Any happy 4080 owners here?

The RTX-2080 launched in September 2018, the RTX-3090 launched in September 2020, and the RTX-4090 launched in September 2022. So I would predict a September 2024 release for the 5090.

Rumored performance for the 5090 is crazy, supposed to be a big leap over the 4090.
Given the shortage of 4090 wouldnt it make sense for Nvidia to milk this a while longer though? I dont quite understand why they are so scarse. And if its due to political issues then wouldnt that affect 5090 as well.

The RTX-2080 launched in September 2018, the RTX-3090 launched in September 2020, and the RTX-4090 launched in September 2022. So I would predict a September 2024 release for the 5090.

Rumored performance for the 5090 is crazy, supposed to be a big leap over the 4090.
You've seen crazy jumps predicted? I have read that 4090 > 5090 isn't going to be as big as a jump as 3090 > 4090 was.

MOre recent:
https://www.msn.com/en-us/lifestyle...eavily-influenced-by-amd-s-rdna-4/ar-AA1lYJjK

The source also gave some clues about the raw power of the Blackwell architecture. “As for performance, Blackwell’s rasterization uplift over Ada will not be as impressive as Ampere [RTX 30] to Ada [RTX 40]. However, the RTX 4090 was cut down by more than 10%, so it’s plausible we could make the 5090 ‘feel’ like a similar uplift if we felt threatened.”

"If we felt threatened"

So they're going to hold back by default and only let it loose if AMD has something good? Cool, thanks Nvidia...

Lol don't take that moores law guy seriously, he's been wrong a bunch of times already. Nvidia has released new flagships in the past even when AMD could not compete with them. They released the 1080 Ti when all AMD had was the wimpy RX 480, then they later released the 2080 Ti when AMD's best was Vega 64 which couldn't even hold a candle to the 1080 Ti. Just because AMD has nothing to compete with a 4090 does NOT mean that nvidia will just refuse to release a 5090 until there's competition. Nvidia waits for nobody.

They released the 1080 Ti when all AMD had was the wimpy RX 480, then they later released the 2080 Ti when AMD's best was Vega 64 which couldn't even hold a candle to the 1080 Ti. Just because AMD has nothing to compete with a 4090 does NOT mean that nvidia will just refuse to release a 5090 until there's competition. Nvidia waits for nobody.
Vega 64 wasn't out yet when the 1080ti launched. Nvidia was concerned enough about the new AMD HBM cards that they produced a very over spec card to the joy of enthusiast gamers. The follow up flagship, the RTX2080ti was a mere 25-30% better then the 1080ti at launch because Nvidia had no perceived threat coming from AMD and counted on the anemic over-hyped RT to swoon customers.

So the 5090 will release in October if history is any indicator, and spoiler alert it's faster than a 4090? Wow. In the meantime my 4080 is great for AI / Stable Diffusion. 16gb is a sweet spot for image generation. I prefer my 7900 XTX for gaming though.

Vega 64 wasn't out yet when the 1080ti launched. Nvidia was concerned enough about the new AMD HBM cards that they produced a very over spec card to the joy of enthusiast gamers. The follow up flagship, the RTX2080ti was a mere 25-30% better then the 1080ti at launch because Nvidia had no perceived threat coming from AMD and counted on the anemic over-hyped RT to swoon customers.

That's literally what I said...they released the 1080 Ti when all AMD had was the RX 480 in their newest lineup, obviously that means that Vega 64 didn't exist yet. I don't think they released the 1080 Ti because Vega really concerned them, if it even concerned them at all. It ain't like AMD never released an HBM GPU before Vega, how many people remember the RX Fury and how well THAT went? :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
That's literally what I said...they released the 1080 Ti when all AMD had was the RX 480 in their newest lineup, obviously that means that Vega 64 didn't exist yet. I don't think they released the 1080 Ti because Vega concerned them, if it even concerned them at all. It ain't like AMD never released an HBM GPU before Vega, how many people remember the RX Fury and how well THAT went? :ROFLMAO:
Ya I worded that poorly. My point was, that you weren't getting was, that Nvidia gave us the mighty 1080ti because they were concerned at the time of maintaining the halo card position with the upcoming release of the Vega64. So they insured it by delivering an overly spec'ed card.

Ya I worded that poorly. My point was, that you weren't getting was, that Nvidia gave us the mighty 1080ti because they were concerned at the time of maintaining the halo card position with the upcoming release of the Vega64. So they insured it by delivering an overly spec'ed card.

