjusting fan curve for rx 6600/6500xt and the polaris GPU by using AMD Radeon Software (in the sub menu for performance).
On that sub menu you can do overclock, underclock, UV, fan curve control, power limit, even set choose the preset for vram / memory timings.

I think you are right - the XFX cooler is probably better and I read that the stock fan profile is quite aggressive. I generally don't like modifying fan curve - I was constantly trying to adjust it for my EVGA 3060 XC - I might have even posted about it on here? 'Can't remember. :) But, then EVGA X1 isn't the most intuitive and is not a very popular program? :)
However, I expect this is pretty common on these higher performance cards - so, I'd probably find someone who could help - I would hope.
I didn't bother to change it because it's plenty quiet but it's not hard. You can do it from within the driver software by either adjusting the individual points by clicking and dragging them to a different temp or fan % on the graph or change the numbers that represent each point, I'm not describing that well but it's literally either click and drag or type in specific values. From what I've read for the xtx merc you can lower the fan percentage on I believe the second to the last point and it will generally runner slightly warmer but much quieter.

Like another post mentioned you can also lower the power limit to make it run cooler too which is another click and drag setting.

I also have a Merc 310 7900XTX, at stock I never really hear it. When OC, yes but nothing excessive or irritating in my case. The card is better than I expected, newest drivers are very good as well which continue to improve in performance.

Reactions: pavel
like this
I have a Sapphire 7900xtx I am happy with. Could have a little more bling, but I wasn't willing to pay extra.

I would pick Sapphire again, that said my XFX rx6900xt black was also very nice, just not as fast.

I have a Sapphire 7900xtx I am happy with. Could have a little more bling, but I wasn't willing to pay extra.

I would pick Sapphire again, that said my XFX rx6900xt black was also very nice, just not as fast.
Reference or Pulse or Nitro?

The Merc310 XT came down in price in my country - not a lot but a bit. But, $1200 is still too rich for me, at the moment. Pretty good price for that series of card, though - if one compares and of course, compared to Nvidia cards. I wish I waited b4 buying my 3080. :) Well, I'll see what happens in the next month or two - But, you guys convinced me - probably a good card to get in the future.

Reactions: noko
like this
Reference.
The only reason I chose a 3080 over a 6950 XT/6900 XT is because Nvidia is a better performer in Compute and video editing - very reluctantly (biting my tongue) chose that as my upgrade (from a 3060). The 7900 series has some improvement in that area but would require an extra $400-$600 (depending on which 7900 XT/XTX) plus selling my card at around the same price I bought it from. I wish the 6950 XT was better at those tasks because its retail price is only slightly over the price (assuming I got most of my money back) of the 3080. The 6900 series also doesn't include AV1 support?
Edit: Oh, apparently, it will....
https://www.tomshardware.com/news/amd-rx-6000-series-gpus-to-support-the-av1-codec
Well, it's still pretty bad in Blender and Davinci Resolve or I would have bought one. :-/

Does anyone think these cards will be reduced in price or have 'sales' later this year - perhaps, in the summer or if not then, when?
I read about 7900 XT prices falling a bit - but, this seems to be in the USA - as it doesn't seem to be applicable in other countries?
The 7900 XTX is about $200 more - than the XT here - well, the cheapest one and I'm only looking at AIB partner cards - not AMD reference cards. I was thinking, maybe $200 more is worth it but jeez, these cards are soooo expensive outside the USA. However, it's probably a better upgrade over a 3080 10GB?

One reason I want to go AMD, also, is that I would use the card in a dual boot system - so, I'd be booting Linux from time to time and it should be a better 'fit' for that? I'm a bit concerned about the user case I need - Blender and Davinci Resolve - but, I've seen benchmarks and the XTX, anyway, is pretty good - it holds its own in video editing software like Resolve and it's bound to improve in Blender when HIP-RT is more mature.
The consensus seems to be - performance will be at least as good as a 3080 (with Optix).

