Any happy 4080 owners here?

You said it was a shitty card. I said it was a good card shittily priced.

"Good" isn't defined enough in the argument to apply your logic to it.
I said it was a shitty product, as in the whole package.

It's a very simple yes or no. Is a $1598 4080 an equally good card as a $1000 4080? Yes or no?

It is not that simple. In your question, no, it's not equally as "good" because I'm forced to apply a price factor into the definition of "good." In the initial question, you said it was a shitty card, and I disagreed because I think it is a good performing card that has a terrible price. I removed the price factor in my definition of "good" in the initial assessment.

All that to say, I probably agree with you more than you think because the price factor means it isn't a good overall package because the performance is too expensive. And if it was a $800-900 card, the consumers would be very pleased IMO.

It is not that simple. In your question, no, it's not equally as "good" because I'm forced to apply a price factor into the definition of "good." In the initial question, you said it was a shitty card, and I disagreed because I think it is a good performing card that has a terrible price. I removed the price factor in my definition of "good" in the initial assessment.
Yes, you chose to strawman to only one aspect of a product once you've realized that as a whole it would be less good if priced too high.

Yes, you chose to strawman to only one aspect of a product once you've realized that as a whole it would be less good if priced too high.

How exactly am I "strawmanning" when you didn't define your terms? This is a YOU problem. You didn't say what you meant by "good" and "shitty." I, as the reader, am forced to guess, and evidently, I guessed wrong.

As I already stated, I probably agree with you. I just think your tone is obnoxious (once again, as a reader without context...you're probably a decent guy overall ;) ).

How exactly am I "strawmanning" when you didn't define your terms? This is a YOU problem. You didn't say what you meant by "good" and "shitty." I, as the reader, am forced to guess, and evidently, I guessed wrong.
A product's price is its integral part. I didn't have to define anything as the product as a whole was discussed. I didn't mention performance or build quality for a reason, because those don't change with price. Product's market standing and desirability does, that's why a product's price is a crucial qualitative aspect. Special exemptions notwithstanding.

Likewise, the $900 7900XT is also generally considered a bad/pointless product.

A product's price is its integral part. I didn't have to define anything as the product as a whole was discussed. I didn't mention performance or build quality for a reason, because those don't change with price. Product's market standing and desirability does, that's why a product's price is a crucial qualitative aspect. Special exemptions notwithstanding.

Likewise, the $900 7900XT is also generally considered a bad/pointless product.

Have you ever read a GPU review? Here's some 4080 review samples showing that a price is not the integral part you think it is. Sure, it's a factor as to whether or not you buy it, but you can have an objectively good card priced poorly.

Tom's Hardware:
The old cliche about no bad products, just bad prices, rings true once more. Even though the hardware and technology are good, $1,200 feels like too much. If the 4080 drops below $1,000, it would be much nicer; even better would be getting closer to the official RTX 30-series launch prices.

Techspot:
While we absolutely love the performance and features of the RTX 4080, it's hard to get too excited when we know you will have to stomach the $1,200 asking price for the privilege.

Techpowerup:
With a price of $1200 for the RTX 4080 Founders Edition, the GeForce RTX 4080 is expensive. There's no doubt that performance numbers are impressive, and that a lot of tech has been integrated in the product, but in these times I have to wonder "isn't this a bit much?"

PCMag:
There’s no question that the new Nvidia GeForce RTX 4080 Founders Edition provides exceptional gaming performance at a lower price, but that alone doesn’t make it easy to recommend. The fact of the matter is that many gamers aren’t willing to spend over $1,000 for a graphics card, and that means that the RTX 4080 with its gulp-inducing $1,199 price will attract only a small sliver of the buying public in the first place.

Techradar:
The Nvidia GeForce RTX 4080 is unquestionably powerful, and it's a major improvement over its predecessor with performance blowing the RTX 3090 Ti out of the water, but at nearly double the price of the RTX 3080, you really should just buy the RTX 4090 at this point.

Guru3D:
From a hardware and performance point of view, the GeForce RTX 4080 is downright fantastic. Starting at $1199, however, it's very expensive.

