Any use for UDIMM DDR3 ECC RAM?

AirCool2

n00b
I have pulled some memory sticks from a PC in the trash. The RAM is M391B1G73BH0-CH9

8GB/stick is a respectable size even today. I figured that this RAM seems to be used in server. Are there any mATX or smaller motherboard / CPU that can make use of them? This is for a general purpose build with a $100 budget for (used) motherboard and CPU.

(FWIW, I have tried the RAM on an Optiplex 980 but it does not seem compatible, it seems its configuration does not have 8GB RAM module support)

Last edited:
AMD CPU's could use it in most of their boards I beleive, Intel only if you use Xeon processors. Intel desktop processors do not support ECC ram.

AMD CPU's could use it in most of their boards I beleive, Intel only if you use Xeon processors. Intel desktop processors do not support ECC ram.
Do you think an AMD E350 APU can make use of them? Here is the motherboard: https://www.asrock.com/mb/AMD/E350M1/

I heard that many motherboard can use ECC RAM even though it says it supports only non-ECC. I don't really need the ECC, just want to use the RAM. It seems my 2 older Intel PCs I have only support 4GB DIMMs. Any ideas why 8GB DDR3 is not supported? Was it just that it was not available then or some other reasons?

Many motherboard can use it, so long as they support it, which many do not. That motherboard does not support ECC ram. AMD APU's do not support ECC only the full Ryzen desktop chips.

- 2 x DDR3 DIMM slots
- Supports DDR3 1066/800 non-ECC, un-buffered memory

They will most likely work on an E350, but in non-ECC mode.

If you have AM3/AM3+ mobo, that will probably be able to use ECC.

FWIW, I installed my 2x8GB ECC memory on my old AMD E350 board and it came up right away. No surprises. It seems kind of wasteful for such a low end CPU but it is the only board I have that can take advantage of the pulls.

AMD would make use of them on some high end AM3/AM3+ boards with tgeir high end chipset only. You have to ckeck which BIOS is compatible. There is no way any APU works with it, neither the AM1 plateforme.
Intel will use them on their Xeon plateform or on the basic server motherboards compatible up to Haswell, even compatible with celeron CPU (which support ECC like the Xeon versions of the desktop CPU).

These are worth a lot more than even 8GB udimms as a lot of 1U servers use them and it's the max size module they will accept. If you find these modules for less than $30/ea, it's usually a steal.

Back