Anybody ever try the same overclock on 2 different PSUs?

Did the better one make any actual difference to overclocking results? It seems like most PSU reviews are full of great data, but they never actually answer the million dollar question.

I'm considering shelving my 5 year old EVGA 1000 GQ in favor of a new Corsair RM1000x. I would be going from well-used to brand new and from mid-grade to high-grade. Should I expect anything other than some peace of mind?

The X99 board you have has a fair amount of capacitors, etc, to filter the ripple. That's one of the key things that matter when it comes to how further you can take your OC. Though, most good PSUs are VERY well below the ATX standard of the specified 120mV of ripple nowadays, along with good voltage regulation, etc. So it really doesn't matter for the average folk at the end of the day.

You'll even see extreme OC'ers use less reputable PSUs instead of stuff like 1600i / EVGA. Like some older 1500W unit when they're doing their OC runs. I'm sure there might be *some rare* cases of where the lowest ripple and tightest voltage regulation possible might get you a Mhz or two more, but I'm also sure it'd be more obvious under sub-zero cooling...

Yeah, I didn't think it would matter much. I just realized as I was reading some PSU reviews that in all this time I've never done an apples to apples comparo. I'll be needing a PSU pretty soon for a build for a kid's birthday, so I'll probably give them this one and buy myself a new one when the time comes. Then I can see if it lets me shave 5mV off my overclock, haha

Probably not.

The motherboards pull up (or down) the voltage accordingly and filter it very well. You obviously don't want a really shady PSU that is all over the place, but usually if it can provide enough power, and is capable of running the machine at stock, you are unlikely to see much of a difference overclocked.

With PSU's you are mostly buying peace of mind as you say.

Back