Kitguru:
I have no doubts you will be happy with the card – objectively speaking, it's an excellent product. I just can't feel that excited about RTX 4080s in general due to the price, and I'd strongly advise any potential customers hold off until we see what the RX 7900 XTX can bring to the table next month.

So actually, I wasn't "strawmanning." You were using terms outside of journalistic review "norms" and expecting me to understand your meaning.

Wrong. It's a fantastic product, it's just expensive. Two different things: price and quality.
I agree, in RT the 4080 is priced right against the 4090.

If a RTX 4070 comes in at $900, the 4080s will sell out. AMD can’t produce enough 7900XTXs and you have to buy AIB, which is $1100+. The GPU market sucks but it’s about to suck worse.

Last edited:
Price doesn't say anything about the quality of a product, only the quality of the purchase. If the product does what you expect it to do, it will do so whatever the price. The product itself doesn't care about its price, it will not decide to function differently. Hence, the quality of a product objectively stays the same whatever the price.

The quality of the purchase is always a subjective matter, to one person even $100 could be way too expensive for even a 4090 while for another that line can be $4000. So, the answer to the quality of purchase in definition cannot be universally quantified/defined.

Last edited:
I think I am about to hit the cancel button on my FE 4080 at Best Buy.

Over my 3080 ti I would get the following increases (taken from techpowerup except for Dying Light 2 taken from digitalfoundry):

Control 4k RT
4080 32%
4090 97%

Watch Dogs Legion 4k RT
4080 38%
4090 76%

Dying Light 2 4k RT
4080 50%
4090 97%

Cyberpunk 2077 4k RT
4080 41%
4090 103%

Bottom line is the games where I would want or need a big perf increase over my 3080 ti, the 4090 really delivers so much more perf than is reflected in its price difference over the 4080.

Last edited:
We can divorce price just a bit from the product, it is easy to design a bridge it is hard to design a bridge that cost a reasonable price.

It is somewhat easy to make a 4080 performing card for nvidia, challenge is to make it for a good price. With the die size, memory bus width maybe they achieved and just has marvellous margin of maybe the yield of super pricey nvidia 5nm make it a mediocre one.

We can divorce price just a bit from the product, it is easy to design a bridge it is hard to design a bridge that cost a reasonable price.

It is somewhat easy to make a 4080 performing card for nvidia, challenge is to make it for a good price. With the die size, memory bus width maybe they achieved and just has marvellous margin of maybe the yield of super pricey nvidia 5nm make it a mediocre one.
I'm sure their extremely high profit margin factors into that as well.

*Edit* Also lets not forget the whole strategy of trying to either push people up to the 4090 or to buy old 3xxx stock.

I think I am about to hit the cancel button on my FE 4080 at Best Buy.

Over my 3080 ti I would get the following increases (taken from techpowerup except for Dying Light 2 taken from digitalfoundry):

Control 4k RT
4080 32%
4090 97%

Watch Dogs Legion 4k RT
4080 38%
4090 76%

Dying Light 2 4k RT
4080 50%
4090 97%

Cyberpunk 2077 4k RT
4080 41%
4090 103%

Bottom line is the games where I would want or need a big perf increase over my 3080 ti, the 4090 really delivers so much more perf than is reflected in its price difference over the 4080.
The 4090 is a 4K card.
The 4080 is a card that can max anything at 1440p.

The 4080 shouldn’t be an option if you’re gaming at 4K and want the best performance.

The 4090 is a 4K card.
The 4080 is a card that can max anything at 1440p.

The 4080 shouldn’t be an option if you’re gaming at 4K and want the best performance.
The 4080 is bananas overkill for 98% of games at 1440p and will be CPU limited in plenty of games. In fact unless you have a top of the line CPU it will be CPU limited in most games. The 4080 is easily a 4K card except for ray tracing max settings such as the games I showed. The 4080 kind of ends up in no man's land for me and it's price makes no sense.