Again I don't believe they were concerned at all, that's just what people like to believe, that Nvidia ONLY releases something new if they are "scared". Let's go back even further then when Nvidia gave us the GTX 780, what GPU from AMD were they supposed to be scared of to be releasing a GTX 780 when the HD 7970 could definitely not compete with that and the 680 was holding it's own just fine at the time?

Again I don't believe they were concerned at all, that's just what people like to believe, that Nvidia ONLY releases something new if they are "scared". Let's go back even further then when Nvidia gave us the GTX 780, what GPU from AMD were they supposed to be scared of to be releasing a GTX 780 when the HD 7970 could definitely not compete with that and the 680 was holding it's own just fine at the time?
They don't only, but they give the best when they do :rolleyes:
Also the GTX780 wasn't a major leap over the HD 7970GHz ed. scoring 90% to the 780's 100% on Techpowerup's rankings. 5 months later we had a R9 290x and a 780ti which were virtually ties.

They don't only, but they give the best when they do :rolleyes:
Also the GTX780 wasn't a major leap over the HD 7970GHz ed. scoring 90% to the 780's 100% on Techpowerup's rankings. 5 months later we had a R9 290x and a 780ti which were virtually ties.

TPU's database isn't reflective of how the performance delta's were on launch day/year. https://www.techpowerup.com/review/nvidia-geforce-gtx-780/26.html

The 7970 was more like 76% to the 780's 100% and the Ghz Edition being around 83%. Anyways idk why we're even bothering to think we can know how companies operate. Maybe Nvidia was in fact concerned, and if this is the case that Nvidia won't bother releasing the best unless they feel threatened then RIP to the 5090 ever coming out within the next 4 years because AMD can't compete in the flagship tier once again next gen.

Nvidia has share holders and will maintain a release schedule.
With rumors of AMD not pursuing flagship tier until RDNA 5 with a full chiplet arc, I would guess the RTX5090 to offer gains similar to those of the 2080ti did. 30%'ish?

I would say if you want a 4xxx series just wait for the 5xxx series to release later this year. The newest series pricing should push the older prices down some. Just my two cents anyway.

Maaaan I tell you. I’ve been reading thru these comments last few days and really engaged. I had no idea folks take their gaming rigs so serious. I just upgraded my m17 R1 from 2014 to a m18 R1 with RTX4080 i913900k because the numbers looked good giving no thought otherwise. Could’ve gone with the RTX 4090 but didn’t think it mattered. I game on the LG 45” OLED which i love. I need to stay away from these forums. The more I read the more I learn. I may start second guessing my purchases. 😀 lol

Maaaan I tell you. I’ve been reading thru these comments last few days and really engaged. I had no idea folks take their gaming rigs so serious. I just upgraded my m17 R1 from 2014 to a m18 R1 with RTX4080 i913900k because the numbers looked good giving no thought otherwise. Could’ve gone with the RTX 4090 but didn’t think it mattered. I game on the LG 45” OLED which i love. I need to stay away from these forums. The more I read the more I learn. I may start second guessing my purchases. 😀 lol
Maybe people should second guess their purchases. There's a reason the 4080 Super uses a better die (albeit small improvement) AND got a $200 price cut.

Same reason the 20-series got a Super refresh. People weren't buying the ridiculous launch cards. That said, if people have the money to not care about $200 here or there, then yeah, probably doesn't matter to you then and you should be happy if you feel you got what you wanted at a fair price.

I would take every rumor with a big grain of salt.

The prototype might theoretically be able to reach that but every manufacturer usually cuts down their cards to make them more profitable to sell in the market.

The current 4090 is actually cut down about 10% from what it could hav e been.

Yeah don't worry, soon a 240hz or maybe even 480hz OLED will come out to make you want to upgrade and then you'll need to upgrade your video card to match the new refresh rate!

The upgrade cycle is infinite when it comes to tech. Once you walk this path it just becomes a matter of 'when' you upgrade rather than IF.

Nvidia has share holders and will maintain a release schedule.
With rumors of AMD not pursuing flagship tier until RDNA 5 with a full chiplet arc, I would guess the RTX5090 to offer gains similar to those of the 2080ti did. 30%'ish?

By releasing a 'refresh' cycle in the Supers, Nvidia stays in the news cycle and on the minds of people who have been waiting to upgrade.

Also they can take advantage of process maturation to sell the Super cards at good margins while looking like "good guys" by knocking down a couple of price tags that were ridiculous in the initial launch.

Back