In gaming, it's a pretty decent upgrade - my display is a 4K TV - so, I should get 4K res. and decent fps for most titles? The 24GB of VRAM should cover everything - gaming, video editing....

I don't want to part with the 3080 but I have a friend who would buy it. I'd have to come with the same $$ I had to buy it in the first place (so 2x the value of the 3080). The XT would be $200 cheaper but it's not as good an upgrade. But, I should consider saving up more, eh? The cards that would probably be in the $$ ballpark - Asrock Phantom Gaming, Sapphire Pulse (XT and XTX is often the cheapest AIB partner card of either model) and XFX Merc310 Ultra/Black - so, I'm okay with any of these cards.

Does anyone think these cards will be reduced in price or have 'sales' later this year - perhaps, in the summer or if not then, when?
I read about 7900 XT prices falling a bit - but, this seems to be in the USA - as it doesn't seem to be applicable in other countries?
The 7900 XTX is about $200 more - than the XT here - well, the cheapest one and I'm only looking at AIB partner cards - not AMD reference cards. I was thinking, maybe $200 more is worth it but jeez, these cards are soooo expensive outside the USA. However, it's probably a better upgrade over a 3080 10GB?

One reason I want to go AMD, also, is that I would use the card in a dual boot system - so, I'd be booting Linux from time to time and it should be a better 'fit' for that? I'm a bit concerned about the user case I need - Blender and Davinci Resolve - but, I've seen benchmarks and the XTX, anyway, is pretty good - it holds its own in video editing software like Resolve and it's bound to improve in Blender when HIP-RT is more mature.
The consensus seems to be - performance will be at least as good as a 3080 (with Optix).

In gaming, it's a pretty decent upgrade - my display is a 4K TV - so, I should get 4K res. and decent fps for most titles? The 24GB of VRAM should cover everything - gaming, video editing....

I don't want to part with the 3080 but I have a friend who would buy it. I'd have to come with the same $$ I had to buy it in the first place (so 2x the value of the 3080). The XT would be $200 cheaper but it's not as good an upgrade. But, I should consider saving up more, eh? The cards that would probably be in the $$ ballpark - Asrock Phantom Gaming, Sapphire Pulse (XT and XTX is often the cheapest AIB partner card of either model) and XFX Merc310 Ultra/Black - so, I'm okay with any of these cards.
Seeing as how there are now game titles where 10GB isn't enough at 4K, forcing one to turn off raytracing and other settings... Yes, it'd be a good move to get a card with a larger VRAM buffer (16GB looks to be a good amount for now).

If you don't mind turning settings off / down because of VRAM constraints, you should be good for a bit longer. It does really suck that Nvidia segmented their line of GPUs so as to keep professionals paying more for higher VRAM, lower performing cards instead of just putting $20 more cost onto their consumer line and doubling the VRAM amount.

Seeing as how there are now game titles where 10GB isn't enough at 4K, forcing one to turn off raytracing and other settings... Yes, it'd be a good move to get a card with a larger VRAM buffer (16GB looks to be a good amount for now).

If you don't mind turning settings off / down because of VRAM constraints, you should be good for a bit longer. It does really suck that Nvidia segmented their line of GPUs so as to keep professionals paying more for higher VRAM, lower performing cards instead of just putting $20 more cost onto their consumer line and doubling the VRAM amount.
Yes, agreed. I really like the card - Asus Tuf gaming and considered either a Ti or 3090 (of the same series) - but, it would have been another $200. That's why I'm wondering if I should save up an additional $200 rather than possibly make the same mistake. I was pretty worried about the 10Gb - but, the card sale was local, the seller seemed okay and that it wasn't mined - and I wasn't finding any Ti or 12gb cards at the time.
Anyway, 'a shame to turn down settings but I'll have to - if that's a solution. I looked at Rx 6950 Xt cards and they are 16gb so enough VRAM but don't perform as well at Compute/video editing tasks - with the software I'd be using. Also, they aren't that much of an upgrade for gaming - but, would be good enough.....but, it's the other area in which they'd be lacking.