*Edit* Also lets not forget the whole strategy of trying to either push people up to the 4090 or to buy old 3xxx stock.
I am not sure if there is much old 3xxx, very hard to find higher tier 3xxx new online at reasonable price or that the 4090 at that price point need a push, it is all sold out and would have had with a $1099 4080 imo.

Trying to keep the 2017 to late 2021 pricing alive and trying to have superb high margin because volume will almost certainly go down hill post GPU mining and lockdown era to have something positive to talk about when the numbers get out would be my feeling.

After I was unable to get a 7900xtx I just said screw it and got a 4080. More than two years of waiting I got sick and tired of waiting to get a good gpu that can do decent 4k gaming. For me the 4080 is a good entry level 4k gaming gpu. From now on I can wait a generation or two before buying again. Buy behind the curve from now on and save money because anything more powerful will be even a better gaming experience. Price to get in is expensive but now I am in. Bought 42" LG C2 4k Oled tv to use as a monitor. Quite happy now.

The 4080 is bananas overkill for 98% of games at 1440p and will be CPU limited in plenty of games. In fact unless you have a top of the line CPU it will be CPU limited in most games. The 4080 is easily a 4K card except for ray tracing max settings such as the games I showed. The 4080 kind of ends up in no man's land for me and it's price makes no sense.
I mainly got it for the 2% games like 2077.
I had a 3090 before and it was maxing out games at 1440p, until 2077. The 4080 gets me above 60, and I’m sure DLSS 3.0 will be optimized for the new content, that should take me above 100fps.

Have you ever read a GPU review?
I have. With comprehension, though.

Here's some 4080 review samples showing that a price is not the integral part you think it is. Sure, it's a factor as to whether or not you buy it, but you can have an objectively good card priced poorly.
A $3000 4080 is a good product, got it.

A $3000 4080 is a good product, got it.
A $3000 to make 4080 would be a bad product a $400 to make 4080 sold $3000 I can see the debate around the good piece of design and execution sold too high and the distinction being made

A $3000 to make 4080 would be a bad product a $400 to make 4080 sold $3000 I can see the debate around the good piece of design and execution sold too high and the distinction being made

Don't even waste your time.

my last gaming build was a threadripper + 1080ti. since i skipped two generations RTX 4080 seems like a reasonable purchase. as an upgrade from 3080+ ? maybe not so much. but who cares what other people think if you like it lol

I upgraded to one off a 3080ti. The wife's computer needed an upgrade (1660 Super), so I didn't feel bad doing it.

I consider it an upgrade for 1440 gaming. On average 40% more frames, and it's using less power doing it. 4GB more VRAM for the games that will eat it. Even larger boost in raytracing games, and the frame generation is a nice feature addition where it makes sense. I wouldn't pay anything over $1200 for one though, given that I fundamentally agree they are at least $100 overpriced. It's insane to me people are buying the $1400+ 4080's. Total rip-off at that point given 4090 pricing. Of course, the 4090 is basically impossible to get unless you can visit a microcenter every morning, or are running bots to visit all the websites.

In the techpowerup review they showed less than a 25% overall improvement over the 3080 TI at 1440p with a 5800x so it can come down to the CPU that you have to make a bigger or smaller difference. A 4080 in most games at native 1440p is just silly especially if you don't have the very fastest CPUs out there so it makes more sense to use DSR and play most games at 4K. For instance even with my 3080 TI there are only about two or three games that I even play at 1440p and that's because they have ray tracing and all of the rest I play at 4K. The way I look at it with a 3080 TI is do I want to spend 1200 bucks to get 30 to 50% more performance at 4k (DSR) or do I want to spend 1600 bucks to get 75 to 100% more performance? To me that's an easy question to answer as it's absolutely worth $400 more to get the vastly superior performance of the 4090.

