Any warnings about making my own case?

1337Goat

Gawd
I love working with wood and acrylic, but I don't want to damage any electronic equipment.
Are there any safety guidelines when it comes to dealing with electrostatic discharge or other cataclysmic events?

I've just screwed motherboard stand-off screws directly into wood. Is there anything I need to be wary of?

those are non conductive materials and should be safer to use then metal as long as you make sure there is enough airflow.

Paul from Paul's hardware on youtube has a build series where he built an HTPC on a wooden slab you can check out

Only issue I have seen is that sometimes the "front panel style" USB ports become a lot more hit and miss in operation if they don't have a ground path.

Yeah, anything electronic not attached to the motherboard by metal needs a path back (the front usb ports in my case, for example, all have a metal wire soldered to the outside of the connector which runs back to a grounding screw). Otherwise, a static discharge may run through the component and fry it, and you may have issues with noise in signals.

Reactions: travm
like this
Yep, only concern is grounding. I would ensure your card slots also have a connection to your psu for grounding. They should have a connection via mobo, but to be safe all metal should have a ground path.
And I don't mean to a connector, just tie into a psu chassis screw and call it ground.

Back