Joined the club. Picked up a Power Color reference 7900xt this past weekend.

Honestly the reference model is built like a tank and runs great. I like the size and 2 8pin connectors compared with other upper range GPUs.

Attachments

• IMG_5289.jpeg
    IMG_5289.jpeg
    516.3 KB · Views: 0
Nice they really are tremendous gpu's. I can run 4K VR but it only give 75 FPS with medium/high graphics settings in IL2. There isn't much to be gained visually by SS above 3176x2612 for my hmd but I wanted to see how it handled a native 4K VR hmd and it managed 4K per eye quite well.

I'm worried about my 3080, 10gb - I probably have to sell it to finance an upgrade - at this time, last year, I had $$ but at the moment, I probably have to sell it. I have a friend who might want it - but, what if they change their mind? The 10gb cards will have less demand with all this talk about VRAM and 'insufficient VRAM' - for what I do, it's kind of low for video editing - it's sufficient for some projects but if you need VRAM, programs crash.
Obviously, it's low for ppl who play multiple games - especially new games.
Should I try to sell it soon or just hope - it won't lose too much value and wait until I have enough (extra $) for a 7900 XT?
I think a 7900 XTX won't be doable unless the price comes down considerably - some ppl seem to think they will but I doubt it - Nvidia doesn't care that the 4070 isn't selling - and when AMD releases their mid-tier cards - whatever they are - 7600/7700 XT? - they won't want to price them too low (because of price reductions on the top tier cards - and flagship) - right?
The XTX would be perfect but it's $1500 CAD (incl. taxes) at this time - so, that price is pretty insane for me to even justify - but, that is the card to upgrade a 3080/10gb - just don't think I can do it. In comparison, a Sapphire Pulse 7900 XT (for e.g.) sometimes goes on sale - approx. $1200. I can barely swing that (if bought within the next month or two). Sorry, to go off tangent with boring whining. Cheers.

I'm worried about my 3080, 10gb - I probably have to sell it to finance an upgrade - at this time, last year, I had $$ but at the moment, I probably have to sell it. I have a friend who might want it - but, what if they change their mind? The 10gb cards will have less demand with all this talk about VRAM and 'insufficient VRAM' - for what I do, it's kind of low for video editing - it's sufficient for some projects but if you need VRAM, programs crash.
Obviously, it's low for ppl who play multiple games - especially new games.
Should I try to sell it soon or just hope - it won't lose too much value and wait until I have enough (extra $) for a 7900 XT?
I think a 7900 XTX won't be doable unless the price comes down considerably - some ppl seem to think they will but I doubt it - Nvidia doesn't care that the 4070 isn't selling - and when AMD releases their mid-tier cards - whatever they are - 7600/7700 XT? - they won't want to price them too low (because of price reductions on the top tier cards - and flagship) - right?
The XTX would be perfect but it's $1500 CAD (incl. taxes) at this time - so, that price is pretty insane for me to even justify - but, that is the card to upgrade a 3080/10gb - just don't think I can do it. In comparison, a Sapphire Pulse 7900 XT (for e.g.) sometimes goes on sale - approx. $1200. I can barely swing that (if bought within the next month or two). Sorry, to go off tangent with boring whining. Cheers.
Just go with what you view is the best.
Just like you said, your viable upgrade is rx 7900xt which has 20gb (double your current vram).
Based on your research, the rendering performance is not too shabby and still have quite improvement compared to rtx 3080 and you will definitely see fps increase in gaming.

If you "fear" that 10gb will swing your friend's preference on buying your card and right now you only have cash for the XT, then just go with what you view / think is best.

For me, I would take the XT.

Reactions: pavel
like this
Back