Last edited:
In the techpowerup review they showed less than a 25% overall improvement over the 3080 TI at 1440p with a 5800x so it can come down to the CPU that you have to make a bigger or smaller difference. A 4080 in most games at native 1440p is just silly especially if you don't have the very fastest CPUs out there so it makes more sense to use DSR and play most games at 4K. For instance even with my 3080 TI there are only about two or three games that I even play at 1440p and that's because they have ray tracing and all of the rest I play at 4K. The way I look at it with a 3080 TI is do I want to spend 1200 bucks to get 30 to 50% more performance at 4k (DSR) or do I want to spend 1600 bucks to get 75 to 100% more performance? To me that's an easy question to answer as it's absolutely worth $400 more to get the vastly superior performance of the 4090.
Nvidia isn’t selling frames this time around, they are selling RT. You can see only 25% in raw fps increase, but that jumps above 40% in RT and no comparison when using DLSS 3.0. A 4090 will require a PC rebuild of premium parts to alleviate the bottleneck, reducing your performance per dollar.

A new 3080Ti FE is $899 but you can’t find one, and can’t find any new AIB card under $1100 right now. So buying new, the 4080 is the better choice.

Sorry but they are still most certainly selling frames in rasterization as well as RT. The rasterization gap is still quite large over the 4080 if you have the proper CPU. But really you need the proper CPU to be running a 4080 also as games are getting more CPU demanding with ray tracing even. I'm doing a 13700k build now so the only card I would even personally consider would be the 4090 as it's $400 additional cost over the 4080 when you were already spending $1,200 is well worth it for the ray tracing for sure. Again for me personally the 4080 is just in no man's land especially at its price. I'm guessing that overdrive ray tracing update for Cyberpunk 2077 it's going to make the 4090 look a lot more useful too. I just can't stand the thought of spending $1,200 and having to compromise on settings in any game when for just $400 more I won't have to compromise for the foreseeable future.

Last edited:
In the techpowerup review they showed less than a 25% overall improvement over the 3080 TI at 1440p with a 5800x
With a 5800x3d hardware unboxed seem to have a much bigger gap, 189 avg, 150 1% min vs 137/111, +38%/+35%:

1440p-p.webp

Could be the game choosen obviously.

Sorry but they are still most certainly selling frames in rasterization as well as RT. The rasterization gap is still quite large over the 4080 if you have the proper CPU. But really you need the proper CPU to be running a 4080 also as games are getting more CPU demanding with ray tracing even. I'm doing a 13700k build now so the only card I would even personally consider would be the 4090 as it's $400 additional cost over the 4080 when you were already spending $1,200 is well worth it for the ray tracing for sure. Again for me personally the 4080 is just in no man's land especially at its price. I'm guessing that overdrive ray tracing update for Cyberpunk 2077 it's going to make the 4090 look a lot more useful too. I just can't stand the thought of spending $1,200 and having to compromise on settings in any game when for just $400 more I won't have to compromise for the foreseeable future.
During the presentation, Nvidia wanted us to focus on the green bars more than the gray ones.

What resolution you game at?

During the presentation, Nvidia wanted us to focus on the green bars more than the gray ones.

What resolution you game at?
Native resolution is 1440p but I only use that for the insanely demanding games with ray tracing such as cyberpunk 2077. All of the other games I use DSR to mostly play at 4K and even 5K for older games.

I cannot imagine anyone being unhappy with the performance of the 4080, it is a solid card. The price though, absolutely. Pretty sure no one thinks it is worth $1200, but I honestly do not think Nvidia will budge. Nvidia will just make more 4090's and happily charge you $1600+ for it as it seems that there is no end of people that are more than happy to pay that much and Nvidia will keep the inventory of 4080's lower so they will not be an inventory burden and can afford to keep prices elevated and push everyone to the high margin 4090. AMD will in turn happily charge you $1000+ for the 7900XTX and with no downward pressure, prices will stay inflated for a while until the well dries up anyway. Hopefully that will not take long, but I would not count on it anytime soon, even in today's financial climate. On the AMD side it appears that 7900XTX AIB prices like the Nitro+ are getting inflated to $1200 at places like NewEgg, which makes absolutely no sense to me. I have a reference 7900XTX and am pleased with the performance, but after some fiddling I think I want one with a better cooler, yet at $1200 for a Nitro+ or TUF version I think I may just as well pick up a 4080 FE or maybe even a 4090.

