Anybody have 10gb home network here?

IceDigger

[H]F Junkie

I'm thinking of taking the plunge but not sure yet with prices.

Have, and don't recommend unless you can justify the need, or keep it limited to two nodes like a workstation and a NAS.

Unless you're constantly throwing huge files across the network and the bandwidth of gigabit ethernet is somehow holding you back and/or costing you money (e.g., you work from home on large media files), I wouldn't worry about it.

I've been thinking about getting either 2.5gig or 10gig cards and direct wiring my workstation and server so I can transfer a bit faster.
The switches are still expensive, hopefully soon they will have 2.5gig switches that are affordable as that is a decent speed for home use.

nice thing is that you can use 2.5gig with CAT5e
here is the Trendnet card
https://www.amazon.com/TRENDnet-2-5...583620981&sprefix=trendnet+2.5,aps,142&sr=8-1

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I was considering it, basement reno, but really the cost to lay the fiber, transceivers, cards for a couple devices, then adapters for other RJ45 devices like NVIDIA shields, all so i can copy files faster than 120MB/s or so..not worth it.

I don't know if a residential can get the full uses of 10gb because the only problem with ISP is network latency.

I have 10Gig but only use it between my nas/servers, using cheap $30 SFP+ mellanox connect-x3 cards with Cisco DAC cables.
IMO theres just not really a need for over a gig in most home use cases that would really benefit other than server/nas connections.

Older 10g SFP+/Fiber everything about it is reasonable, the transceivers are about the only part that sometimes gets pricey hence why I use DAC cables and used older switches are aplenty.
10g eth on the other hand is a little pricier card wise but the switches even used are insanely costly (especially with 8+ ports).

Ive had an InfiniBand network for the better part of 10 years moving files around 3 24tb servers and one 12tb.

Switches cards and cables are dirt cheap

Ive been eyeing that 4 port mikrotik SFP+ switch just to simplify the wiring though

My switch has 48 copper gig ports and 4 sfp+ ports and I use two of the SFP+. One of them is for central storage using a DAC and another for a vmware host that is used for several services in the network is connected with fiber. For my general day to day operation nothing else in house comes even close to needing 10Gb so everything else is gig or even 100Mb.

I have a Brocade ICX6610-24P and a VDX-6470 as well as a 4 port 10Gbe HP Procurve that has 48x 1Gb ports. I don't know that I'll use the 6740 since it's 40Gb and I don't have any use for that other than as a stack link to the 6610. The 6610 has 8 front 10Gb ports and 4 back 40Gb ports that can be split to 4x4 10Gb links with QSFP to SFP+ cable splitter. I have a bunch of 10Gb cards. Doubt I'll use the Procurve, it's too loud. I got a great deal on the equipment otherwise I'd still be running just plain old 1Gb equipment since so little of my stuff has 10Gb adapters currently.

I'm thinking of taking the plunge but not sure yet with prices.

I have the 12-port QNAP 10GB switch which has 10GB RJ45 and the rest are SFP+ ports. I use Aquantia 10GB cards in my two gaming systems and my NAS has 10GB built-in.

I am pleased with it so far.

Copy speeds between my gaming systems are over 1.2TB/sec while copy to/from the NAS is between 580MB/sec pushing to the NAS and 838+MB/sec pulling from it (It uses a slower celeron based CPU and I only have two Evo SSDs as cache so the NAS is a little slower than the gaming boxes)

I thought about it, but using multiple gigabit connections simultaneously is so much cheaper (at least for now) and works quite well. Any file transfer done using SMB 3.0 will automatically take advantage of all network interfaces that are connected to the same network. I have my file server (Windows Server 2019) and my main gaming machine (Windows 10) both hooked up to the same switch via 3x Gigabit connections. I don't need faster than 3x Gigabit because my file server mainly uses large capacity mechanical drives (except for the OS drive). Most mechanical drives don't have the speed to use more than 3x Gigabit.

Sure I have a 10gb network, and a 40gb network.
I bought it just cause I was using 10gb and wanted more. I honestly dont really make full use of the 40gb though especially now with my atrocious write speeds on Windows Storage Spaces.
I'll sell you all my 40gb hardware for $2400 shipped to anywhere in the US. I got a brand new MSX1024B-2BFS just 2 years ago, and have a bunch of Mellanox dual port network card and fiber cables of varying lengths (20' all the way to 100')

This is the switch that was new 2 years ago and only lightly loaded since:
https://www.provantage.com/mellanox-technologies-msx1024b-2bfs~7MLNX1N9.htm
https://www.partssource.com/parts/mellanox-technologies/msx1024b2bfs/ps38ramwaaf
https://www.barcodesinc.com/mellanox/part-msx1024b-2bfs.htm

And the NICs are 6, dual port Mellanox Connect-X 3 cards. Most of them are model MCX314A-BCBT:
https://www.amazon.com/Mellanox-ConnectX-3-EN-MCX314A-BCBT-network/dp/B00N41YY3G
https://store.mellanox.com/products...-dual-port-qsfp-pcie3-0-x8-8gt-s-rohs-r6.html
https://www.ebay.com/itm/MCX314A-BC...730529?hash=item2857fa9021:g:XxUAAOSw8Sta1cDF
https://www.ebay.com/itm/MCX314A-BC...955233?hash=item42137f5be1:g:Xh4AAOSwSUxeVKhd

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Quarantine? Pfffffttt.... just had 1000ft of S/FTP CMR Cat6a show up... let's do this. :eek:

A portion of my network is on 10G as well. Currently I have my router, NAS, media server, and primary workstation/gaming machine on 10G using Intel X520 SFP+ adapters I got for $30 a piece on eBay, 4x short DAC cables that were under $20 each from Amazon, and a MikroTik CRS305-1G-4S+IN switch ($137 on Amazon) connecting them together.

For my 500/500 FiOS service, I had a Netgear R9000 because it has a 10G SFP+ port, and I just upgraded to an ASUS RT-AX89X which not only has SFP+ but also 10GBASE-T. Today I can't use over a gigabit externally, but I bet it's not far away. Internally it should be beneficial to have this kind of setup if more than one machine is pulling from anything on the 10G segment.

In hindsight, spending the money was not a super great investment, but it was also not terribly expensive. It was fun to plan and implement, and it's neat to see files go fast.

Quarantine? Pfffffttt.... just had 1000ft of S/FTP CMR Cat6a show up... let's do this. :eek:

So, 135 year old plaster and lath walls... hidden walls behind walls.... entirely too much fun for a weekend.

At any rate, fully shielded (S/FTP) links in place. Time to spin down most of the APs (will keep one for wife's equipment).

I've been quarantined since 16 March and am not allowed back to work until 6 Apr.

I'm losing my shit a little being cooped up.

OTOH I can't remember the last time I ever went this long without wearing pants so I have that going for me

I've been quarantined since 16 March and am not allowed back to work until 6 Apr.

I'm losing my shit a little being cooped up.

OTOH I can't remember the last time I ever went this long without wearing pants so I have that going for me

Lol, the only thing with not wearing pants is getting asbestos dust on your junk...

I'm working on getting my Brocade switches set up properly. Got plenty of DAC's and fiber cable to get it done, but I'm a n00b with networking beyond the basics so doing VLAN's and POE properly is taking a bit of time as I only have a little time each day to do anything with it. Fun stuff.

Back