Any Reason Still to NOT get a Liquid Freezer 2 for AM4?

texuspete00

Supreme [H]ardness
Does the Rev 4 hardware basically alleviate all the AM4 woes I been hearing about? Sounds like it might still be a bit of a pita to install, but not toooo bad? Any reason not to get the biggest size I can fit? I realize performance drops off after 280, but for 30 bucks ehh.. Hoping to cool 5900x on an ASUS x570 TUF Gaming Pro in a Phanteks Enthoo primo.

-----------

More Deets for the dedicated :
So I finally gave in bought a 3080 lil bit scalped. Figured I should upgrade the rest of my system from 4790k stuff! I basically had to do a cram session on what's good out there, and I'm struggling the most on cooling! I read the Liquid Freezer 2 is the go to AIO (I have a Corsair 100i who's performance appears to be degrading, considered even reusing until I realized Pi will make my old cpu go to 100C!). Some of the options that allow refilling were appealing, but I don't want to sacrifice too much cooling or noise. I am basically struggling with the decision and was hoping this would push me over the edge (in a good way, to the order page lol).

AMD 5900x
ASUS x570 TUF Gaming Pro
WD Black SN850 1TB NVMe SSD
32GB Ballistix
ZOTAC 3080
Phanteks Enthoo Primo case.

Last edited:
I'm considering a AC Liquid Freezer 2 420mm it as an upgrade for my Le Grand Macho RT if I ever get a 5950X.

I know that the actual difference between the 360 and 420 is mostly just gonna be in heatsoak time, but i'd rather use 140mm fans.

I thought the Liquid Freezer was excellent for AM4 chips.... and was one of best bang for your bucks period for AIO's

The only bad thing I heard about them is for AM4 and it was when they changed the mounting hardware. When they first changed it somewhat recently not all the correct hardware was included to mount it properly. I think it was due to missing the correct screws in some cases but I don't think it was difficult to get replacement screws. There may have also been an issue with mounting the block with some motherboards which have the top x16 slot as close to the CPU socket as possible but that seems to be an issue with a lot of AIOs and nothing specific to the AC AIOs.

I have a similar setup. I was looking at the AC Liquid Freezer II, but they were OOS when I went to buy it. I think GN's Tech Jesus did a video where he compared the three latest designs (AC Liquid Freezer II, EK AIO, and the Lian Li Galahad). The cooling between all three is similar when noise normalized and all three are marginally better than recent Asetek rebrands. I ended up with the EK AIO Basic (without LED fans) for my 5950x, and it's been solid for me for the past several months.

I'm considering a AC Liquid Freezer 2 420mm it as an upgrade for my Le Grand Macho RT if I ever get a 5950X
I switched to FC140 from LGMRT and saw a 6-8c drop in temps. Their new coolers are optimized for Zen 3/11th gen.

Thanks guys. Ultimately I only waited a day or two and got one. With it being the last purchase, I def had ants in my pants. I got the 420 version. It was easy enough to mount by myself. Read some weirdness about needing an extra hand, maybe with a different rev or something (I got the 4).

The only PITA, I wasn't overly impressed with the threading in the cooling block, to put the brackets on. Plastic hole versus screw hole was a hair askew, but bothersome when it wasn't "catching". I didn't think I was gonna get one of the screws in. Ultimately just switched what side I put each screw in and got it to go. Typical "made in China" type of issues I suppose.

The only PITA, I wasn't overly impressed with the threading in the cooling block, to put the brackets on. Plastic hole versus screw hole was a hair askew, but bothersome when it wasn't "catching". I didn't think I was gonna get one of the screws in. Ultimately just switched what side I put each screw in and got it to go. Typical "made in China" type of issues I suppose.
My 1st unit (420mm rev4) had a similar threading issue. I had to return it.
The 2nd unit again had a threading issue. This time I was able to get the screw in with a bit of lube.

Both times, I think it was the screw on the side where the pump wire is routed.

Maybe they had a bad batch - needed to change a bit on their machine or something... QC issues eh

Back