I have a 5800x3d, so it was greater than that. Yes, if you are still on anything less than a 5800x3d/AM5/Intel 13 any of these new GPU's really aren't worth it. You just won't have the CPU. Of course, at this point getting a 3080 12GB+ level card new is increasingly difficult, leaving pretty much only the 4080/7900xtx as the only 'new' choice to give one that level of performance.

I have a 5800x3d, so it was greater than that. Yes, if you are still on anything less than a 5800x3d/AM5/Intel 13 any of these new GPU's really aren't worth it. You just won't have the CPU. Of course, at this point getting a 3080 12GB+ level card new is increasingly difficult, leaving pretty much only the 4080/7900xtx as the only 'new' choice to give one that level of performance.
Exactly. Once the over priced 4070 is released, the 4080s will sell out. People will still think the 4090 is the card to get even thought they can’t get one and nothing with performance faster than the 3090Ti will be available.

Nvidia will laugh to the bank because people will be forced to buy the 4070s if they want a new gpu. Their plan of “sell through” has price fixed the GPU market. I won’t be surprised if they limited 4070 FE production and allow AIBs to push the prices above $900.

Last edited:
I just built a partially new system, system in sig, but did a i9 13900k with 32GB DDR5 5600, and some other stuff plus parts from my current system mixed in. I had the RTX-3080 10GB, and it was good, but not great for 3840 X 1600res with Ultra game settings. I was so against getting a new nVidia 4000-Series card due to pricing, but thought the 4090 is at least a beast and truly a huge upgrade, but it's always out of stock.

So yesterday just for fun, was surfing the Best Buy website, yep 4090 out, but then also looked at the 4080 FE and it was in stock $1199, and I also had a very old $200 Gift Card in my wallet since a long time ago, used that too, and it was $999. Yes I wish I could've gotten the 4090, but it's so hard to get, plus it is another $500 higher or so. I am getting ripped for buying this card, everyone telling me what a terrible deal it is, for such little performance gain. and I don't disagree totally, yeah this card should be $999 tops, really should be $899, or just get the 4090. I understand that. But I got the 4080 FE and sticking with it for now.

What can my PC play now at what settings?

Alienware 38" Ultrawide 3840 X 1600res
i9 13900k
Z790 Motherboard
32GB DDR5-5600
RTX-4080 FE

I mostly play World of Warcraft at Ultra super settings, Halo Infinite, Destiny 2, might try New World MMO, and might get WarHammer 40k Darktide.

I did exactly as you did, sir. Was trolling Best Buy (account logged in) hoping to find a 4090 FE. Negative. But there was a 4080 FE...bought it. Picking it up today from local shop.

Congrats on your new rig!! Looks awesome!

I finished the rebuild and ended up with:

Ryzen 9 7900X
Asus Prime X670E-Pro WiFi
32 GB Corsair Vengance DDR5-6400
2 TB Samsung M2 PCIE 4.0 HD
ASUS TUF GeForce 4080
Corsair ICU 4000 Case
EVGA 1000W PSU

It was a ridiculous amount of money that I spread out over two months but, easily the smoothest build I've ever done and a significant jump in performance. I decided to do Windows 11. I've played a little bit of Baldurs Gate 3, Modern Warfare and Darktide since it was finished. I can hear ever so slight coil whine but really with headphones on (even with them off) its barely noticable. Temps are great.
IMG_8017.jpg

Ryzen 9 7900X
ASUS TUF GeForce 4080
Corsair ICU 4000 Case
EVGA 1000W PSU

It was a ridiculous amount of money that I spread out over two months but, easily the smoothest build I've ever done and a significant jump in performance. I decided to do Windows 11. I've played a little bit of Baldurs Gate 3, Modern Warfare and Darktide since it was finished. I can hear ever so slight coil whine but really with headphones on (even with them off) its barely noticable. Temps are great.
View attachment 538384

Very nice.

Ryzen 9 7900X
ASUS TUF GeForce 4080
Corsair ICU 4000 Case
EVGA 1000W PSU

View attachment 538384
Very nice build! My next upgrade is replacing my 3900x with a 5950x and move up from W10 to W11. Probably after tax season.

Back