Any REAL benefit for 5950x to go from PC3200 C14 to PC3600 C14?

LGabrielPhoto

2[H]4U
I am new at AMD (last one was a Phenom II 965!) so just trying to figure out if moving to PC3600 C14 from my current PC3200 C14 will offer any real advantages or just for benchmarking.
I do a lot of Photoshop, Lightroom and Capture One. Also Premiere and VrGaming.
Thanks!

I am new at AMD (last one was a Phenom II 965!) so just trying to figure out if moving to PC3600 C14 from my current PC3200 C14 will offer any real advantages or just for benchmarking.
I do a lot of Photoshop, Lightroom and Capture One. Also Premiere and VrGaming.
Thanks!
There are real benefits to memory speed increases on Ryzen. Should be able to find some benchmarks pretty easy looking on google with something like 'ryzen memory speed scaling'.

Also, I'd add that there are real benefits to using 4 sticks of single rank memory or two sticks of dual rank memory over only 2 sticks of single rank. If you're using two sticks of single rank right now you might get more performance if you added another two sticks of the same high quality RAM than by swapping to pair of faster single rank DIMMs.

There are real benefits to memory speed increases on Ryzen. Should be able to find some benchmarks pretty easy looking on google with something like 'ryzen memory speed scaling'.

Also, I'd add that there are real benefits to using 4 sticks of single rank memory or two sticks of dual rank memory over only 2 sticks of single rank. If you're using two sticks of single rank right now you might get more performance if you added another two sticks of the same high quality RAM than by swapping to pair of faster single rank DIMMs.
I am pretty sure my GSkill Royale is dual rank and I am running 4x16GB so my options are limited as I need a lot of RAM. :)

Depending on workload you’d want to think about 4x sticks vs 2x.
Cost of doubling 3200 TVs 4x 3600 then what actual gain you get out of the spend vs other components.

Adobe heavy workloads would benefit from a scratch drive, that’s been documented in their forums ad nauseous.
I’ll assume you’ve got a lot of ready heavy photo work, so a drive that maintain read & write speed across the entire length of the drive would be useful depending on your output file sizes or resolutions.

Cpu core boost isn’t infinite, thermal throttling is a thing over a long sequential workload, take awoke time to log your temps/voltages with a selection of your workflows. If you kick down core loading thru frequency loss then gains in other areas become moot.

Would your workflows punch thru the consumer chipset 128gb ceiling?
Bc that’s a reason to stop spending on small gains, bandage the obvious current non-ram components, and think about hedt when am5 starts to turtle.

Thanks guys
Watch your iops, if you see ssds or nvme drives dropping to spindle speeds over time then you have your magic bullet performance spend right there.
I don’t know what your export completion times are, but significant iops drops or issues scrubbing is a major time suck.

While not heavy professional workload, I was messing with C14 3200 and C18 3866 on my ram and found a significant uplift in 3dmark running at C18 3866 over C14 3200. Performance did improve a bit for cinebench r23 as well, though not as much as 3dmark did.

While not heavy professional workload, I was messing with C14 3200 and C18 3866 on my ram and found a significant uplift in 3dmark running at C18 3866 over C14 3200. Performance did improve a bit for cinebench r23 as well, though not as much as 3dmark did.

You have to benchmark to see the difference, otherwise a few % like 2-3% is imperceptible.

The score difference was 6% in 3dmark, basically requires benchmark to see a difference, but that 6% spread out over a few hours workload is still time saved.

The point is, how much is that uplift worth to you? To me I was thinking I needed to upgrade memory to CL15 3800 but after consideration of what gains CL15 were over my older ram, the cost wasn't worth it. If that 6% nets you a return in hours to days saved in its usable lifetime, then maybe its worth it.

3600 cas 16 is the best perf/value for ryzen. After that you are paying substantial more for slight performance.

Back